How can I get my motivation back?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I may have posted about this before, but I just am struggling so much with my motivation for my diabetes control at the moment.
The hospital hasn't asked for a HBA1c test in nearly a year and I don't know what my blood glucose levels are right now, I never ever test, possibly less than once a day which is awful and I wish I could make myself do it, but I am finding it so hard to test.

I have never had any problems before, I've been diabetic since I was 10 and I am now 19.. I've completed the DAFNE course and since then, because of the freedom possibly, I have started to go downhill really

Sorry, can anyone help? :/

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to be harsh but other people can't make u test. Its down to you. Nearly Everyone goes through this at some stage for short periods. Get a glucose diary and aim for filling in a full day, morning reading, before meals reading, 2 hours after food readings. See how you go from there, post results on here. Anything, but something. Either that or as u probably know lots of complications can happen.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Agree with Brett. Ultimately, you are the only person who can make a difference. Doesn't the risk of amputation or going blind persuade you to take control ? Good advice from Brett though, make a fresh start, test, record and try to exercise. Good luck !
Mo

Mrspuddle

Jelaca I've been there and the one thing I would say is that once your sugars are sorted you will feel so much better and realise how rubbish you probably feel at the mo! I believe you can do it, make a fresh start and take one day at a time xx

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mrspuddle said:
Jelaca I've been there and the one thing I would say is that once your sugars are sorted you will feel so much better and realise how rubbish you probably feel at the mo! I believe you can do it, make a fresh start and take one day at a time xx

Thank you so much for this.. It feels like you knew exactly what I am going through, as you probably do, but thank you...

I'll keep you updated, i'll start tomorrow right :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Needless to say motivation comes from within, try and focus on the future and what this could hold for you, for example having children and living long enough to see them have children and not worrying about any complications from uncontrolled diabetes.

Chase up the hospital and ask for that diabetes check-up, whilst your there ask for help in dealing with the issues that you have around testing your bg, without testing you will never get a handle on your diabetes as it's impossible to give yourself the right amount of insulin.

Good luck!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also very patchy about testing and keeping records until I got an app for my phone. Now I feel quite keen to get all the data in and see the graphs - and my control has become much better as a result :D

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit better thank you :D I tested in the morning, before lunch and before bed, so a lot better, thank you for caring x

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Jelaca said:
Mrspuddle said:

Mart

Thank you so much for this.. It feels like you knew exactly what I am going through, as you probably do, but thank you...

I'll keep you updated, i'll start tomorrow right :)

START NOW! The sooner you're well balanced and healthy, the better you'll feel about yourself. I've been through this before and I find this to be true. If you don't know how your levels sit, how can you dose accurately? Accurate dosings are vital. If your sugars are too high or too low you will feel negative and rubbish. Look at what can happens with poor glucose control, amputation, gangrene, diabetic foot, organ failure, retinopathy. Negative? You bet it is! So don't let this creep up on you and let diabetes control you! Control your diabetes and feel happier. You are a young person with almost your whole adult life in front of you. Live your life wirhout diabetes dictating your mood and health.

I wish you all the very best of luck and hope you can overcome these morose feelings and am sure you will banish these feelings with better control.

Stay well and be healthy. X

Marty

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to let you all know that since my latest appointment something has changed and I am so much better at keeping track of everything! I'm back to my old self and have been even filling in my diary for a couple of weeks :) thank you all for all the help you've given me x