Pregnant type1 unaware i was pregnant help please

Sweetypie25

Hello there,

this is my first time on here and can see there is so much support available and would love some help.

I am 25 years old and have been diabetic since 19 years old, in all honesty I have not been the best diabetic but through the years have tried my best to improve.

I am 10 weeks pregnant but was unaware till the 7th week before this i had been on a clubbing holiday, had high sugars and a hbac1 of 10% since I have found out, My life has changed greatly I have tried my best to control sugar levels and am getting to the targets they require slowly but do have the odd peak in a day where it goes to 9-12.

I am wondering is there any one out there similar to me and how did they cope and was their baby okay?

I am trying my very best and feel this pregnancy has been a blessing in disguise for me to control my sugars as having diabetes is serious yet liveable.

At the moment I take nova rapid and levimer which is split morning and night.

I am currently suffering with hypos every night and waking with sugars round 7 which is slightly higher then should be, is there any advise anyone could give me.

I would really appreciate your comments

xxx

C burns

Hi and congratulations! I was pregnant with my 1st baby at 25 too and also type 1. I'd say ur on the rte track ;-)

I had the odd high bs with my 1st baby and she was delivered at 36 weeks by emergency c section and she was healthy n I was great. I found it really hard in both pregnancies to cope with cravings. The main thing is to be very strict as regular hi bs can cause the baby to grow really big really quick. The only thing with this is that their wee organs aren't developing fully in line with the rest of their body.

I wouldn't be stressing to much tho cos that's not good for u! It sounds lyk ur trying to be sensible and working hard to get gd control.

I used to kp a wee can of juice and a pkt of digestives on my bedside tae along with my testing equipment x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C burns

Ur higher readings in the morning will be due to the hypos ur having during night. U should maybe see about reducing ur levemir slightly?

As ur pregnancy progresses ur insulin requirements may increase. Mine did dramatically. I attended a diabetic antenatal clinic every 2 weeks and I found this really helped to kp me on track

Worried123

Hi I posted in the pregnancy forum about high hb1ac and pregnancy out ones check the post out quite a few women replied and thankfully it was reassuring to see that despite high hb1ac they had healthy pregnancies. Obviously diabetics are high risk pregnancies in any case and we are advised to control well to minimise risks although risks exist doesn't mean that we will def encounter a problem. Be positive make sure u keep tight control if ur blood glucose levels if u need advice don't hesitate at all to pester ur diabetes team or ur midwife. You should be checked regularly for ur blood glucose control at the hospital ... Congratulations on the pregnancy :)

khristina.b

Hi, I had my first at 24. Type 1. Ive since gone on to have 3 more all with good outcomes. I found my diabetic team were wonderful. Use them whenever you need to. Im sure your diabetic nurse will never mind a call between appointments if youre ever worried . Nightime hypos were the norm though throughout all pregnancies. A bottle of gaviscon and a bottle of lucozade came to become my nightime buddies lol. Good luck, sounds like all is going well xx

lexilox

Hi, Ive had T1 since I was 10, at 19 I discovered I was pregnant at nearly 16 weeks and my 'baby' turned out fine and just started secondary school! It's not ideal but just do your best now you know. Good luck :)

sugarangel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya im type 1 and have been since I was 13 I fell pregnant at 20 and had a perfectly healthy little girl ...I too wasnt the text book diabetic. ..I had a h1bc of 12mmol which I got down to 7.4 . I also had bad hypos that caused me to seizure. ..however 8 years on (im 29) im now planning for my 2nd x x

Sweetypie25

Thank u sooo much its nice to know there are others out there. I received my haba1c which at 9.6 but since then and 2 weeks prior i have kep good control.

I am now 13 weeks, i had my 12 week scan and all is well :) im really looking forward to being a mum, i feel this baby is a blessing as without it i would have carried on with not so great control.

I was wondering if anyone suffered from sickness round the 12-13 week time. It really throws my sugars off any tipsof how to maintain good numbers whilst suffering morning/eve sickness?

Thank u x