More amputation?

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall! I had my left big toe amputated in May, because I had ignored my diabetes for years, and had incredibly high sugar levels, which resulted in an infection which escalated rapidly. I was then started on insulin, and brought down my bgs to a much better level, and started to get neuropathy, which resulted in a lot of pain and no sleep. Slowly, with the help of my DSN and the docs at my local surgery, we have managed to find meds to bring it more or less under control, and with the Butrans 5 patches, I am able to sleep, yay! However, I found a black spot at the end of the toe next to the amputated one, and went straight to the docs, to be told that it looked worrying, and he would try to get me into the cardiovascular clinic. Apparently they are too busy to see me, and although on antibiotics, the toe has got noticeably worse over the last two days, and the doc has still not been able to get an appointment for me, despite being now very concerned. I am so worried that by the time they have an appointment available, it will be too late to save the toe, and there are two more that my Doc is "keeping an eye on". Am I going to end up with multiple amputations, or will they decide to just chop off my legs to solve the problem? I know that sounds like I'm a drama queen, but I'm so scared this time, because I can see what is happening, and I have been so good about doing everything the way I should since May, but it feels as though I have been poisoned. Has anyone else had similar experiences, or can give advice? I am feeling very dejected, and wondering why I bother. :shock: :cry: HELP!

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
If being a drama queen is what it take to get the help you need the put on a tutu, tiara & fairy wings if you havebto some time makeing a seen or drama gets you heard insted of ignored . But with having black spots ii would have to recoment a&e they will have someone there that can help and I dont think they can send you homenif there is a chance of esculation to amputation. Good luck mate and please let me know how you get on

dubzn1

This has incredibly frightened me
I was bad with my diabetes and lost all my eye sight and regained 90% back but this has woken me up !!! I haven't lost any limbs yet
As mentioned above , go to a and e
Don't leave it till it's too late like I did

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
A&e isn't really the best way forward you should ask for details of who you have been referred to and ring them to get a cancellation.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Sorry but I have to dissagree . If the spots are the start of necrosis he need sorting and a&e may be pusshy enough to get him the proper help . I watceh my cousin go from being a fit and healthy 24 year old (non diabetic) to being put into an enduced coma for 2 months and loosing both leggs due to blood piosoning from streptococcus septicaemia . From starting to feel unwell to to being induced was 2 days . It was the necrosis that caused most of the damage as it prepetuates the blood poisoning. It can hurt to go to a&e and try as appossed to trying to get it sorted by people who have already seemed to have given him the bums rush

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
A&E ! Waiting for a standard consultant appointment with possible necrosis already setting in is not a good idea.

Hope you get on ok and all will be well.

Best

Paul

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
If you haven't already been, I'd agree tha A&E is the best choice. If the doctors are mucking you about and it's gotten noticeably worse in a short period of time, you need to get help urgently. They'll be able to help clean up any infection and sort you out fairly quickly with any medication you'll need.

Don't leave it too late... please!

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Firstly thanks for all your suggestions, and good wishes, and sorry I haven't been able to post a reply before. My doc managed to get me into the vascular clinic at the hospital, so I went with some fear, as the toe had definitely got worse. When I arrived, I was clerked in by a med student, who did everything from history to blood pressure, ECG, etc, and then disappeared, muttering that the ECG wasn't working properly. She came back and did another, and disappeared, then returned and took blood, placed a canular, and got me to a bed. This was early afternoon. I was convinced they would be amputating as they had placed the canular. A few hours later, 5 docs of various stages from med student to consultant and registrar came to my room, and announce that they couldn't operate, as I had a heart attack!!!! WHEN? ME? Surely they had the wrong patient? :shock: No, it was me, and I had never even noticed! Next stop angiogram, followed immediately by angioplasty, so I am now the proud owner of a stent, and the med student who had done the ECG (for practice, it turns out) had spotted the irregularity on the tracing, and brought it to the consultants notice, is now the Star of the Week. Still not sure what they can do about the toe, but it is being flooded with antibiotics through an IV and has got no worse, and doesn't appear to be septic. Because I am now on blood thinners, they will be unable to operate for at least 6 months, but they seem confident that they can control it, so fingers crossed. Apparently diabetics can suffer silent Myocardial infarctions (heart attacks) so beware! Sorry this post os long, but it's been a hell of a week, but a very lucky one, in hindsight :thumbup:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm glad you are ok. Hopefully things will improve from here

Keep us all up to date

Cara

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hoping matters improve for you blotham, must have been quite a shock to be told you'd had a heart attack :shock:

H

Hooked

You've had an eventful time of it to say the least!
Thank goodness the student picked up on the symptoms. Take care of yourself and fingers crossed the antibiotics help your foot.

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks all, age doesn't come alone, does it? And to whompa73, this 58yr old woman is loving being called a Dude! I've been called some things in my life, but this is a first, and my daughters says I am now officially "Dench" whatever that is!!! lmao :lol: