Low carb foods online

Mags52

I just wanted to say that having discovered low carb food stores online my life has been transformed. Dreamfields pasta, low carb wraps (3g per wrap) and the occasional low GI chocolate have cheered me up enormously. It's the little treats in life that make all the difference sometimes. I've also lost 3 lbs in two weeks by exchanging my very very small servings of carbs with these products. BG control is also much improved.
If you want to low carb but find it difficult to give up visible carbs completely this might be the answer.
I know this will have been said before but it's new to me and I'm very happy! :D
All the best
Margaret

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Which supplier have you used?

popps

This is something I haven't so far considered. I've just eliminated the sweet stuff and cut down on the starchy carbs. But pasta is one thing I miss. Is there some site on the WWW which can supply low carb pasta? The only site I can find at first glance is Low carb Megastore. Is low carb pasta something to be recommended?

lilibet

Hi
Low Carb Megastore
Avidlite
Sugarfreesuperstore
Carb lite

Postage tends to be more expensive, as are things generally (in comparison).

Reactions: lorraine95

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
sugarless sue said:
Some members here have used Dreamfields pasta with good results.
Its not true low carb, & there are Internet reports indicating a long term rise in BS.

Stockists & info: Dreamfields

Mags52

I use low carb megastore http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/
Eating Dreamfields pasta has a beneficial effect on my BG levels. (5.9 after 2 hours) whereas a very small portion of ordinary pasta raises it (7.5 after 2 hours).
It tastes exactly the same as ordinary pasta. I still measure it out and eat a small portion (40g).
They also do some low carb wraps that are a good replacement for bread.
Delivery is very quick and reasonably priced.
It works for me anyway.
Best wishes
Margaret

caitycakes1

I use the wraps and the low carb bread with good results but I find the pasta delays a bit of a rise until the three hour mark. The Granola is lovely and causes me no probs. I drench it in double cream.

Caitycakes x

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
ahhhh ... you've made me hungry! I'm back on the wagon (ahem) after a jul-time binge-o-rama resulting in pretty high bgs (13.something not so lol) so going to think myself back into low-carbs-ville!

hope you're all doing well xxx xxx

The Governor

Unfortunately for me, I find the Dreamfields stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be as its low-carb credentials are based on the "effective" carbs as a rersult of fibre.

That said, I consider 5.9 to be a high reading for me, so when I am that 2 hours after a meal I'm not quite aa pleased as someone else might be.

I aim for something betweeb 4.2 and 4.6 as an acceptable low two hours after meals.

In general I don't have pasta very often. These days whenever I'm hainvg osmething heavier - carb-wise I also have a couple fo glasses of wine (which rmeinds me I must do some proper research on the acceptable alcohol limits!).

Trinkwasser

The Governor said:
Unfortunately for me, I find the Dreamfields stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be as its low-carb credentials are based on the "effective" carbs as a rersult of fibre.

the Big Picture on Dreamfields, taken from the States where it has been available for a long time:-

It must NOT be overcooked, or reheated

Many people find a low but prolonged BG rise (as do I) which makes it good fuel for a busy day

Some people process it into glucose in exactly the same way as normal pasta

For others it produces deceptively low numbers with an unexpected spike after a few hours

So you pays your money and you takes your choice (probably has to do with digestive enzymes and genetics)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
well after getting hungry reading this thread last month I put in an order for some stuff from one of the low carb stores ...

results thus far:

the "low carb sugar free" sweeties sent me really high - so no go there for me!
the "low carb" tortilla not only had negligable impact on bg it postively tasted FAB
the "low carb" granola (chocolate flavour) actually left me with lower bg and tasted so naughty!
the "low carb" baked bread smells and looks good and will be trialled later :)
have yet to try the dreamfields stuff, might make a lasagne on Sunday?

Best, Jem xox

Jo123

Hi Jem,
I am fairly new to this forum having recently been diagnosed with high fasting BG, but with a family history of both types of diabetes I am taking it very seriously! Have gone the low-carb route.
Please could you tell me what granola you tried, I used to eat loads of muesli/porridge and would love to try this.
Thanks Jo

Jem

Dislikes
Hiya hun, well done on finding a forum like this for support, you'll find loads of helpful and nice people AND lots of recipes and useful info :)

The granola I tried (which to me is similar to the sugary "crunch" cereals I used to eat) is:

LIZI'S GRANOLA CRUNCH in Belgian Chocolate

a 50 gramme bag looked pretty small in the bowl but being as it had been suggested on another site that you should only eat half a bag *GASP* I tried the 50 gramme bag with some greek yoghurt and thick cream and it was utterly delicious!

It's made by the GOOD CARB COMPANY and I bought mine online the Low Carb Megastore ... it's usually quite expensive so it was a treat for me, considering I haven't had any kind of breakfast cereal in over 4 months!!!

The pack contains 234 calories, 21.2 CHO (carbohydrate grammes) which is double the carbs I would normally consume in one sitting, however as the granola contains good seeds and oats as well as ground nuts I thought it was worth a shot) and it says on the packet that the effect of eating the packet would be the same as eating 5.5 grammes of glucose carbs, so I thought one packet was worth an experiment ... very worthwhile for me cos it was lovely and my 2 hour pp bg (after eating) was lower than my bg before!

Enjoy :)

xxx

oh and welcome :)

Jem

Dislikes
Just did my blood test on 2 hours after eating 3 slices of the baked bread

it was

*ta-da*

YAY ... it's expensive but really tasty ... I had 3 slices of cheese on toast. if you've not seen the loaf of bread in question it's pretty small ... and costs £2.50 plus (expensive)) postage BUT it tastes like normal bread and smelled great and had very little impact on my BG so I think once a month I shall treat myself to a loaf of that!

YUM!

being as my trials in home made low carb bread went really very badly wrong ;)

Jxxx

Jo123

Thanks for the welcome :D I am completely hooked on this forum, I have learnt loads and am feeling so much better, I am trying to get my mum on low-carb but it is hard going!
I am going to order some of that muesli, it sounds scrummy.
cheers Joxx

Jo123

Jem said:
Just did my blood test on 2 hours after eating 3 slices of the baked bread

it was

*ta-da*

YAY ... it's expensive but really tasty ... I had 3 slices of cheese on toast. if you've not seen the loaf of bread in question it's pretty small ... and costs £2.50 plus (expensive)) postage BUT it tastes like normal bread and smelled great and had very little impact on my BG so I think once a month I shall treat myself to a loaf of that!

YUM!

being as my trials in home made low carb bread went really very badly wrong ;)

Jxxx

Congratulations on that result, god I would love a nice peanut butter butty!

Jem

Dislikes
d'you know what ?

It's been SOOOO long since I had bread I was stood there scratching my brains trying to think what to have ... I love cheese on toast so that was a good place to start /// tomorrow I will have an almond butter sarnie :)

glad you're finding the forum useful ... it's helpe me SO much these last 4 months; I surely would be a lot less healthy without it!

as to getting other people to go low carb ... it's tricky .. I maintain that understanding low carb is like finding god - you only REALLY get it once you've seen the light for yourself ...

All the best babe J/x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jem.

I have also found LIZI's in a large tescos.

wiflib