Omg summer gone... Spiders!,,,

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw a spider in the bathroom earlier. No kidding, it was alsmost the size of my palm. I don't mind small spiders too much but big ones totally freak me out. I plucked up my courage to kill it - no mean feat! When I stood on it there was a very loud crunch. I felt so ridiculous standing in the bathroom screaming at the sound. I'm still not in the better of it. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gross!!
Are spiders increasing in size and magnitude as well as our supposed epidemic of humans increasingly getting obese?
To me their are more big fat hairy ones than 30 years ago....

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Since the weather turned a bit colder I've notice a lot more spiders in my house, different sizes. I have a couple of regular residents who must go elsewhere for the summer because I never see them then, but this year I've had a few strangers come to visit. I don't particularly like them, but I don't kill them. If they're in a place where they really bother me or won't move then I trap them in a glass and throw them out in the garden. I had one persistent little sod who regularly came back in night after night after being thrown out and I know it was the same spider because he was sat in exactly the same place as I found him the day before!

I've also had a few on my desk at work! One swung down from the ceiling and dangled right in front of my computer screen. I asked the boss if it was some sort of industrial nano-spy! The other one I found yesterday crawling along the case notes on my desk. There do seem to be a lot of them about this year.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like killing insects and leave the smaller omes alone. My motto for the gigantic variety is that if they wanted to live they should have stayed outside.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I can't stand big spiders. The yellow pages or Argos catalogue used to come in very handy to throw across the room at one. I came to be a pretty good aim, couldn't risk them getting away!!! :lol:

I went out and bought a fly swat for the purpose of spider killing, nice safe distance from me to spider! But then I discovered a spray, I spray it around the window frame anytime I open them this time of year and I think it does work. Ive had a lot less in the house since I started using it last summer. It apparently is a repellant and they wont cross it. I can't remember what the one I use is called but it smells minty and I think I bought it off Amazon. Its good value as I still have half a bottle left. You just spray it round every couple of weeks.

I used to have pretty much mini heart attacks when I would see one, I would sit there of an evening and any little movement out of the corner of my eye would scare me. Any bit of cats hair (ones tabby and ones black, so black fur!!!) would have to be inspected with the light on to check it wasn't a spider!

Living alone can be so awkward when your petrified of spiders!! I remember once before when I lived with me dad, he worked shifts and on this particular night would be home about 10.30pm, I was in my room watching TV when I spotted a HUGE spider on my curtains, I had to sit there for a couple of hours, with one eye on the spider making sure it didn't move. Then no sooner had my Dad walked in the door I was shouting for him to come upstairs to kill it!!! :oops:

I love my spider repellant spray!!!

Netty70

donnellysdogs said:
Gross!!
Are spiders increasing in size and magnitude as well as our supposed epidemic of humans increasingly getting obese?
To me their are more big fat hairy ones than 30 years ago....

Is that spiders or humans lol

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont generally kill spiders as they eat garden pests and they seem to prefer my garage to the house anyway (are they trying to tell me something, perhaps I need to redecorate?).

However, one of my friends was bitten by a false widow spider earlier this year and ended up in hospital for a couple of days as a result, so I'm tending to look a little bit closer than I would normally do these days as quite a few people round here have found them.

i blame the french :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Had to look at false widow spider image on google....just read out biting story to hubby and he said he got bit afew weeks ago by one....!! Going to get out Argos catalogue ready to throw.. Keep a glass handy too, now I know cyclonic hoovers are escapable.

LittleWolf

I don't care about rats, mice, snails, bats, slugs, eels, snakes, toads *ANYTHING* except for spiders.

So many people say they are scared of spiders when really they just find them gross (particularly other girls) The fear is a learned reaction, disgust or a simple dislike of anything scuttling.

I have a REAL true phobia of spiders which can be crippling at times. No matter what the size, the simple fact it IS a spider sends my heart rate through the sky, I break into a cold sweat and an overwhelming sense of fear, dread and PANIC consumes me. I won't sleep in a room I've seen a spider in and have literally stooped on a footstool all night in the middle of my bedroom because m y dad wouldn't let me sleep downstairs and yelled at me for being scared. I've nearly caused accidents when a spider has dangled in a car, I've spilled hot drinks on myself... I can't walk near bushes or put my hand in the grass or sit on it without checking for spiders, I love climbing trees but I've let go and fallen having caught a glimpse of web and/or spiders so don't do that so much anymore...

Honestly I love animals and bugs, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, I'm not ignorant of how wonderful a marvel of nature spiders are. I respect them, I think they're actually quite cool, but nothing runs deeper in me that this paralysing, raw, primal TERROR that engulfs me if a spider is near, I don't know if they give off some chemical signal that phobics react to or what but I've never seen anyone with a fear to the degree of mine.

Ive seen people on 'phobia clinics' who go through exposure therapy etc and they seem cured so easily. Absolutely not. I can't be feet away from a spider let alone have it crawl on my hand and 'bang' I'm cured. I will bite, struggle, scream and claw at whoever happens to be in the way if a spider get anywhere freaking near my hand.

I am seriously worried I'm going to hurt myself and others because of this phobia and HATE living in an old house with loose floorboard and skirting boards. I literally check for spiders for 20 seconds on entering a room, especially enclosed spaces like the toilet where I have been trapped with a spider before (resulting in me grazing myself scrambling onto the toilet in a very small room

Geez I know you all don't like spiders either but my stress levels are sky high at the moment which might explain my record high BG (24.8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I used to have imported Chinese basketware in a shop I managed and my warehouse manager found me standing on top of another palletised delivery of different goods literally screaming and crying.

