Cartridges

sarah1282

Ive been using novarapid cartridges but the last 2 cartridges ive had to change as they get to about half way used as the insulin just doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I've only been on it 6 months but its all fine! First suggestion would be the pen probably, could not be administering the correct dose

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange. I've only been Novorapid for 6 months but had no problems. I assume you are not going beyond the 4 weeks out of the fridge and storing at less than 8 deg C in the fridge before use? You should be able to note the movement of the cartridge plunger by looking at the scale markings; a bit rough but should give some idea if working or not.

faeoj

yeah iv had the exact same a couple of times now :/ it feels like it's jammed! I asked for a new pen and still happened! not sure what's going on with them! z

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
sarah1282 said:
Ive been using novarapid cartridges but the last 2 cartridges ive had to change as they get to about half way used as the insulin just doesn't work. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks

Hi Sarah I use NovoRapid too and I have had to change my cartridge a couple of times because it appeared to be not working properly. I certainly had a better reading with a new one in place. So ................ :? ?

RRB

Wullie

Hey Sarah

My experience is similar to Robin.

ISTR it happened because I took my pen into extreme warm/cold environments and back again e.g. coming back from holiday abroad.

If it's more than half-way through, write it off and plug in a new one. It's not like we're paying for it :)

LancsCarol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regular housework has to top the list, with nasty manipulative bullies coming a very close second - or maybe they are at the top....
Oh - and computers
Re: Cartridges - NovoRapid pens

I use a NovoRapid pen, pre-loaded with short-term insulin. Throughout the hot weather and when in hot climates abroad I have noticed that my after-meal bs climbs much higher as the pen gets emptier. It takes about 8 weeks to use up a pen, but the fade only happens in hot weather.
I wondered if it was because my body reacts differently in hot weather -- but changing the pen for a fresh one seems to get it more back on track for a very short time.
Maybe it's a combination of pen fade and body reaction. Difficult to experimentally separate the two concepts for testing definitively.
Same for the Solostar 24-hour insulin pens. They seem to be losing effectiveness as they empty, but only when the weather's hot or when abroad. I use about one a month, typically. During summer nearly all my bs readings have been much higher than during winter.
Will re-evaluate when the weather gets a bit cooler.
What effect winter central heating might have, I don't know.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lancscarol you shouldn't be using a cartridge for 8 weeks, once opened they should only be used for 1 month

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Insulin's sensitive to temperature and effectiveness can decline. Have you tried using a Frio pack when in a hot climate? Also, I had real difficulty with a novo pen and now make sure that it's delivering insulin by testing a unit without injecting - a drop should show.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LancsCarol - how can a Novorapid pre-loaded pen last you 8 weeks? That's only about 5 or 6 units a day!!! A pen should only be used for 4 weeks, so no pen should be used for 8 weeks. I use one NovoRapid pen every 2 - 2.5 days !! I use 2 Solostar pens per week.
I would advocate the use of pre-loaded pens against cartridges as it is so easy to use, see how much Insulin you are using and no faffing about screwing in a cartridge, then finding the pen doesn't work !