sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi
im just eating food which i think is low carbs , salad , chicken eggs ect , but i havent really got a clue to how many carbs are in food , i dont understand the carb counting , or the back of food labels, protein fats ect, i have an idea , i have read to loose a lot of weight and keep your bs low is to have 30g carbs a day , but i dont know how many carbs im eating ? apologise if this sounds silly but diagnosed two weeks ago t2 and overweight , i used to eat a lot of rubbish food , from rubbish to salads, chicken ect i have managed to loos 10lbs, but i want to venture out a bit with food i cant live on chicken salads , fruit, :shock: and no bread or porridge,

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: how do i find out how many carbs are in food

I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com - You build a daily diary of your food and it shows you how many carbs, calories etc you are consuming.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I have recommended some books to you before on your other threads. I put links in to amazon
They both have introductions that explain the principles of low carbohydrate eating that you are struggling with

Carbs and Cals - this has lots of pictures of food and meals

and Curb the Carb. - this is about weight loss

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thanks carraway
i finally joined fitnesspal :D gives me a good guide for the day ,,, its pretty cool the only thing i struggle with is breakfast , i dont have time to cook . and realy the only thing to have for me, is cereal and toast but i know these are high in carbs

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people

sandysan said:
thanks carraway
i finally joined fitnesspal :D gives me a good guide for the day ,,, its pretty cool the only thing i struggle with is breakfast , i dont have time to cook . and realy the only thing to have for me, is cereal and toast but i know these are high in carbs

Hi sandysan, I'm fairly new as well, try boiled egg in the morning, cook them the night before and leave them in the fridge, it's quick and no carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. 30gm/day is very ambitious, but if you can do that it should help your weight. Anything under, say, 100gm/day is a good start. Most food labels are very good; just look for total carbohydrates and work out what your portion size is going contain. My nurse gave me a leaflet to use but as the posters have shown there are many lists on the web and in books. A slice of bread, for example, might be 12gm (which is why your 30gm is quite ambitious!). A portion of potatoes might be 20/30gm, a piece of fruit 20gm and so on. A large helping of rice in an Indian chilled/frozen food packet might be 80gm!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Call me old fashioned but I still use my Calorie Carb & Fat Bible :) Most food manufacturers do detail the nutritional values on their packaging, once over this wasn't the case and made life all the more harder!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I find it's on the packet on everything now.

My bacon sandwich just

Burgen bread, 2 slices 250 calories, 25g carb

2 rashers bacon, 300 calories 16g fat (but as I'm calorie, not carb watching, I cut off the fat, about 5g, so it's 260 calories.

5 cherry tomatoes, dry fried, 20 calories, 4g carb

so total 570 calories, (530 without fat) and 29g carbs.

I'm ok with the sandwich, as it's brunch, my bs was 5.5 before, and I'm working until tea, so I'll have my other 670 calories for the day then. And to be honest, probably still less than 60g of carbs in my day normally.

When I started I kept to foods I tested on myself, to find ones that didn't give me a spike, then read the packets, and made a list of things that worked together.

I haven't gone into counting to the last gram, but I worked out what an average portion has in it, and worked from there.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Quick test bs now reading 8, so I'm happy enough at the moment, and that's after just sitting here drinking my coffee.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so is 50g of carbs too much in a day or can i work around that figure?
sorry but this just isnt sinking in , i think i will have to go to a dietician so she can explain , more about it face to face , but thanks guys you been a real help ,

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Depends on you.

My bs is now 7.8, so I seem to have coped ok with the amount of carbs I just had.
But as I want to lose weight as well, I need to make sure I don't put in more energy than I take out of my body today.
It doesn't matter to me that much whether it's carbs or fats, so long as my bs is ok.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Lunch, pinched the kids pizza, probably a third of a chicken pizza.

so 250cal, 25 g carb, 10g fat.

dinner, one of my pre made frozen meals, which I estimate in the ball park of 300cal, 15g carb, zero fat.

So running total for the day

breakfast 530 cal, 29g carbs, 15g fat
lunch 250 cal, 25g carbs, 10g fat.
dinner 300 cal, 15g carbs, zero fat.

so for the day so far

1080 cal
69 g carbs
25g fat

So, a standard measure of scotch has 60 cal, and I've got at least two with my name on now.
Zero fat, and normally no effect on bs, but definitely on weight.

(And then I've also been working, so I have used about 200 cal in exercise, so maybe a few more :D )

bs 5.3 5 minutes after eating dinner just.

(I've sent you a pm earlier, have you had chance to read it?)