which is worse for our body

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
which is worse internally; to have to much- glucose running amok or to much insulin running amok... is one worse than the other?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They can both be equally serious. Too much glucose long-term can mean damage to many body organs. Too much insulin injected can result in a hypo which if serious and not treated can result in coma and death; you choose. The answer, of course, is to manage your sugars and insulin to stay in the right area.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To hyper or hypo that is the question. As I understand it extremes of either can kill you. I should point out that I am not a medic so don't panic in case I don't know what I am talking about.

Less than extreme can make you very ill and pass out or possibly put you into a coma.

Sustained excess of glucose can damage your nerves permanently. You can recover from a hypo if still alive.

Provided we are talking about a transitory occurrence I think I would prefer a high glucose reading.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
My philosophy is better too low than too high. For the simple reason that a hypo lasts for minutes, presuming good hypo awareness, whereas highs can last indefinitely if someone isn't checking their sugars or a good few hours if they aren't.

Also highs lead to complications but hypos don't.

It is very rare that someone is killed or suffers permanent damage from a hypo. There are plenty of people who face early death and disability because of running too high too long.

I'd go for the low over the high every time!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Did you mean too much insulin causing a hypo, or too much insulin in a body with insulin resistance, so there is lots of insulin around but it is not doing it's job properly, ie not causing hypos but still an excessive amount in the blood. That's not good either.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It hasnt been proven yet what-if any damage is caused to our brais from hypo's.

I've had 2 consultants tell me that hypos ARE thought to have a detrimental effect on our brains...

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
the_anticarb said:
Did you mean too much insulin causing a hypo, or too much insulin in a body with insulin resistance, so there is lots of insulin around but it is not doing it's job properly, ie not causing hypos but still an excessive amount in the blood. That's not good either.
yes yes that is exactly what i meant--too much insulin in the body from insulin resistance & then told to inject more insulin to get glucose readings down --so is it better to not add extra insulin by needle, when one is not taking up the insulin that we produce in our bodies in the first place---or is it better..now iv'e forgotten my train of thought...why do they tell us to take more insulin if we are already resisting it, someone said more is needed to overcome resistance, how can this be? does two wrongs make a right... at least if my glucose is too high i can run around to help bring it down--but if i am building too much insulin up, isn't that worse? why is this so bloody confusing and why are there different opinions on this issue, very frustrating indeed...p.s. not so much worried about hypos--i wish no, just any damage from too much insulin..

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are both dangerous. Severe Hypos can cause death or brain damages especially in long term diabetics. Constant High bg cause the severe health issues we are all aware of. I still feel that severe effect of hypos are still not discussed as those of constant high blood sugar.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think OP is talking about hypo's. I believe the concern is your own body being unable to use its' own insulin, so why take more ? I think it's a good question. Insulin is a growth hormone so can't be good flooding your body with it if unable to use it ? If I could reduce my levels just by exercise, I would.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Well if someone is insulin resistant and there is not the option to do oodles of exercise every day, it is better to inject more insulin than run high in my opinion. Neither is great but running high leads to complications and I'd rather have insulin resistance than complications any day.

I do worry about insulin resistance, a healthy diet and exercise can only go so far to reduce this.

My consultant says that hypos in themselves cause insulin resistance. Not quite sure why but apparently they do.

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i am thinking i may have confused my original question by throwing in the glucose issue, what i really was after was --if we are insulin resistant, is their logic in injecting even more insulin into our bodies, perhaps this is a bit of a dyslectic issue for me but it doesn't make sense to me, wouldn't i just be the same ole insulin resistant cept now i would be injecting even more of something in me that i'm not sure if it's so good or not for us and weight gain as well, or am i assuming incorrectly, i'm type 2 and confused a wee bit, any opinions are appreciated...

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I think realy the question needing asking is what are the detrimental effects of insulin on the body . And if someone is insulin resistant can damage be caused by excess insulin in the blood streem and if so what damage can be caused ( not including hopos and associated problems) I think she is also trying to understand why when there is a glut of insulin in the body of spmeone insulin resistant when they are running high does the introductin of injected insulin have the capability to bring sugars down? Firstly I know not the harmfull efects of insulin (appart from weight gain) but will google them. Secondly although insulin resistance means that we do respond to insulin but it takes far more to do the job and usualy by the time we have very high bgs or need injected insulin our pancreases have basicaly started to burn out and cant produce either enough or poor quality insulin so extra is needed to cope. Howeve injectin and bringing down bgs means the body produces less insulin and can bring down overall insulin levels and may also give the pancreas a rest enpugh to help repair and produce better quality insulin again although a low carb diet and exercise will be needed as may basol insulin or even bolus but at a reduced rate. I can ensure you that running hihg for a long time not only makes youmfeel very ill but also does the kind of damage that you dont want happening eg kidney, liver , hart damage, remember one is a cure for the other if properly administered . They would not do it unless it was the lesser of the two evils

