Evening highs

sarah1282

Ok so most people get the dawn phenomenon but me I get high in the evening. Today I did an experiment I have not eating since 2pm my levels have stayed between 5 and 6 all afternoon. I tested every hour it gets to 8pm test im was 8 test again at 9pm and im now 9.
Whats that about??? Any ideas?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you take your basal insulin?

I found with Lantus taken in the evening only my levels did that as the dose was only lasting 20 or so hours rather than the full 24 hours. I now split my dose having half in the evening and half in the morning and find my control has been better (when I get the bolus right that is!!).

HTH
Angie

sarah1282

Hi Angie, I take my lantus in the evening too. Thats a great idea about splitting the doses I take my lantus at 10pm so should I half it and take the other half at 10am

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my evening dose about 8pm but my morning one is usually just after 6.30am. My DSN just said try and make it the same time each day.
I just knocked a unit off the evening dose and took it the next morning each day until doses were equal.
I find I can now get more control as there is always basal in my system.
Regards
Angie

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be high before bed as my Lantus doesn't last the full 24 hours either.
But adding an extra unit to my dinner insulin has been a quick easy fix for me