HbA1c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that it is good and it is the same as my reading the last time it was taken. If you want to show off then just a tad lower would be better but no higher since you are right below the 6.5 lower limit regarded as being diabetic.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just went elsewhere on this site and it said this.......

HbA1c as a diagnostic test

The HbA1c test may also be used as a way of diagnosing diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes. The test is useful as it is affected less by short term issues such as illness, which can temporarily increase blood glucose levels.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) suggests the following diagnostic guidelines:
HbA1c below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%): Non-diabetic
HbA1c between 42 and 47 mmol/mol (6.0–6.4%): Impaired glucose regulation (IGR)
HbA1c of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) or over: Type 2 diabetes

luizalotos

Hi everyone,

I was pre diabetic on control diet but from beginning of this year my levels rose to 9.5% and staying on this level. My GP prescribe me Metformin once a day 500mg , 2 months ago. I know that is help me to manage my sugar levels but is that necessary ?

Thank you for any replay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The debate about Metformin continues but the opinion held by some people including me is that it does not do much for your blood sugar levels. I don't know if it is necessary or not and will leave that decision to your GP.

There are stronger drugs which can help but I prefer a life without tablets if possible since I am one of those unfortunate people that get the side effects of the pills and not much of the intended benefit.

Because of that I pay more attention to the food I eat and I have found that eating properly has a much greater effect on my sugar levels than any pill I have taken so far.

Carbdodger

I gave up on the met as it made me feel rotten the whole time. Bit like a permanent hangover. So its your decision to try or not. Some say it has heart benefits. I keep my Hba1c in the low 5's with a low carb diet and exercise only.
My last test was taken at a new GP practice. They called me in after the test to actually check that I was diabetic! Cheek of it. Had to "justify" my status to a disbelieving doctor.
Cd

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I always feel like I am hungover, I stopped taking the met for a week because of the metformin quickstep and within 24 hours felt like I had woken up. I have got fbg's at about 6 and under with diet and exercise so my come off it soon.