Losing insulin in a bleed?

lynbrown

I am type 2 and inject 4 times a day. Occasionally, when I inject, a bead of blood pops out. Will the insulin have been lost in the blood?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would be a tiny amount (if any) of insulin lost and not worth worrying about, you will be able to tell by your postprandial bg readings anyways.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
This happens to most of us on occasion. The insulin is injected into body tissue directly and the blood is a reaction to the surface puncture. I wouldn't worry unduly over this as the insulin is absorbed by the tissue and eventually carried into the bloodstream. Unless it is more than a bead, I wouldn't be concerned. Many has been the time I've blotted a shirt with a dot of blood post-injection. I can, however, see your point, but I am sure that it is fine and normal. As a post-script, try varying the angle from 90 to 45 degrees, it's less painful and is less likely to make you bleed, I find. Pinch gently the injection site until the needle has broken the skin, then release. Also, if you don't already do so, as it was not stated, always use a fresh needle tip. Thay way the platelets, however few, will not cause infection or offer resistance to insertion, pre-inject. A sterile needle every time and the 45 degree angle lessens the risk of bleeding and/or bruising afterwards, as there is no infection risk.
Give it a go, if you don't already do this.

Best of luck and hope some of this is useful. Let me know if it does in a day or two if you want to.

Mart :)