Ouch!

Knitter

Hello

I have been blood testing and injecting insulin for the last few weeks and most of the time it is tolerable however some days the blood testing and the injections are really painful. Just wondering if this was any way hormone linked or if it was just the way it is?

Today my morning injection was tear inducingly painful and I know I did not inject in a vein as I am so careful, however my leg has been sore all day and I am a bit anxious about my remaining injections today. I going to discuss injecting into my stomach with my DN tomorrow however I am worried that will be just as painful as the skin if so taught due to my pregnancy.

Sorry for the moan, just tired and sore :(

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't think this would be hormone related. Do you inject on the outer thigh as the inner thigh is meant to be a no no due to all the extra blood vessels there.

Sent from my GT-S5360

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try your bum... My legs bled alot, my stomach painful. Nigh on 30 years in left bum and it is still like a babies bum... No lumps..

Knitter

I use my outer thigh and after hitting a blood vessel in the early days I am super careful. I was a bit nervous about injecting in my bum as it is awkward to reach and I was worried about hitting a blood vessel, since I won't be able to see.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using a new needle for every injection and a new lancet for every test?

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before I was put on an insulin pump, I used my arms. My thighs and tummy got very lumpy after 20 years of injections, there's only so many site rotations possible! I also agree with ensuring a new needle and lancet every time, when you see pictures of use cones under a microscope it really explains why they hurt!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

faeoj

I was like this when I was first diagnosed and couldn't bear it so my mum and dad got me to hold a nice cube where I wanted to inject and it numbs it! it also mentally gives you time to prepare it....I still do it now sometimes haha

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I find my legs painful to inject and so mainly inject in my stomach. I think it depends where you have the most muscle (As that will hurt more). I also find that if I am warm it hurts more - i.e if I have been cooking my stomach gets warm being close to the oven/ hob so I need to give it time to cool down. When I wake up I need to give my skin time to cool down as I will have got hot under the covers at night.

Knitter

Thank you all for your advice, I have been trying some of your suggestions and things have got better. I have to increase the number of injections soo so I am going to have to be brave and try other injection sites.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What size needle are you using ? 4mm is adequate and shouldn't really be painful. I find the buttocks the least painful but try to rotate the area so as not to build up any scar tissue.
Mo

Knitter

I am on the 4mm needles and often feel nothing when I inject however or occasion it is painful enough to bring tears. Recently my number of injections and volume of insulin has greatly increased so I have been trying to vary my injection sites. Now using thighs and stomach although I still get extreme pain occasionally regardless of where I inject. Just trying to build up to injecting in my bum, not sure about injecting where I can't see though :lol:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The buttocks are easy lol ! Just make sure you keep rotating the area ! Hope things get easier for you ! I still wince when I inject but it's just habit, doesn't hurt.