quick question

VW754

checked my bg 2 hours after eating,it was 7.0 mmol.........i had potatoe wedges and chicken nuggets.........then i rechecked sugar before my next meal ....13.1mmol.............whats happened here.........7.0mmol.......then ate after 5 hours and just before i eat 13.1

MattyK

Are you on a pump or multiple injections?
How much insulin have you taken?
I'm on a pump so I can take my insulin over a longer period of time.
What can happen is the insulin becomes ineffective if given in one dose if you eat carbs at a higher amount.
If you are injecting, try splitting the dose and take about 1/2 - 3/4 of your dose and take the rest about 3/4 - 1 hour later. See if that helps!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
High in fat meals will do it to you unfortunately. Fat slows down absorption of carbohydrates. You need to split the dose. I would take the second dose 2 hours later but you need to check how it works for you

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I think its a right section. I dont know why i assumed you were on insulin.Sorry but i cant help here. Perhaps potatoes wedges with chicken nuggets is one of your 'forbidden food'. Im on insulin and cant handle that kind of food well.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the potato wedges.
For a lower carb veg option which won't spike your bs as much, try celeriac and/or swede wedges.

Also, depending on the brand, the chicken nuggets can be full of carbs. If they are whole chicken pieces they will be lower in carbohydrates than the minced up variety, as the minced up sort will be mixed with breadcrumbs and other bulking agents.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion is that it is the chicken nuggets at fault. Minced up chicken and bulking agents are the worst things going. When I first got my meter I got some very high readings. When I looked into it chicken kievs proved to be as spiky as a Mars bar. My nurse did not believe me.

Since then a TV program went to the Ukraine to see how Kievs were made. The most telling part was the end of the program when the factory was asked how many kievs they get from one chicken breast. The answer was six.

Dippers, nuggets, kievs are all bulked out in a similar way.

Oh I forgot. Add goujon to the list.

Carbdodger

Seems a mad meal for a T2. All those carbs will be the ruin of you. Have you thought much about your food choices?
Cd