Two great things today :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello :wave:

First of today I bought a connector for my lawnmower because a few weeks ago I was cutting the grass very carefully and I cut through the cable, the first time, ever. So I bought the connector and fitted it my self. I was so chuffed when the lawnmower started, so I cut the grass in the back garden and tided up a few things.

I needed to stand on something to adjust some garden features hung on the shed, so I used an upturned green tray/box. I pushed the box towards the shed and masses of smelly leaves and masses of leaves and grass came out. I kept looking at the debris and called to my daughter to have a look and then she said, 'oh something moved, I think it's a Hedgehog'. so I pulled the leaves back and I couldn't believe what I saw............... 5 baby hedgehogs :D I went all gooey and we took some photo's of them, my daughter absolutely loves them, they are SO cute, but very small. I gave them some cat food and then covered them back up. About 8.30pm they were making a racket ( probably calling to mum) but haven't seen the mum yet. I will check on them tomorrow, but don't want to disturb them too much. What a wonderful surprise and I can't believe there are 5 little animal babies just feet away from where I'm sitting. I hope they survive :thumbup: they are adorable. A lovely end to the day.

Best wishes RRB :) :D :D

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Robinredbreast said:
I needed to stand on something to adjust some garden features hung on the shed, so I used an upturned green tray/box. I pushed the box towards the shed and masses of smelly leaves and masses of leaves and grass came out. I kept looking at the debris and called to my daughter to have a look and then she said, 'oh something moved, I think it's a Hedgehog'. so I pulled the leaves back and I couldn't believe what I saw............... 5 baby hedgehogs :D I went all gooey and we took some photo's of them, my daughter absolutely loves them, they are SO cute, but very small. I gave them some cat food and then covered them back up. About 8.30pm they were making a racket ( probably calling to mum) but haven't seen the mum yet. I will check on them tomorrow, but don't want to disturb them too much. What a wonderful surprise and I can't believe there are 5 little animal babies just feet away from where I'm sitting. I hope they survive :thumbup: they are adorable. A lovely end to the day.

Best wishes RRB :) :D :D
RRB,
looks like you could have a busy winter, if they're that small, they maybe won't be able to put on enough fat to be able to survive hibernation :cry:
In the past, I've kept some oggies going by persuding them to nest in a heated corner of the shed 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lovely to hear this tale .
Thanks for sharing it with us all .

Any sign of their mum yet?
If not - you may have to think about placing them in a sheltered place as Fergus has done
Try fattening them up best that you can do too .

Keep us all updated too on any progress .

I 'do' hope mum appears soon though for them :thumbup:

Anna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi I went out this morning to check under the box and all the babies have gone :( I not really surprised because mum must of come along and smelt the human smell on the babies and the box and must of moved them. Mum could of taken them into the shed as the shed has a gap at the bottom ( it's been there for a few years now and I didn't want to block it off in case any little animals shelter in there). All the cat food has gone, so I will put more food out tonight. My daughter took some great pictures on her IPOD,I have asked if I can upload the photos to the computer and she is making lots of excuses about why she can't :thumbdown: ?? so not sure what I can do there( she's nearly a teenager), but the babies were absolutely adorable and I hope they are all safe and sound snuggled up with mum.

We often get adult Hedgehogs in the garden, so I'm hoping all the babies will return next spring all grown up and eating up all the slugs :D

RRB :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The baby hedgehogs will be fine, if you put cat food out on a night you'll be guaranteed that they'll come back RRB!

It's strange as my wife and I were saying last year that we've not seen any hedgehogs in our garden, this year we've had loads and they keep the dog busy, every-time he here's one in the garden he's up at the window barking :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yeah,
Oggies are much cuter,and environmentally friendly than slug pellets :lol: :thumbup:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
noblehead said:
It's strange as my wife and I were saying last year that we've not seen any hedgehogs in our garden, this year we've had loads and they keep the dog busy, every-time he here's one in the garden he's up at the window barking :)
Watch out for the dogs, my gran had a border collie that used to hunt oggies , used to get his nose under them and flip them in the air to stun them!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
FergusCrawford said:
Watch out for the dogs, my gran had a border collie that used to hunt oggies , used to get his nose under them and flip them in the air to stun them!

Neighbors dog killed one earlier this year, I was wondering how he might have done it :eek:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
noblehead said:
FergusCrawford said:

Neighbors dog killed one earlier this year, I was wondering how he might have done it :eek:

Aawww the poor little things, I feel very protective towards my little hoglets :angel:

RRB

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
That's a lovely story to brighten one's day, RRB. :clap:

willie.

sparkyrich

My much better half used to breed the African Pygmy hedgehogs. They are the cutest tinkers imaginable - but the have a fearsome bite for their size lol!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380810798.321079.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380810798.321079.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 413

sparkyrich

Oh, and RRB, I hope you have an RCD (either on the socket circuit or a plug in one) cos chopping cables in the garden is an effective way to avoid diabetes related complications! Please stay safe around electricity!