What symptoms did you have prior to diagnosis?

Hi All,

I had a blood test yesterday morning as doc suspects Diabetes, I must say after online research I thought of it myself too, but I'm sure you all know the risks of google, it can give you all sorts :/

So I've been pretty rough over the past maybe 6 weeks, it's got progressively worse over the past week. I feel as though I'm continually complaining about something different, which after googling all of my symptoms it suggests diabetes.

For the past 6-8 weeks I've suffered really severe itching, mostly on the backs of my legs and sometimes my arms but it can come up anywhere, it lasts a while and then disappears. I could rip my skin off its so bad. I've caused bruises all over my legs from scratching so hard!

I've also seen a doctor last week for kidney pain (which only lasted two days) and frequent urination for maybe again a month - 6 weeks, I've been waking in the night desperate and during the day I'm probably going every 30 min! Everyone's commenting on how much I go to the bathroom!!

I've had a few days over the last 3-4 days which I've had blurry vision ( I said I felt like I had a film over my eyes) nothing was totally clear, and I'm sure I have pretty great vision usually! This came with headaches over the weekend.

I'm also having a pretty bad issue with thrush, I've had it 3 times over the past 2 months! It drives me mad.

All I do is complain about different things, they must all mean something but I'm sure people are getting bored of hearing I'm unwell for one reason or another.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions or what made them get tested etc.

Thanks for reading :)

Chelsey

Dazvw1

I was ill for a week before i got tested constantly without a drink in my hand, peeing every 5mins, i couldnt see peoples faces my vision was blurred, ive only had type 1 for 9months still struggle to control it, when i finally got tested on new years eve just gone my blood was over 30 flashing high on the machine

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Netty70

I was thirsty all the time and suffering terrible night sweats
I asked the nurse when I went for holiday jabs if I could be on the change I'm only 42 but you never know lol
After water samples and bloods tests one week later I was diagnosed diabetic

Marfmama

I lost a stone in 4 weeks, sooooo thirsty all the time, waking up to pee in the night, waking up tired despite just having had 14 hours sleep, I had a terrible day of severe vomiting a few days before diagnosis, at the time thought it was a bug but think now it could have been the diabetes. I was so tired I was having naps in the afternoon and felt clammy and dizzy if I got stressed

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1) lost over 10% of my bodyweight
2) drinking like a fish
3) eating like a horse
4) peeing like a horse :D
5) oddly, my vision improved
6) foul moods
7) generally feeling like sh!t, tired, lethargic, sleeping poorly
8) poor sporting performance over shorter distances, but improved endurance - better fat burning I'm guessing

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
The only symptoms I had was thrush about 2/3 times! I never felt Ill or unwell.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
ElyDave said:
1) lost over 10% of my bodyweight
2) drinking like a fish
3) eating like a horse
4) peeing like a horse :D
5) oddly, my vision improved
6) foul moods
7) generally feeling like sh!t, tired, lethargic, sleeping poorly
8) poor sporting performance over shorter distances, but improved endurance - better fat burning I'm guessing

Snap, up every hour in the night for a pee and a pint of water. Like a wassock I ignored it even though I did know what was really.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Nothing, no symptoms. Just a normal blood test for BP medication discovered t2, shocked and surprised I was, and still am.

Thanks for all your replies!

Had the finger prick test this morning after fasting and that was 4.2 and blood tests came back fine too!!

Seems its not diabetes but wish someone could tell me why im getting all of these symptoms :/

MarathonMan81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weight loss. I'm 6 foot 2 and my weight plummeted to under 11 stone, eugh!
Up 4/5 times a night to pee and moan in pain as i had excruciating muscle cramps in my feet, calves and ankles. The muscle cramps were the reason why i went to see the doc in the first place
Dehydration also. I remember nearly choking on my toast as i had no saliva!
Tiredness also. My arm and shoulder would ache just after brushing my teeth and shaving!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My symptoms were : Weight gain despite eating sensibly, frequent urination, very slow healing, tired all the time. All pretty much OK now that my Bg is under control.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thommothebear said:
My symptoms were : Weight gain despite eating sensibly, frequent urination, very slow healing, tired all the time. All pretty much OK now that my Bg is under control.

but the tongue is still blue?

Dial999

Make sure you get back to the doctors and find out what is wrong. My friend was told she probably had diabetes, but it turned out to be PBC, an auto immune liver disease with many symptoms similar to diabetes, such as itching.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MarathonMan81 said:
Weight loss. I'm 6 foot 2 and my weight plummeted to under 11 stone, eugh!
Up 4/5 times a night to pee and moan in pain as i had excruciating muscle cramps in my feet, calves and ankles. The muscle cramps were the reason why i went to see the doc in the first place
Dehydration also. I remember nearly choking on my toast as i had no saliva!
Tiredness also. My arm and shoulder would ache just after brushing my teeth and shaving!

I forgot my muscle cramps. I was jumping out of bed at least once a night as my calves tied into knots.

I went down to 60kg (9 1/2 stone) at 5'8".

Funnily I was able to run a 23 mile fell race with 1200m of elevation change in 4h 25m, 33rd male the day before I had my blood tests at my GPs

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Glad to hear that you don't appear to have diabetes but your symptoms certainly sounded like you had it. I just have to say that I have had diabetes since 1995 and didn't really have any obvious symptoms except for about three or four days and the main one was extreme thirst. My father had diabetes and so I knew what to look out for so I took a urine sample to the doctor and said I thought I had diabetes and he dipped it and confirmed it. I went to the hospital the next day and had sugar levels of 22. They wanted to put me onto insulin traight away but I held out for about eight years before I eventually went onto it. As my blood sugar levels went down I realised that my bad eyesight had got a lot better which often happens when you get your sugar under control. Eventually my sugar levels rose so much that I had to go onto insulin and the action taken at that time, was to keep me in hospital until my sugar levels had got below 10 and this took a week! My sugar levels are now well under control which I am glad about.

One thing I must say is to do with thrush. My twin sister had been having almost continuous thrush for three years and had tried lots of different creams but nothing worked. As thrush is one of the symptoms of diabetes I tested her blood and it was over 9 so she went to the doctor and he confirmed that she had diabetes too. Within TWO WEEKS the thrush that she had had for three years cleared up and she hasn't had it back since. Thrush was her only symptom.