Anyone in Norwich?

SewK8

Hello
I have my pump assessment in September and have just had a letter through inviting me to a Pump information group in October.

I was wondering if anyone else here was in Norwich and would be going too?

Kat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in Norwich but already have my pump so won't be there, hope you get all the info you need. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

SewK8

Hello

Thank you for your reply.
I am both nervous and excited about getting the pump. How long from the pump assessment to starting the pump was it for you? I am really hoping I am up and running before Christmas.
Did you go along to the pump information group? What happens at those meetings? I am quite a timid person so really hope I don't have to speak in front if a lot of people!
Sorry for so many questions!

Kat

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to a meeting, mainly people giving information and answering questions. Can't remember exactly how long between the meeting and starting the pump, been on the pump for about 2 and half years now and wouldn't want to give it back! I don't like speaking out either so know how you feel. Speak to your diabetic nurse after you've been to the meeting if you're still keen and ask her to ensure you are put forward. Hope all goes well

SewK8

Hello
Thank you for asking. I went for the pump assessment and have been approved. just waiting now for a start date. they said to expect it to be early 2014 so ages yet.
I have been having very bad hypos and am having to run a lot higher than I like. my hba1c has gone up but the doc says not to worry at the moment. I cant help it as I hate this feeling of not being in control but my husband has found me collapsed too many times now and I am frightened to be alone. Even sleeping is restless as one of my very bad lows was when I was asleep.
I go to a group session in October where I meet others waiting to start I think.

How are you? how was your control before starting the pump?

Kat

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My control was very irrational with swings between high and low. I work shifts which made it hard to see any pattern. Luckily I haven't had a hypo that needed anyone else's help for quite a time but I would run high to avoid it happening. The pump is hard work and it does seem at times that I've cracked it only to find the next week I need to do more fasting tests to get back in control. The team at Norwich are good and are very encouraging. Hope it all goes well when you meet up in October

SewK8

Just a quick update. I spoke to the DSN today and I am due to start in November! Should have a call in the next couple of days with all the dates but I am so glad to start this year!

Kat