iBGStar Meter

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just started using this meter this week and wondered if anybody had used this and if they'd had any issues with it.

I carried out a test at lunchtime with a reading of 12.8. I wasn't convinced this was correct as the sample window didn't fill up correctly.

I then did 3 more test and these ranged from 8.9 - 10.4.

I then decided to try my old faithful meter and got a reading of 7.8.

I carried out a control test prior to using the meter at the beginning of the week and this came out fine but now I'm at a loss as to why I would get results with such a big swing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DaveNN

Your experience mirrors mine totally.
I was informed that doing an immediate retest may mean that the blood sample has become oxidised, or that squeezing near to the site could have skewed the figures, due to plasma being introduced.
On reading elsewhere the theory is that this would reduce the reading- with me it increased it.

I did a retest, after speaking to them ( and using the control solution) and I presented a reading which tallied with the first.

Being a gadget freak, I like the IBGStar and will continue to use it - providing the doc does a script for the strips when I am given the good/bad/indifferent news on Friday morning.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I liked the idea of the IBStar also from a gadget point of view. I went back to my old meter as it seemed to have been more accurate.

I had no problem with getting strips on prescription. Will probably go back to the IBStar to use up the strips at some point and will keep this advice in mind as I may get more accurate results.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It always seemed to give higher results and I ended up having hypo symptoms but the IBGStar said it was fine. On testing with my old meter it was indeed below 4.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Revisiting this thread I just acquired an iBGstar and on first few tests immediately realised it is giving me results approximately 1mmol higher than my usual freestyle meter. I have used the test solution but it stated it was within range at 6.6mmol.

I went for the IBGstar because the strips are £8 a pot cheaper than the freestyle ones, looks like there might be a reason for this.

I'm going to stick with this seeing as I have 75 test sticks and I'll see if the discrepancy is constant at 1mmol higher, if so I'll just allow for the discrepancy. If it's inconsistent then I guess it will be pointless continuing with it.

H

Hooked

I have one of these meters and absolutely love it. The results always just a few points of a difference between it and my old meter; which I admit I compared it to when I first got it. (That was after getting a Glucomen LX Plus which gave very varied results of up to 3mmols difference, though I do wonder now if that had anything to do with the strips recall for the Glucomen.)

A difference of up to 1mmol wouldn't worry me; there is a margin of error with all Blood glucose testing meters.

SewK8

I have one and yes, it showed slightly higher readings but with the old freestyle machine I was going low an awful lot. The ibg seems much more level and now I have an expert machine the results are about the same.
Kat

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The discrepancies I am getting are much bigger than I first thought. last test the freestyle gave me 5.6 which is about what I would expect given my carb intake and exercise level, IBGstar gave me 8.8 1 minute later which is the highest reading I've had for months. Plus or minus .5mmol I can live with but that's just ridiculous. i have a contour xt as well and I will try that tomorrow for comparison, when I can get it to work it usually reads quite close to the freestyle, but tend to get a lot of strip errors so I don't use it much.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the freestyle which is disappointing

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Again, tested this morning with both meters. IBGstar gave me 8.8, Freestyle gave me 5.4

I called the manufacturer this morning and they are sending me a BGstar so I can check against that.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Again, tested with three different meters

Freestyle gives 5.2
Ibgstar gives 7.6
Contour xt gives 6.1

I have to say I really don't like the contour, I get far too many bad test strips, for convenience the freestyle is best but as I self finance 2/3 of my test strips they are a bit too expensive.

So big question mark now over the freestyle and the iBGstar devices, frankly I really hope its not the Freestyle as Ive been using that for the last few months and been happy with what I thought was my improved bg control which now averages 5.8mmol. Sadly I cant even look at my HBA1c result as they keep screwing up the samples, got to have yet another next week.

H

Hooked

Thommothebear said:
Again, tested this morning with both meters. IBGstar gave me 8.8, Freestyle gave me 5.4

I called the manufacturer this morning and they are sending me a BGstar so I can check against that.

Way to big a difference, isn't it. Let us know how you get on please.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I have been using an iBGStar now for nearly six months. At first I was also using my old meter at the same time until I was confident with it but the size and convenience and integration with my iPhone caused me to stop using the other meter after about a week.

I have total confidence in the accuracy of the meter which has now been effectively validated by hBA1c tests over the same period.

What we are all seeking (i think) is to monitor impact of specific foods or lack of, and trends. The iBGStar does this just as perfectly as any other meter I have ever used and I cannot fault it.

I will not go back to using anything else and wish I had bought one years ago - best thing I have bought in a long time.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have the bgstar, and the ibgstar and just them.

I get virtually the same results as when i use my contour next and aviva expert

I few years back i had the wavesense jazz, virtually the same as the bgstar, and that was thought to be one of the most precise on the market at the time..

I currently prefer the bgstar as you can tag meals on the meter, its larger with a better screen, then you can download the data to the iphone at another time

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another update - the IBGstar is still giving completely inconsistant results and the latest HBa1c is entirely consistant with the results I get from the Freestyle.

Very unimpressed with the support from the BGStar manufacturers, the promised BGstar never turned up. Very impressed with Abbot who did send me free control solution AND another Freestyle meter when I queried their meter apparantly reading low compared to the other two (it seems it was fine), still getting lots of strip errors with the contour.

H

Hooked

Thommothebear said:
Another update - the IBGstar is still giving completely inconsistant results and the latest HBa1c is entirely consistant with the results I get from the Freestyle.

Very unimpressed with the support from the BGStar manufacturers, the promised BGstar never turned up. Very impressed with Abbot who did send me free control solution AND another Freestyle meter when I queried their meter apparantly reading low compared to the other two (it seems it was fine), still getting lots of strip errors with the contour.

That's very disappointing for you. You should send them off an email to let them know of the issues you've had and the lack of the second monitor turning up; otherwise they'll not learn to improve from it.
I'm grateful my wee iBGStar is working out well for me, my HBA1C from the Dr proved consistent with the results the meter was giving me.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Code Free meter, bought it when my old Doctor retired and I had to change to a new one that implemented the NICE guidelines for type 2 diabetics. I now get one test strip a week! as the test strips for the Code Free meter is low compared to the other meters on the market, I bought one.

The ISO standard for the accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters is:-
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 4.2 mmol/L
Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 4.2 mmol/L or more.

I have found the Code Free very consistent in results compared to the one touch ultra 2,that I have been using (still do one day a week)
The only issue with the code free is the finger pricker whose spring catch stopped working consistently after 2 months.

The meter itself is very good and works on a smaller blood sample compared to my other meter. So very pleased with the code free

H

Hooked

I've been put on a CGM on Monday for a week; it will be interesting to see how the results compare to my iBGStar.

H

Hooked

Just an update:
The iBGStar proved very reliable in comparison to the CGM I had attached for the week. Only one test with a discrepancy and the nurse felt this was on the part of the CGM as it was a time when I was having a lie in and not a lot of movement. Very interesting to see.