Anybody else had their prescription stopped randomly?

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After trying to get a prescription for two weeks unsuccessfully, I've been told that my prescription has been stopped as it was put on the "backscreen" untill I'd seen my Doctor for a medical review. (It's taken two weeks because I can only get to a chemist on Saturdays, first time they thought it was delayed second time the lovely lady in Boots chased it down for me)

I wasn't told I'd need a review nor have I ever attended one. It is the surgery policy to not tell patients that our prescriptions will be stopped. It was not an admin error, it was deliberate. I've received at least 3 prescriptions already from this surgery with no problems at all.

In this instance I'm lucky because I have enough supplies for awhile, I usually have a stockpile because these sorts of things happen to me frequently. Family bad luck I'm afraid.

Has anybody else ever come across anything like this? It seems bad practice in my opinion but I was wondering if there were any Doctors out there that could explain the merits of doing something like this? Because from where I'm sitting it looks like a dangerous policy.

Also, I now have to wait till 9am tomorrow to phone up and get an appointment to have this medical review to get my insulin. Anybody have advice for dealing with this sort of problem as I'm sure going in mad will do no good whatsoever.

Many thanks in advance for any help at all! I'm feeling very let down and desperately need some advice here or even a sympathetic ear. This does not help when you're coming out of a period of burnout.

BA

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes! I've had it happen several times over the years, not with diabetes meds but for asthma meds.

In my case I usually had either a phone call from the doctors surgery asking me to make an appointment or a message from them attached to repeat prescription form saying I had to have a review before the next one could be filled. This was frequently a problem because I was frequently out of the country of weeks on end, and may only have been back in the Uk for a weekend before flying out again. No amount of explaining the situation ever made any difference.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply! I can't believe they'll just stop meds randomly. I had no warning at all. when I asked the lady on reception why I hadn't been told about needing a review she said it is their policy not to tell us! We have to become our own detectives and figure it all out for ourselves. It's a marvellous system isn't it?

It's worrying that they wouldn't see sense with you flying in and out of the country all the time. I don't think I stand a chance of making them see sense here.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately I have enough meds to keep me going at the moment. It's just worrying that they can stop providing them and not tell you as a part of a policy! :evil:

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My prescription copy always has a note on the bottom to show when my next review is due (usually annually) so I always put it in my diary for 6 weeks prior to the date to give me time to get the blood tests done prior to the review.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Madbazoo I had no such warning unfortunately. From the way they were describing it on the phone it sounded like they had decided against doing something like this.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think for something so important as insulin they should be required to notify you, perhaps a call to your local health care trust might me in order

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often there is message on the bottom of my repeats that a review of medications is due but I've never been called in for one, I would extremely annoyed if they just stopped my prescription without writing or phoning me up, I'd suggest you speak with the practice manager in the morning and ask that your prescription be issued again BA .

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What happens to you is disgraceful as you didn't have any warning. I really hope you will write a formal complain to the surgery manager. Only this way things will improve. The problem is that usually no one complains. Shouldn't you have insulin with you they will be responsible for your risk of ketoacidosis and believe me that's the last thing they want. Really sorry for you. It must be so frustrating.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your treatment by the surgery is unacceptable and I would complain to the practice manager or change to another practice. My prescriptions always show the date of the next review; typically 6 months to a year ahead. I never use a chemist to handle my prescription requests. I order my needs each month online to the surgery and can see within a day whether it has been accepted or rejected. If it was me I would cut-out the chemist link and deal direct with the surgery if you can; gives you better control. I'm lucky as my surgery has it's own pharmacy but I use Lloyds over the road which is given my script by the surgery after a I request it.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to all for the replies! It is incredibly frustrating, I'm going to see the Doctor and hopefully get some answers at 4pm today, so fingers crossed for a speedy resolution!

Daibell if I could cut out the chemist link I really would. Unfortunately, with the hours I work there isn't a lot of time for running around trying to file prescriptions and what not. The Boots service has been a lifesaver up until now, and the blame doesn't really fall to them in my opinion.

Boots were the ones to chase up my Dr. and find out the cause of the problem, they weren't notified of any changes even though when I called my Dr. she said that they had told Boots. I think my Dr. is just telling a lot of fibs at the moment!

andywright I might have to use that line today to see what answers they can give to that :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I suggest you contact your area NHS clinical commissioning group. I did so not that long ago and my problem was sorted out quickly and to my satisfaction. If you want to know what the CCG does take a look into this link to my one:-
http://www.coastalwestsussexccg.nhs.uk/what-is-a-ccg

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
Every three months my GP surgery require me to have a prescription review and have done so for the past few years. It just involves a routine appointment with a GP who just goes through the list of stuff on my repeat card and seems a load of bother if you ask me as it is not always easy for people to get time out of work etc. I usually find that during the review they decide to stop the ketostix and I have to book another appointment to ask them to put the Ketostix back on the repeat as they are essential for emergencies and sickness etc!!