newly diagnosed but i dont know how to workout carbs in food

syb

hello
glad i found this site newly diagnosed havent got a clue how you workout carbs in food i been told wholemeal bread and grains are not good for you not sure if this is true . as i have to change my diet now i will struggle with working out food, im so used to eating wholemeal bread and cereals and porridge. i am a type 2 controling via food for 3 months till my next habc1.
any help please, would be great
thanks

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Re: newly diagnosed but i dont know how to workout carbs in

Prety new to this myself. But have rbrought my bgs down massivly. For the moment the way I am doing it is if its meat eat it as zero carbs . If it grows above ground and isnt fruit or beans or pulses pr grains. Then it can be eaten (but only if I like it lol) dairy is prety much fine aslong as it not prossed or low fat as fat twnda to be replaced with sugar . To be fair although I have brough my bgs dow and have quite tight controll as in varience range they are still slightly high but in the range most diabetics would be very happy with. Howerw I twnd to eat between 5 to 115 grams carbs a day and to be fair I am starting tp get fed up with all thia meat . I think its time to seel profecional help to broden my meal repatwar. That being said I had to bring my bgs down fast as they where very high and I was scared of maybe being put on insulin wether this would have been the case or not (It had been surgested by insulin dependant type 2 friends that given my bgs this was the most likely outcome) has no relivence to your fears and its amaizing what you can do when your scared whitless.i prety sure than I am now safe fromit now. And done in less than 2 months ( with a little help from mr metformin)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Wholegrains are good for most diabetics but the problem is that most bread described as wholemeal, isn't really wholemeal. Waitrose's wholemeal bread only contains 6% wholemeal flour. See, A wholegrain of truth? http://www.sustainweb.org/news/feb13_re ... ain_truth/

Generally, brown rice is better than white rice, wholewheat pasta better than normal pasta and so on. The more complex the carbohydrate, the more slowly it is released into the blood. If yu then eat smaller portion sizes, it can help lower your BG levels. If you combine it with some exercise, it again helps.

Carbohydrates that give you wind, beans for example, do so because they are not easily digested. In fact, most pulses are not digested by enzymes in the stomache but largely broken down by bacteria in the intestine. If you like wholegrains, try making stews with things like barley or using barley rather than rice. It's filling and shouldn't spike you. But, test every food. People are very different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

whompa73 said:
If it grows above ground and isnt fruit or beans or pulses pr grains. Then it can be eaten

Unless it is Bakewell Pudding of course. I got to eat some of that a few weeks before my diagnosis. Now, it's just a fond memory.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Hi Syb and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful. It contains information about carbs. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I found the book Carbs and Cals massively useful. It shows portions sizes, fat and fibre and well as carbs and calories.

Don't know what I would have done with out it.

syb

:clap: I have looked at the carbs and cal book its ok. I just wanted to know how you can work out the carbs yourself I geuss you cant??

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Of course you can.
Find out how many carbs per 100g (use a book or find online ; if online try to get a British not American source as they use a slightly different method to list carbs. If it's a manufactured food, simply read the label)
weigh the food and calculate
ie if the food has 30g carb per 100g and you want to eat 125 g
1.25 X 30 =
If you only have 40 grams then it would be
0.4 X 30 =

There is a carb counting list here from Diabetes UK with all sorts of food (the good, bad and ugly!) What it doesn't include is veg and I personally include veg in my carb counts, some people don't.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/c ... t_2012.pdf

You do get to be able to estimate by eye and most of us only use a limited amount of foods but I'm a T1 and have been using insulin for several years and I still weight starchy carbs when I'm at home.

syb

HI PHEONIX
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ,

WHAT IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY CAN IT BE WEIGHED AFTER COOKING ,, AT THE MOMENT IM THINKING IM DOING WELL IM PROBABLY NOT ,, I DONT WEIGH MY FOOD I JUST PUT IT ALL ON M Y PLATE MAYBE I HAVE TO MUCH ALSO , I HAVE HALF PLATE VEG AND LOTS OF CHIKEN EVENING MEALS , I THOUGHT THERE IS NO CARB IN CHIKEN SO EAT AS MUCH AS U LIKE SAME WITH VEG , ALTHO I DONT EAT A LOT OF FRUIT ,, YOU KNOW ITS ONLY BEEN 3 WEEKS ,, AND I FEEL AS THO ITS A LIFE TIME , FOR THE LAST 3 WEEKS ITS ALL BEEN AROUND FOOD AND DIABETIES , I THINK I AM GOING TO BECOME A FAIILIURE WITH FOOD , I KNOW I SEEM REALLY SILLY AND STUPID BUT I WILL STRUGGLE WITH A FAMILY AN COOKING AND WEIGHING FOOD OUT ,
OH I DUNNO , JUST GOT MESELF A BIT DOWN TODAY ,

ANYWAY THANKS PHEONIX

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No problem weighing after cooking; just make sure that for things like rice and pasta you use the right carb counts. Both take on lots of water (and weight) when cooking.
I have to be precise because of insulin dosing, you probably don't have to be so precise but weighing to start with will help you to judge appropriate portion sizes.
And no there are no carbs in chicken, and yes I also make half my plate veggies (+ I also have 1/4 starch and 1/4 meat/fish etc)
Don't get down, I had 10 days in hospital when I was first diagnosed and saw a dietitian every day. It takes time, your condition is different to mine but they both have a big learning curve.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

What was your bs readings at diagnosis?

Don't worry if you can't carb count yet, you aren't going to change overnight.

Switch to better carbs, look for low GI, (google is good for lists of low GI)
Reduce your portion size, then you can be sure you're taking in less carbs.

Lots of veg, but avoid any root veg, they're worse for carbs.

I avoid the classic bad diet foods, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, any sugars, like cakes, chocolate, all the usual classic diet foods.

Start with that, make a few good changes, then you'll have a good breathing space to get your head around what is the very best for you.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,

I am beginning to carb count, first I look at the ingredients and read the total carbohydrate then if it does not tell me individually I do a quick calculation , the top number will be amount of carbs per 100 divided by 100 then x by weight in grams =total amount of carbs in portion of food. Example ginger nut biscuit . Carbs per 100=79.7g divide by 100 x weight of 1 biscuit , this should give you 9.6 , this figure is the total amount of carb in the biscuit, practise on other food products , you can check if you are getting it right as some foods will give you the carbs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App