Home OGTT: Glucose and Vitamin C Powder

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Since my GP doesn't think I need to undergo an OGTT after two GD pregnancies (and despite the recommendation of the diabetes team at the hospital that I be monitored this way), I will be conducting one at home. I know that it won't be as accurate as one done at the doctor's, but I'm trying to stay on top of any deterioration in my blood sugars. For the record, I am not currently diabetic or pre-, but my fasting sugars are routinely 5.5 and that's a little high for my liking.

Anyhoo, I know that I need 75g of glucose dissolved in some water. Boots sells boxes of the stuff, but premixed with vitamin C. Would it be okay to use this, or would the vitamin c interfere in any way with the absorption of the glucose?

Many thanks

Jo

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I've seen it done with lucozade.

Could you let us know your results please?
I ask because I was similar to you and I did develop type 2, however I was over weight so if I'd looked after myself better I may have avoided it..................

Cara

elaine77

I had GD too and my OGTT results were absolutely fine, it wasn't until I had the c-peptide and antibody results that it became apparent that something wasn't right.... Good idea to keep monitoring though as GD is not automatically linked to just type 2 diabetes as I am type 1/1.5 and have been told the pregnancy could have been a trigger for the autoimmune response...

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cant use anything with vitimin c in it as it is one of the few vitimins that interfeer wiht a blood glucose monitor and you will not get a reliable reading. I wpuld however imagin somthing would be available from somewhere like holland and barrat

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ask your local pharmacist, he should be able to obtain it for you(or suggest a source) :thumbup: