Diverticulosis

mazbee

Earlier today I had a colonoscopy, to see if my lower stomach pains, cramps, bloating and wind were more than Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The procedure confirmed I have Diverticulosis not IBS.

I am now waiting to see my consultant on what this entails... from reading online it seems I may have to change my diet again.

Has any one else got this problem?
Does it interfere with your diabetic diet or treatment?

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mazee...
I was diagnosed with diverticulitis soon after the Diabetes diagnosis. I have to keep a supply of Antibiotics handy in case the wretched thing flares up again and doubles me over with stomach cramps. My diet has changed slightly to include more roughage in the form of muesli and seeded bread. I also take a powder called Dulcobalance in water last thing at night to keep me regular and soft! Good luck with your diet... You do get used to it...! Robin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mazbee

Thanks for replying Robin, and thank you for the advice.
I see my Dr in approx three weeks, after I have seen another consultant about the gallstones I have that were found during an ultrasound scan.

meoman

There are different opinions about Diverticulosis and a high fibre diet that contains Flax. Flax useful in blood sugar control etc as Type2. The different opinions when Googling range from avoiding Flax if you have Diverticulosis through to other search results that suggest it is good to have. Other results loosely suggest overnight soaking before taking is good whereas whole seeds or ground may flair up because of related pockets in bowel with Diverticulosis. Be great to have some real user advise. Thanks

bumbles1952

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis some 3 years ago now. I have flare ups occasionally but have not for about 18months. I had gall bladder removed about 8 years ago. The only medication I take is omeprazole daily. I was diagnosed type 2 in feb 2013 Hba1c 117, take 4 metformin and 80mg gliclazide. Hba1c now 41. Just eat normal healthy diet, have to watch how many potatoes which push up my bg more so than other starchy carbs.

bumbles1952

No I do not but perhaps I should also have added that I stopped smoking and drinking in July 2012 after having lost 1.5 stone on slimming world diet. This may have helped the diverticulitis symptoms. I then put 2 stone on until I started to diet again in jan 2013, I followed the slimming world diet which is essentially low fat but high in starchy carbs with the exception of bread. I lost 1.5 stone by feb but was then diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. The Dr thought the diabetic symptoms dry mouth drinking lots of fluid etc was due to stopping smoking!, but eventually I was diagnosed diabetic. I kept telling the doc that I had never felt so ill in all my life but diabetes was never considered until I had sudden vision improvement!,,,, yes improvement, did not last mind. Still keep to the relatively low fat but have reduced the amount of starchy carbs particularly potatoes. So all in all it may be that no smoking and no alcohol is the most significant factor, oh also retired from a very stressful career, all have undoubtedly helped reduce the flare ups. Incidentally I also suffered with high blood pressure but now no longer need bp medication. So having made all these strides to improve my health I then got diagnosed with diabetes, may be all the carbs I was eating just fuelled the problem, but hey ho c'est la vie.

meoman

i think dieting is key to assisting.pills in lowering bs.. im not sure if the diabetic benefits of flax cause ibs issues.. thus the question etc.

mazbee

I am waiting to go and see my consultant and then my Dr regarding diverticulosis, so hopefully I will know more then.
I am also booked in to see another consultant next week for Gall bladder stones and associated problems.

I was diagnosed late 2009 with type 2 diabetes, I was originally on 1500mg per day, but now I take 500mg per day. I was managing my blood glucose well and I was hoping to come off them altogether last June. The Dr thought it unwise as I have had 2 episodes of very low blood sugars, at least once if not twice a month since January I have had a recurring water infection, including blood in my water (I am post menopausal).
I have been treated for irritable bowels for the last two years, and the lower tummy pain has become constant and crippling at times, so my Dr sent me for the tests which have identified my latest problems.
I am awaiting results from blood tests to see if anything else is picked up...

I will keep you all posted regarding my medical visits and advice given.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

I have diverticulitis and DO find certain foods can trigger it all off ...

There ARE certain food groups that are a huge no no with me .
With both my diabetes and the diverticultis bowel disease .
Spicey foods , onion/leek family , carby starchy foods , red/green peppers ,
[ am fine with yellow peppers though :crazy: ]
root veggies , anything with seeds in like tomatoes/cucumber/kiwi fruit
As the seeds collect/settle in the diverticuleas pockets .
Gassy carbonated drinks are out as they bloat me up so 'hugely' .
Find Aldi's sparkling water , tonic/soda waters the least gassiest out of 'all supermarkets'
plus they are cheaper also .

Homemade soups need to be very well blended and thin flat crackers best rather than any seeded ones .
I favour to eat little snack portions , more like a nibble than a real meal size or a large snack size . :thumbup:
Is best for myself it helps to keep both of the diabetes and the diverticulitis conditions in better control .

I use medication colofac/mebeverine plus co-codamol to deal with any diverticulitis flare ups .
If I get an infection then this needs to be treated with antibiotics . :crazy:
A diverticulitis infection will then impact on my diabetes badly .
Raises my BG levels for days - till I get over the infection at its worst .
One so easily impacts on the other I have found .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

meoman

Youre suggesting you dont take 3 decent size.meals a day but regular and small snack type meals?.. what would be examples of this?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I was diagnosed with DD more than 15 years ago, after suffering with constipation after taking painkillers that bunged me up.
Over the years I've suffered constipation and diahorrea. I don't often get a flare up and if I do it only usually last 24 hours, lots of wind and pain on lower left of abdomen.
I recently had a flare up that last 3 days, so I went to see my GP that prescribed antibiotics.
The ABs cleared up the DD, but left me with thrush. This cleared up with over the counter Cansten Duo.
I'm still not back to my regular self. But one thing that does help is Fybogel. It does make you bloated and windy. But it makes going the loo much easier, as it bulks things up.
It helps for constipation and diahorrea.
If you are on Facebook there is a good group on there, with lots of helpful info in the files section. It's a closed group, so no fear of your friends seeing your posts about personal matters. The group is called Diverticular Disease and it's a UK group.
I eat Burgen flax and soya bread, but not very often. I think flax has to be ground to be of any help. You can also buy flax seed oil but no idea if it helps or not.
Keep up the fibre, fresh fruit and veg and soluble fibre helps.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I've been on metformin for several years and sitagliptin added a couple of years ago.
I've just been changed on a slow release metformin.
But I've had DD for a lot longer.
I changed my diet a few months ago to higher fibre and lower carb.
I've lost weight and awaiting my latest HbA1c results. Which I'm sure has gone down.
The thing to avoid is constipation as it makes matters worse. The Fybogel really helps, takes a few days to kick in. Take it twice a day with lots of water.
Available over the counter or on prescription.

meoman

fibre for diabetes is good to help slow sugar release.. i hear fibre goid for divert but then i read fibre such as flax wont agree with diver.. thoughts as seem different views.. soluble or nonsoluble also xonfuses.me.. thoughts cocacola?