How often do you test, which meter do you use?

devoncatt

I am diet controlled type 2 and after reading many posts on testing and meters . I am more confused.

I see some meters are cheaper to buy strips for and some quite a bit dearer. ( 50 strips anywhere from £6.99 to £24.99
Lancette costs varies as well).

It begins to sound like Inkjet printers and ink where the cost of the ink is more than the printer

What meter do you use and how many times weekly or daily do you test? - be honest please
Any differences in accuracy between the cheapest and more expensive meters?
Are USB meters worth their extra cost?
I don'r see a Which magazine rating of Blood Glucose Meters.

My GP now says routine checks every 6 months but no suggestions of a meter to help inbetween.

Devoncatt
HBa1c 2/13 10 on routine checkup
HBa1c 3/13 8.5 attempted to reduce sugar in my diet
HBa1c 6/13 4.3 with strict low GI diet

sparkyrich

I bought a SD code free meter cos I'm T2 and can't get strips on prescription .
I'm happy with it - it reads slightly higher than the accuchek Mumsie gave me when she got her new one but it's not a million miles away. More to the point, it's consistently 0.3 higher and since I'm only interested in how my blood spikes following meals, it's fine and does the job.
It's also got probably the cheapest replacement strips at around six quid for fifty.
I used to test first thing every day and then before/2 hours after every meal.these days it tends to be first thing and before/2 hours after my main evening meal ( I'm following an adapted Newcastle diet and my readings have been pretty constant with the shakes so it seems a waste of strips to test after them).
Hope that helps, Sparky

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a glucorx given to me by my practice. They are quite happy to provide me with strips but only for that model. Maybe they have done a deal with the producer/importer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JimArmstrong

I test 5-6 times per day, so it becomes very expensive. The metors are free, but the stips are $1.00 each. A bit of a rip off I would say. I bought a metor and strips off ebay. Works out to .17 cents each. Much cheaper. Dont know how accurate the metor is. It reads in a different scale than here in Canada. A good reading would be around 100 on the metor I use. (divide by 18 and it gives me a reading what I am more used to.)

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Hi
I am T2 and I test every morning and 2 hours after every meal, I have a USB meter, I know the test strips are not as cheap, but I do not have to buy batteries, and from what I have seen this can work out to be expensive, also it comes with its own software so again it is not an extra expense to link it to the computer. I hope this is of some use :)

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing 6 times a day until there is a steady improvement in the BG levels. (type 2, recently diagnosed)

I am having my first Hba1c test in 2 days time, cross fingers that it is coming down.

I bought the Codefree meter as the strips are the cheapest available.

Checking on the NHS charts, they are the same price on Amazon as for the NHS, £6.99 for 50.
I buy 100 for £16.45 which for now works out £1.00 per day.

I will reduce it to only 2 or 3 tests after meals in the near future, when I worked out which foods to avoid.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Type 2, on 1 Metformin tablet, 3 injections of Novorapid Insulin (approx. 120 units per day) and Lantus Solostar Insulin (84 units at night). I test approximately 3 times a day (but sometimes only once or twice a day) and at the moment use an Accu-Chek Aviva Nano meter, free from Accu-Chek, with free test strips on prescription from my GP. Accu-Chek frequently upgrade my meter, and are very helpful if it goes wrong and supplying batteries, record books etc. I do not think a GP will prescribe test strips if you aren't on Insulin, and most health professionals seem to think you don't need to test regularly then anyway. However, if you want your own meter try asking various companies if they will give you a free one, ask for prices for everything you need (test strips, lancets etc), then choose the cheapest !

smudger1

Hi I test between 6 to 8 times a day having had type 1 for over 50 years. My meter is Aviva Acu check and works very well for me. My surgery supplies me with all the strips that I need as their philosophy and mine is that a well controlled type 1 costs the NHS less if he tests regularly. My HBAI was 51 last time so I am pleased with that. :)

wizardinblack

I test around 8/9 times a day depending on the situation, some a lot more if i have had lows.feel ill etc. I use an accu-check mobile meter and also have an accu-check aviva. I don't pay for my test strips or my meter at all, i'm shocked to see some of you have to and you're in the UK?

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wizardinblack - if you look at my post (just a few before yours), I think you'll find the reason some people here have to pay fro test strips etc. Also I believe it depends where you live - some counties seem less inclined to provide supplies. I use an Accu-chek nano, but am about to be upgraded, by Accu-chek, to an Accu-chek Mobile for which my GP will prescribe the test cassette. Since needing Diabetes supplies, I have always got all my Diabetic and other prescriptions free, even before I reached the age of 60, when all prescriptions are free. However, some GPs may still not prescribe all diabetes supplies, for the above reasons.