Labour Snacks

Knitter

Hello

I have gestational diabetes and am currently on insulin.This is quite a trivial matter however I am currently packing my hospital bag and trying to think of suitable snacks to prepack in my hospital bag. So far I have come up with oatcakes, any other suggestions?

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a selection as I didn't know what my blood sugars would do in labour and if I would need to try to increase or decrease my levels. I included bananas, flapjacks (no added sugar), nuts, pepperami, lucozade and water.

But when it came to it I didn't actually eat anything during labour!

Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They don't usually let you eat in labour if on insulin, have they talked to you about your birth plan yet? As usually it means sliding scale of insulin and just water to drink

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I took protein bars for my last pregnancy. once they'd given me the diamorphine though, all food was out as I was constantly vomiting. They did let me eat up to the point where my waters broke, so during the induction, but after that I don't think they would have (Not that I wanted any anyway)

Knitter

Thank you for your suggestions :D

My last, diabetes free, labour went on for 12 hours and I remember just being so hungry during and after that I want to make sure I have things to hand. So far all I have been told about my birth is that it will be induced by 38 weeks at the latest and earlier if growth scans show anything concerning. I gather with induction it can take a long time to get going and I want to be well prepared.

I am hoping that I will be given support during my labour to monitor my blood sugar.

Recently I spent a couple of days in hospital with abdominal pains and the only things they had to eat between meals were packs of sweet biscuits so I want to have a bag packed ready to go for any eventuality with snacks, drinks and things to do in case I am taken in again.

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your suggestions :D

My last, diabetes free, labour went on for 12 hours and I remember just being so hungry during and after that I want to make sure I have things to hand. So far all I have been told about my birth is that it will be induced by 38 weeks at the latest and earlier if growth scans show anything concerning. I gather with induction it can take a long time to get going and I want to be well prepared.

I am hoping that I will be given support during my labour to monitor my blood sugar.

Recently I spent a couple of days in hospital with abdominal pains and the only things they had to eat between meals were packs of sweet biscuits so I want to have a bag packed ready to go for any eventuality with snacks, drinks and things to do in case I am taken in again.

Hey knitter the docs mentioned they Will induce you by 38 weeks? Why? I am a type 1 diabetic 21 weeks pregnant and have also heard the same thing. But I don't want to be induced and have natural birth. Please let me know what reasons the docs gave you. Thanks a bunch.

chloe1

Hi ladies

I was induced at 38 weeks for both my girls. It's standard practice for people with diabetes. However if you can avoid the syntocin ( I think that's what it's called) it's used to make your contractions stronger, then IMHO do. I had it with my first, and ended up with epidural which took all my control of the Labour away. The second I asked for a sweep and have waters broken, which was enough to start Labour. It was a much better experience than the first, I had complete control, and it was so quick there was not much point in putting me on a drip.
They say there is a greater risk of stillbirth which is their reason for inducing.
One thing I would warn you about is the hypos when breastfeeding. My babies literally sucked the sugar out of me, and I struggled for months with one hypo after another, while taking very little insulin. So stock up on lots of carb snacks and bananas! I got through boxes of those nutrigrain bars.
Lastly good luck, and try to enjoy the experience, it's a very special time!

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies

I was induced at 38 weeks for both my girls. It's standard practice for people with diabetes. However if you can avoid the syntocin ( I think that's what it's called) it's used to make your contractions stronger, then IMHO do. I had it with my first, and ended up with epidural which took all my control of the Labour away. The second I asked for a sweep and have waters broken, which was enough to start Labour. It was a much better experience than the first, I had complete control, and it was so quick there was not much point in putting me on a drip.
They say there is a greater risk of stillbirth which is their reason for inducing.
One thing I would warn you about is the hypos when breastfeeding. My babies literally sucked the sugar out of me, and I struggled for months with one hypo after another, while taking very little insulin. So stock up on lots of carb snacks and bananas! I got through boxes of those nutrigrain bars.
Lastly good luck, and try to enjoy the experience, it's a very special time!

Hey thanks for replying! That's a great bit of info so r u on the pump did u manage Ur sugars while in labour 2 nd time all by yourself ?

chloe1

No I'm hoping to get a pump soon, as after having my last baby I can't get things under control again.
So I had to have a drip with insulin and glucose through both labours. It's a pain in the bum as the midwives don't seem very confident with this process so I had to wait around for someone who knew what they were doing. And my labour was only an hour 2nd time, so it probably took longer to get the **** thing set up than to actually give birth!
I would say if you are on a pump maybe push to stay on it and control things yourself. However all labours are different and you never know if you will have complications, or how long it will last. So think about that, you might not want to have to think about your blood glucose. Maybe if you trust your birth partner to take over looking after your levels if you need to use your brain for other things!

chloe1

And getting back to the snacks subject. Take a whole bag of goodies for AFTER the birth, hospital food is YUCK! And they like to keep diabetic mothers in for a few days till they know baby is fine.