AM I, OR AM I NOT SUFFERING WITH DIABETES?

grannieannie

HI, my name is Anne, aged 68. I've had a blood sugar problem since my mid teens. Worst time of day has always been late afternoon when I feel weak, disorientated and bad tempered. No inclination to do anything except to get food AND FAST! This has been coupled with chronic IBS symptoms. In latter years I have discovered that codeine in some form (Co-codamol) resolves the IBS symptoms but if anything it may have aggravated the glucose problem. I also take Trandate for HBP and that I believe also affects blood glucose. I have psoriatic arthritis. Over the past couple of years as well as having the late afternoon sessions I have been waking in the night with ravenous hunger pangs which I find difficult to satisfy whilst trying to eat sensibly. One high reading during the night was 13.3. My GP has given me a monitor and I have already handed over a sheet with the readings but it doesn't seem to alert the GPs to a problem. However, the problem continues and my life is ruled by the constant worry of suffering an attack. As a result I am confined to my home locality and my life seems to have changed beyong all recognition.
With all the eating I have put on weight (I used to be 8 stone until my mid twenties). I am 5'2" and over 11 stone so I need to take off weight. I eat sensibly, very few processed foods, plenty of fruit and veg and low fat meat but more of everything than I need. I am currently trying desperately to take off weight, using a step machine, playing table tennis, walking (I have had two knee replacements which curtails my activities).
Has anyone had a similar experience and what can you recommend please? :idea: :idea: :idea:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hasn't the GP offered you an HBa1c?

grannieannie

Thank you Dawn. I immediately looked up HBAiC on the Internet and watched a video. Very informative. I will be making an appointment with my GP to ask for the test. I am very grateful for your advice. It certainly sounds hopeful and, no, it was not even mentioned on my visit to the GP.
(Getting 4.30 hunger pangs so have to go and raid the larder!.)

lilackirsty

While you're at the GP asking for an HbA1c I would also ask for a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) as well. Although I was always being told that I DIDN'T have diabetes I had all the symptoms and it was only after a GTT that the GP finally agreed. :cry:

Good luck in getting an answer :thumbup:

grannieannie

Is it Kirsty? Thanks Kirstly. I have had a glucose tolerance test some years ago and I think the results probably influenced my GP. I was surprised at the time that the results showed nothing untoward but soldiered on thinking I must be a wimp. My opinion of myself, healthwise, is that I am not a wimp ~ I have had many painful conditions which I think I have dealt with stoically but I find it hard to deal with this nagging hunger, especially when the general impression given to other people is that I am overweight and have no willpower. My husband could happily go all day without eating! I watch his face every time I go to the kitchen for yet another snack! I plan to make an appointment with the GP on Monday to discuss this new test I knew nothing about.

Fraddycat

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose, but your symptoms sound similar to mine. I remember ravenous hunger, afternoon coma like feelings etc.

First thing I would say to you, is that you are not going to have an attack of anything. Even if you do have diabetes, and I am not saying you have, type 2 does not give you attacks. I feel sad that you feel so panicked and constrained because your doctor is not helping you. He or she should give you more information so that you can learn to live to the fullest.

Can I make a suggestion? And this has really changed my life when I did it ... reduce the amount of complex carbohydrates that you eat. Cut back on bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, I guess that they are what are making you feel sleepy in the afternoon. If you have a sandwich or jacket potato for lunch, your body cannot process these carbs and you have something called a carb coma. Now of course I am making some assumptions, I have no idea what you are eating for your lunch, I just recognize the feelings you are having.

I know that its a bit overwhelming, have a read of this viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870 and ask any questions you might have.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Oh god yes! I remember the carb comas all too well when I was on the spuds,pasta,rice,pastry,bread and high sugar fruits! i could literally fall asleep standing up and always craving sweet food ! A nightmare ! Drastically cutting these food groups down or eliminating them was the best thing I ever did. :wink: