Can Honeymoon be prolonged?

Misty1

My son was diagnosed 3 months ago, aged 15. He is controlling his levels brilliantly, carb counting, exercising and injecting. We've been told that he is producing around 30% of his own insulin, acting as a buffer, and I am desperate for advice on how to prolong the function of his own precious beta cells. I can't accept that it is 'inevitable' that his immune system will destroy these cells, it's 'just a matter of time'.
I've researched diet and drug trials extensively. Teplizumab had promising results, but he is too young to volunteer for the trials.
Can anyone offer advice, please?
Thanks you.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I was diagnosed in 2010 with type 1 and I'm still producing some of my own, I'm currently only on 5units of background insulin and 1unit per 20g of carbs of rapid acting. I've been quite low carb since diagnosis which may of helped, though I'm not too sure!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Misty1

Wow, so many views, I am humbled, but only one reply - I must be asking the 'million dollar question!' Thank you 'Hellbunny' for your thoughts. I can see what you say, as we have been trying to minimise the stress on Jack's pancreas with the hope that it will 'hang on in there' for as long as possible. I am just so frustrated that we can't hold on to his buffering effect and I can't accept 'inevitability'!
Thanks to all who read this

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my daughter was diagnosed 6 months ago she just turned 9.i feel exactly the same as you,I don't want to just accept things I'm going to do as much for diabetic charity's as I can to help plow money into research hoping one day they will be able to reverse it or at least halt it in its tracks.i think good control does help as less insulin is needed

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I have done much research on this and the only answer that you'll keep hearing is "nobody knows" !
The only thing you can do is try to maintain tight control of BG levels and reduce carb intake. There is evidence that early insulin treatment can give the pancreas a bit of a breather but to measure time frame would be impossible.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think its an individual thing Misty, since i commented i've now had to increase to 1u per 15g, and now on 7units of basal :oops: :? so i'm guessing my pancreas has packed in that little bit more :eek: in some ways though i'm thinking it might be easier, constantly adjusting every few days when it decided to kickstart again somewhat, for me it makes for more hypos and unpredictability x

elaine77

Hi Misty, I'm still producing quite a lot of my own insulin, or at least enough that I don't have to inject insulin yet on a low GI diet and Metformin. My consultant told me there is no evidence to suggest early introduction to insulin prolongs any beta cells and up to now nobody on the forum has been able to provide evidence otherwise either :-(

I still don't think I have fully accepted the inevitability of it but I do believe my consultant as he also said some beta cells can sometimes regenerate... He said this after my blood tests showed my c-peptide levels had increased from 339 to about 750 or so over a period of 6months..... I hadn't taken any insulin-inducing drugs or injected anything and so it wasn't medication that caused the increase it must have just been my pancreas.... The problem is that the doctors just don't know enuff about LADA/1.5 and so were all just as long as the next person :-(

Welcome to the forum

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - I felt exactly the same when I was diagnosed - I wanted to keep whatever production I had left going - so I enrolled for peptide research at Bristol hospital with the diabetes team. There I was told by a diabetic doctor that if I wanted to maintain the best health for my pancreas was to maintain excellent blood glucose control as this would stop my pancreas being stressed and would ensure a longer honeymoon period. It would however eventually give up and it has done so I believe. Also when the pancreas does stop producing insulin this to can be beneficial and it means that you have better control over the insulin you inject - so rather than having a pancreas squirting out bits of insulin on top of what you take, you only take what you need for each carb. Means less hypos.

The research I was involved in was fantastic for learning more about my condition, I was seen on a monthly basis so could track my HbA1c and establish if I was maintaining good control also to question the doctors over all matters type 1 - I don't know if I received the peptide treatment or a placebo or 50/50 but it was still worthwhile to help me come to terms with living with it - so if your son can enrol on research it would be benefical - I can send you more info.

Misty1

Juicyj thank you for your message. I can understand that he trial was a great opportunity to learn about T1, and ask all those questions that flood your mind on diagnosis! I'd be interested to hear more - I thought that drugs trials had a minimum age of 18?
Jack is doing brilliantly and keeping his levels low and steady so hopefully keeping his pancreas happy! Long may it last!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Misty I have contacted a nurse there and she has confirmed that unfortunately they cannot accept under 18 year olds into the trial. I thought it best to check first after your previous comment. Wishing your son well for the future and sorry this wasn't applicable for him :thumbup: