Blood Sugars Confusing

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

My level first thing this was 13.3, which is the highest reading I have had since getting my monitor. I ate only 3 reasonably healthy meals yesterday and didnt eat after 6.15pm. Today I had shreddies for breakfast and a small greenish banana and innocent fruit smoothie mid morning. Before lunch my reading was 13.2. I had wholewheat pasta for lunch today and tomorrow im trying the Dreamfields pasta. I just took another reading and it was 10.7. This is confusing me as I was expecting the pasta to make it rise with it being a carb.

I really have no idea why my early readings were so high today and im getting very confused. [:(!]

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Claire

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was my time of the month last week and then I came down with a really bad cold that knocked me off my feet Wednesday to Saturday. More or less over it now though and the readings were never that high.

That is why I am confused, especially with it coming down after a carb. Does that mean I can eat pasta?

I really dont get why it is so high.

Thanks

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Apparently everyone's different when it comes to carbs!Maybe you can eat pasta without it going up.You would have to test two hours after a pasta meal to check.

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My reading before lunch was 13.2. My reading two hours after the pasta was 10.7. So it definately went down after the pasta.

Im more worried though about why my reading was 13.2 in the first place and 13.3 this morning before breakfast.

Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Not taking any cough mixture are you?Some of these have a lot of sugar in them.Maybe you should speak to yout diabetic nurse see what she says.

Just another thought,Is your monitor calibrated OK,have you changed strips,is the code OK.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Claire,

All good advice in the posts above. I would only add that porridge made with skimmed milk has even less carbs than bran flakes, and has the same fairly low GI (42) so won't give you a sudden sugar high. Like you I am on the Dreamfields pasta tomorrow night. Had it twice so far and each time my sugar levels have hardly moved. With any other form of pasta they go through the roof.

Maria

hi.
were do you get the Dreamfields pasta from please?
Maria...how about drinks..tea.coffee..soft suger free.do they take the blood up also?
Maria.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

Here is a link to the Dreamfields UK website (it is actually an American company). It has a list of their UK stockists, but they also sell by mail order.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.co.uk/

Coffee - there is a lot of research into coffee at the moment. For a long time it was thought to contribute to insulin resistance and therefore should only be taken in small quantities. However recent research in US and Scandinavia has blown that theory out of the water as they have found that people with a high caffiene intake (more than 10 large cups per day) are 79% LESS likely to contract diabetes. They have also found that coffee contains chlorogenic acids which inhibit carbohydrate being turned into sugar in the blood, which lowers glocose levels. Until more research is done, probably still best to drink in small quantities.

Tea - is believed to have a beneficial effect on the receptors in the pancreas, but this is still being researched. Is also well known to help in reducing obesity. Generally regarded as completely safe for diabetics.

Nanjay

Hi, everybody, I have not posted for a while as my husband had a mini-stroke and I have been preoccupied with looking after him, work and (the same day as he had the stroke) I found I had a fortunately mild attack of shingles! We are both on the mend now. Roll on Christmas,eh? Anyway, to contribute to this thread, I found that making my porridge with Alpro light which is the unsweetened soya milk helped enormously. I cant face making it with water like the Scots do, so unsweetened soya milk gives it a nice milky taste without the lactose. Plus the cinnamon makes it tasty too. I do find porridge keeps me going a lot longer than almost anything. Also on the smoothies point, I found the Rick Gallup Glycemic Diet books helpful and he says food should be "the grittier the better" as with pureed food (smoothies, soups etc) the glucose gets into the blood stream quicker and that certainly seems to be the case with me. Hope this helps. Nanjay

Maria

Hi all :)
Dennis did you get spagettie from the uk site? i dont see any sweetheart? I did check the us site,,postage high though to be expected i supose..any were else I can get it from?
also bread..rivita..crackers? which is the lowest carbs? or are they all the same..anyone any idea?how about rice?
Maria. :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Maria,

I buy Dreamfields pastas from Squires Garden Centres - I pass one on my way home so not a problem for me. I see from their list of retailers that nearly all the retailers are in the south. I don't know where you are based, but if it's not in the south or Stratford-upon-Avon, Bury or Middlesborough then you will only be able to get it by mail order. But you can order it from the UK site, you don't have to get it from the US. If you order from the UK site each box costs £2.95 (same price as in the shops) and post and packing is free.

For information on carbs just look in "Sticky: General links for diabetes" in this section, where Sue has listed loads of websites that list carb content of different foods and you will be able to find answers to your questions for yourself.

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I looked on the Dreamfields UK website and was going to order 1 box to try. The postage and package is not free though. The one box was £2.95, but when they added on postage and package it came to £7.20 for just one box.

I emailed the enquiry address on the site asking if there are any local stockists and Lee from company kindly sent me some samples.

If I like it / get on ok with it, then I will bulk order it and then the postage and package wont be so bad.

There is a possibilty of someone local stocking it, but it definately could do with being available further north.

Hope that helps.

Claire

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Claire,

You are absolutely right. I had put a dummy order through their order process but not completed the transaction, up to which point it still said postage was £0.00. I just tried again and it is only right at the end that it says how much the postage is.

Sorry if I mislead anyone, but it looks like their postage is very high unless you order in bulk.