Insulin pump and sleeping

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello,

Im due to go on the pump in a couple of weeks but I am worried about sleeping with the pump on, like ripping it out and stuff? Anyone help? :)

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure how well i can answer this as I've only had my pump for just over a month, not but I've had no issue with it when sleeping, sometimes the pump has moved and felt a bit awkward, but no issue with the cannula side of things.

andywright

I've been on mine for about two months and the sleeping thing was my biggest worry with it,Turned out no problen I just have it on the mattress near where its plugged into me. Don't do what I did though. Yawn with it in my hand when I got out off bed. That hurt :oops: Good luck

D

Deleted member 83869

Ah okay then doesnt sound too bad! Im just worrying because im a bit of a fidgeter haha! Shall just have to see what happens!

Thank you :) :thumbup:

iHs

Hi

I just put my pump (the Combo) in a mobile phone type of sock (those ones that are about £2 each and have a lanyard on them to hang around the neck) and go to bed like that. That way, if I get up in the night to spend a penny, the pump comes with me and I don't have to worry about picking it up and carrying it. A uk company called ipSOX does some nice socks. I also use the rubber skin that came with the pump and attach a long piece of chord through the end of it and make a lanyard and that works really well.

Lots of diabetics do leave the pump laying beside them in bed but usually have it on a longish piece of tube (about 80cm) and just remember to pick it up. Another alternative is to put pump in a baby sock and attach the sock to pj's or nightie with a nappy pin if nightwear hasn't got any pockets.

Taking the pump to bed isn't really much of a problem as long as an adequate length of infusion set tube is attached to the pump.

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi

Okay thank you :) I will have to look into that then and stop worrying so much haha :)

fatface1987

I am going on the pump in a few weeks also. The only fear I have is that it won't work!! The pump itself and the canula, which is secured with an extremely sticky dressing, won't dislodge any way easily at all. I have heard people who have caught the insulin goving set tubing on things and they have been pulled back rather than the needle being dislodged because the dressing secures the canula very well. I roll in bed too but it won't do the pump any harm. Good luck with it-I am glad I have won my 6 year fight for one!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

D

Deleted member 83869

Yes I have that fear too that it would all be a waste of time and that it wont work at all! And oh I see I should be okay then! And 6 year fight! How comes it took so long for them to agree? I asked for mine in June and was pretty much accepted a month after but I have had DKA about 3 times and my hba1c has never been what it should be.

:)

fatface1987

NicolaAnne1994 said:
Yes I have that fear too that it would all be a waste of time and that it wont work at all! And oh I see I should be okay then! And 6 year fight! How comes it took so long for them to agree? I asked for mine in June and was pretty much accepted a month after but I have had DKA about 3 times and my hba1c has never been what it should be.

:)

Hi nicolaanne
It was always the same excuse......funding. Never given any other reason. This is my 3rd hospital in Northern Ireland and I was not taking no for an answer and they seen that. I have absolutely no pattern to my blood sugars at all and never have had. I have batteled this condition for dar too long and have had no quality of life for years. This is why I have a fear of the pump not working and wont get excoted about being granted funding for one until it works (medic scepticism!) as I was told DAFNE would do wonders for me but it has caused me to hit rock bottom and not be able to crawl up again. Really pleased you are on a pump/getting one and really hope it is working/works for you

D

Deleted member 83869

Ah I see that sucks! Atleast you are getting one now though! :)

I suppose DAFNE kinda worked for me but I never really stuck to it as much :/

Good luck to you though and I am sure things will start to get better!:)

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I wear, would you believe a pump holder that should be used round your thigh but it fits round my waist and the pump stays in place all night without a problem. When I first went on the pump I did wear the pump round my neck but that didn't work too well as I was waking up nearly half strangled. Hope this helps

Spatta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fake people
Hey!
I've been on the pump for a few years now, at first it was difficult to find the right place as i too was worried about where to put it... Now i just lie it on the mattress on whichever side i have it attached and if i do turn over in the night i just follow my wire and bring it round with me.
Its easy when you get used to it =]

Good luck!

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic make a belt with a pouch and a velcro fastening specially to wear at night. Have used one of these for the past six years without a single bad incident.

Tom

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a baby mitten, which is fortunately just the right size. I pin the mitten to my pj bottoms with a safety pin and put the pump in the mitten - this works very well for me. Might not work if you don't wear pjs though ;-)

Samc2212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use the medtronic pump its my years anniversary tomorrow, I don't attach my pump to anything at night and I fidget a lot lol and I have never pulled it out yet. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me and will never go back to MDI. Good luck with it hope you enjoy with no problems

beccamcgroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Ive been on the pump for 6 years and have never ripped the pump out during sleep. Ive got the line caught on door handles, dropped it while being attached and other random stupid things lol if this happens you get a pull on the sticky pad and i would recommend checking everything works ok but so far ive had no issues :) good luck and dont stress !!