diet whey?

justjay

hopefully this is in the right place...

now I'm training harder at the gym, and trying to get leaner, ive started using PhD diet whey, which is a protein shake with the added benefit of things like green tea extract and such like. now it's probably a coincidence but I started it yesterday and my levels shot up, brought them down and went to bed last night and then after brekkie this morning, had another and they've shot up again. there's only 1.6g I think it is of carbs per serving so could it be a coincidence and I just need to forget that and it be something else? I've attached a picture of the nutritional information if anyone can shed some thoughts?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380970218095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380970218095.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,232

Sabantha

I work in h&b and sell that protein, my husband also uses it. I wouldn't have thought that it would of raised bg, are you using with milk? I use a protein (sculptress) with water and has no effect on sugars really. I've also used green tea on its own and I felt it helped bg.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

justjay

Re: diet whey?

Sabantha said:
I work in h&b and sell that protein, my husband also uses it. I wouldn't have thought that it would of raised bg, are you using with milk? I use a protein (sculptress) with water and has no effect on sugars really. I've also used green tea on its own and I felt it helped bg.

thanks for your reply. I didn't think it would, and I had a chat with the staff today and she thought it shouldn't either. they are still quite high now for some reason, can't quite fathom it. of all the ingredients, I googled whatever and diabetes and it all looked like studies showed the ingredients (albeit separate) helped people with diabetes. no just use water with it. am also taking met rx thermo crush but with the exception of the caffeine, there's nothing in that I think know that would affect it.

Sabantha

Strange, I'd maybe try get thm settled and then try it again, if it does bounce up then you'd know it is that. Possible something working on you, you feeling well enough? My bg been like a roller coaster all week and turns out I have abscess in my mouth... High sugars explained. Lol

justjay

Sabantha said:
Strange, I'd maybe try get thm settled and then try it again, if it does bounce up then you'd know it is that. Possible something working on you, you feeling well enough? My bg been like a roller coaster all week and turns out I have abscess in my mouth... High sugars explained. Lol

I'll see if they calm down later and have a go. yep feel fine, apart from an injured shoulder but nothing else that I can feel.

justjay

so a few "tests" today with testing before, drinking shake etc, and they are fine. so I'm going to put it down to "one of those days" :grin:

cheers for your replies to the original concern tho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Iv just bought some PhD diet whey and just wondering weather it will be alright for me I'm a diabetic type 1 with an insulin pump doin carb counting what do people think ?

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used PhD diet whey and was fine for me! I used as a breakfast when in a rush for work. ATM I'm using 'My Protein' but think I prefer PhD. I have to bolus for the protein as low carbing. I'd use water rather than milk.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein isolate is almost always going to be better than a protein blend or weight gainer (tons of carbs). A good protein isolate shouldn't have more than 3-4g of carbs per serving.

I always remind people that there isn't anything magical about protein powder. It's protein in powder form....that's it. Unless you have a protein deficiency or don't have the time to prepare food, protein powder probably isn't going to make much of a difference.