I had opened up abox of wicker oblong boxes and this huge spider had literally scared the pants off me!! Needless today, 30 years ago I was probably the cause of this big hi see spide
R fi ding an englishmate which has probably caused Dorset residents an increase I their sizes of spiders. The spider did out run me.

I only kept re-ordering the baskets are because the rep was such an absolute hunk!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear, this thread has had me laughing til I had tears rolling down my face! I thought I was the only one more scared of spiders than of diabetes. I am petrified of them. I shake, scream, whimper and run like Hell! I actually want to kill anyone who says 'they can't hurt you'! They do hurt me. They send my BG through the flippin roof! I'm actually scared to go in any room I've ever seen them in and the garage is just a no-go zone! My partner keeps trying to send me on a spider appreciation course but I'm way too scared for that LOL. The only two things I can recommend are cats - they kill them pretty efficiently and Dyson - you can suck them into it without getting anywhere near them - and you can see they're dead! I can't get near enough to stamp on them! I'm even scared of the dead ones!

Smidge

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Went to visit some friends over the weekend... they live in an old listed property out in the sticks and the toilet is downstairs near the front door. FULL OF SPIDERS. I couldn't take my eyes away from the 3 that were lurking behind the toilet, one of them right near the flush handle, ARGH! I bet they could hear me whimpering from upstairs :lol:

Tried to convince friends to go on a spider patrol before I went to the loo but none of them fancied it so I decided to brave it... Almost had a meltdown when I thought there was a spider on my back when it was just a piece of loose thread on my top. Think I need some help, hahah

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Ooooh you just reminded my of my toilet spider in the last house I lived in. I'd just moved out of a house that had a washing machine spider. It lived under the washing machine, coming out at regular intervals, it just used to stand near the machine for a while then saunter back underneath to wherever it lived. The next house I lived in had a toilet spider. Same thing ... the spider never budged more than 5 inches away from a certain part of the skirting board where it used to scuttle back to. It would sit there when I was having a wee and I'd tell it to close its eyes! I was always conscious I was being watched by these tiny little creatures and that they could move faster than I so I developed a sort of coping strategy which involved me keeping the spider listening while I did all the talking and I used to tell them "OK, you can live there, I won't kill you, but you so much as move past this line here and you're done for! And I swear they understand us because these two never crossed the line. :D

Oh and by the way my mother lived with a spider who she used to call 'Horace'. I was massaging her feet one day when the damned thing ran down her leg and landed on my chest! It came from absolutely nowhere. I have never moved so fast in all my life. My mother had had a hip replacement a few months before but I couldn't help throwing her legs in the air while I jumped up screaming and beating my chest like a gorilla. My mother didn't know what had got into me, and just sat there staring at me in disbelief. If she'd know the spider had run down her leg before it landed on me I doubt I'd have been allowed to leave the house to come home! :D

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
That sounds like an interesting way to cope with spiders. Might have to give that a try next time I visit those friends haha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've heard from somewhere (can't remember where :think: ) that

1) your meant to release the spider 25ft or 25mtrs (can't remember which one :think: ) from your house to stop it from coming back in.
2) the common house spider is the most poison's spider in the world!! The only reason it doesn't kill is it's teeth can't break our skin!

How true these are i don't know but I'm forced to take any captured spider to the end of the road before its released.

I must obey the wife :lolno:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Well just to make all the spider phobes feel a wee bit better, I have workmen in today fitting a new walk in shower for me. They needed to get into my loft so I warned the bloke that I've recently heard something scuttling around up there at night. It actually scratches right above where my smoke alarm is fitting and causes the lights to flash at times.

He's just had a look and said "Well if the droppings are anything to go by it's definitely bigger than a mouse!" So I've just had to run out and buy rat poison for him to put in my loft!!! :crazy: I honestly don't mind the odd spider or field mouse, but I draw the line at rats.

This has come about because our bin men have decided that because our bungalows are set back from the road, that they don't want to come and collect the wheelie bins and take them to the lorry, they want us to tip our black bin bags straight onto our front gardens and they collect them that way. Since we've been doing that we've had an increase of rat sightings in the area. :evil:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Enjoy Flanders & Swann "Spider in the Bath" at 7:40.

I have fought a Grizzly Bear,
Tracked a Cobra to its lair,
Killed a Crocodile who dared to cross my path,
But the thing I really dread
When I've just got out of bed
Is to find that there's a Spider in the bath.

I've no fear of Wasps or Bees,
Mosquitoes only tease,
I rather like a Cricket on the hearth,
But my blood runs cold to meet
In pyjamas and bare feet,
With a great big hairy spider in the bath.

I have faced a charging Bull in Barcelona,
I have dragged a mountain Lioness from her cubs,
I've restored a mad Gorilla to it's owner,
But I don't dare face that tub ...

What a frightful looking beast -
Half an inch across at least -
It would frighten even Superman or Garth!
There's contempt it can't disguise,
In the little beady eyes,
Of the Spider sitting glowering in the bath.

It ignores my every lunge
With the backbrush and the sponge;
I have bombed it with 'A present from Penarth'.
It just rolls into a ball,
Doesn't seem to mind at all,
And simply goes on squatting in the bath.

For hours we have been locked in endless struggle,
I have lured it to the deep end by the drain.
At last I think I've washed it down the plughole,
Here it comes a-crawling up the chain!

Now it's time for me to shave,
Though my nerves will not behave,
And there's bound to be a fearful aftermath.
So before I cut my throat,
I shall leave this final note;
Driven to it - by the Spider in the bath!