Chana Hummus

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Tried it, didn't do anything for me, best way is to test after you eat it. Pulses raise my BG, hence stopped being veggie.

pickledpepper2

I made some, I could eat it in small doses, but I find lentils in general seems to raise my bs and keep them there for a good while, so decided to lay off.

It was lovely though......hhhhmmmmmm

meoman

Chana is lentils whereas hummus is chick peas. Was the chana good taste?.. i suspect the normal chickpea better?.. thoughts

meoman

heres the recipe.. do you think they are the same chana ingredient?.. tesco sell it?.. lower gi than chick pea in reality?.. taste as good as normal chick pea hummus??

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
phoenix said:
I think what you're talking about it what the GI index calls it' Bengal gram dal' as does my (old) packet from Tescos. It's supposed to be an immature form of chickpea.
http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

I was led to believe that Chana Dal is a Pakistani pulse vegetable in its own right and is not a Chickpea it looks like a bit like split peas and can be bought from certain supermarkets, I believe I bought this packet from Tescos

chanadal.jpg

Chana Dal or Channa Dal is a name given to a dish served in most Indian restaurants but IS NOT made from Chana Dal but from chickpeas instead and this seems to be were the confusion occurs, at least in the UK. That said I often eat Chana Dal in Indian restaurants and at home and a spoonful or two doesnt seem to move my bg levels much either.

Pheonix may be correct about it being a young chickpea though as on my packet above it is called Channa Dal but in small writing underneath are several other names including "Pois Chiche Casse" which may be Bengali or Pakistani for chickpeas who knows! I only speak broken English :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Pois Chiche Casse" which may be Bengali or Pakistani for chickpeas who knows! I only speak broken English
It's French, literally means broken chickpea ie split chickpeas .
Wiki says that Chana dal is produced by removing the outer layer of kala chana (black chickpeas) and then splitting the kernel.
Other places on the web say that Bengal gram is also the name of small brownish black chickpea and chana dal is made by removing the outside skin and splitting it.

If you read the Mendosa article, he found that there are 2 groups of chickpeas, one larger and fatter originally from Afganistan, the other smaller and dark skinned which seems to be associated with India. They are the same species so may be interbred. I think that probably means that there may be several varieties called chana dal. Even packets from the same producer could easily come from different growers/varieties . Unfortunately this might mean varied GIs (like varieties of rice or potatoes ).