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whompa73 said:
I think realy the question needing asking is what are the detrimental effects of insulin on the body . And if someone is insulin resistant can damage be caused by excess insulin in the blood streem and if so what damage can be caused ( not including hopos and associated problems) I think she is also trying to understand why when there is a glut of insulin in the body of spmeone insulin resistant when they are running high does the introductin of injected insulin have the capability to bring sugars down? Firstly I know not the harmfull efects of insulin (appart from weight gain) but will google them. Secondly although insulin resistance means that we do respond to insulin but it takes far more to do the job and usualy by the time we have very high bgs or need injected insulin our pancreases have basicaly started to burn out and cant produce either enough or poor quality insulin so extra is needed to cope. Howeve injectin and bringing down bgs means the body produces less insulin and can bring down overall insulin levels and may also give the pancreas a rest enpugh to help repair and produce better quality insulin again although a low carb diet and exercise will be needed as may basol insulin or even bolus but at a reduced rate. I can ensure you that running hihg for a long time not only makes youmfeel very ill but also does the kind of damage that you dont want happening eg kidney, liver , hart damage, remember one is a cure for the other if properly administered . They would not do it unless it was the lesser of the two evils
....what came first the chicken or the egg? if excess weight esp belly fat helps to make us insulin resistant, and yet , if insulin is known to make us gain weight. then logically, to me at least-shouldn't less insulin help to lose weight/belly fat etc. and make us less insulin resistant thereby needing less insulin in the long run, note i'm not talking about getting glucose down at this point-just the insulin/weight/resistance issue, which in the long run should get glucose levels down, perhaps i am gazing at my navel to much /to much acid years ago, but it makes sense or does it not.?

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ofcourse lower insulin is more compatable to weight loss. And yes less weight usually equalls less insulin resistance. Ergo higher weight = higher resistance and harder to loose weight. But even though it is harder its not impossable to loose weight on insulin but I would guess it would be extremely unpleasent . However by the point you go on to insulin I would expect that every other avenue to lower bgs had been looked at and either dissmissed or simply did not work and insulin was the only practical choice. The simple face is high bgs will not only cause damage prety quickly but is a more imediate danger to life than being fat . One can be worked on over time the othe has to be sorted asap

collectingrocks

My understanding is that too much insulin at once can cause hypos because when there is an intake of glucose, the pancreas floods the bloodstream with insulin to clear the glucose quickly upon which there might be too little glucose and the body goes into hypo. Have I got this right?

Also, my understanding is that if the body relies on insulin from another source (i.e. injection), it will cease producing its own - hence the ever-increasing reliance on injections.

I'm happy to be corrected

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
From my understanding of what I have read ( and being dyslexic I can get the wrong gist some times) in dr bernstien books the use of insulin can help the Pancras to recover if it has brrn over producing and heading towards burning out or indeed if there are only a few beta cells (I think thats what they are called) left working in a type 1 . Some beleive itnis essential to preserve these cells as it may be the future of of medically cureing diabetes by cloning and reintroducing back into the pancreas it also helps for betfer fine controll even while using insulin . By not using enough insulin and making the Pancras work hard it can burn out these cells so non are left. Or atlest that was how I understood it so please enlighten rarther than bash me for any errors lol

Sula

I have often pondered this and come to my own conclusion that it is insulin that causes the damage in T2's. T2's have enough insulin but cannot use it, so why give them more insulin? does this cause all the awful things like nerve damage, heart problems, kidney failure and blindness? On a macabre not, murderers have used insulin to kill people (Beverley Allitt, the nurse) as it is difficult to detect. Perhaps too much glucose in the blood may shorten your life, who knows? on the subject of diabetes we have only the drug companies for information and they have a vested interest in keeping diabetics diabetic. I am eating a normal diet at the moment, my sugars go as high as 11, I have no symptoms, so in the past before bloods were tested I would not even know if I was diabetic. Then you only presented to the doctor if you had excessive thirst and urination, I have neither. Perhaps diabetics are far too hard on themselves and could ease up and just see how it goes?