Insulin sensitivity?

Elc1112

If you're overweight you may find that your insulin resistance increases. For me, I find that it I maintain a steady and healthy weight then my insulin requirements are pretty predictable :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Insulin sensitivity?

If you are overweight then you will have some insulin resistance as well as a failing pancreas. If you are overweight then ensure you have the right diabetic diet which normally implies keeping the carbs and portion sizes down. Exercise of course does help but diet is the number one priority.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Elc1112 said:
If you're overweight you may find that your insulin resistance increases. For me, I find that it I maintain a steady and healthy weight then my insulin requirements are pretty predictable :)

Totally agree, losing weight increases insulin sensitivity and I know my insulin requirements reduced when I lost weight.

Mezzy954

I currently weigh 56kg and I'm 19 years old. I think thats decent :) I do weight training and lengthy cardio sessions 4 times a week which does help. Should i lower my fat intake and still reduce my carbs? I take about 120 of carbs a day and 50g of fat, which are all forms of good fats such as nuts, flaxseeds, avocados etc.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can I ask what your current insulin regime is? I'd suggest that you're not going to be able to increase your sensitivity much further. You are exercising a lot and sound slim. If you want to reduce your insulin dose, which is what an increased insulin sensitivity would do, then you'd need to cut back on carbs.

Mezzy954

I take novorapid and lantus. I usually take 4 units in the morning and 3 for lunch and evening. My insulin and carb ratio on a workout day would be 1 unit for 20 carbs otherwise 1:15 on a day that i haven't exercised.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Mezzy954 said:
I take novorapid and lantus. I usually take 4 units in the morning and 3 for lunch and evening. My insulin and carb ratio on a workout day would be 1 unit for 20 carbs otherwise 1:15 on a day that i haven't exercised.

Everything your doing sounds fine and dandy Mezzy :thumbup:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I agree. I don't think you're going to increase your sensitivity much beyond that to be honest; 1:20 is very insulin sensitive in my book, and 1:15 is over average too.