Looking older because of diabetes, will this help?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been diagnosed with diabetes for just over two years now (I spent a couple of years before this feeling awful and was tested for thyroid problems, anemia, etc, before diabetes was discovered). I noticed that I seemed to be ageing really quickly between about 30-34 and have ended up looking older than my years (I'm 38 now). Most of my friends are in their earlier to mid-40s and they all look younger than me :( I've always put this down to a bit of a hard period in my life (partner being seriously ill, depression, financial problems, etc), but I've only recently found out that people with diabetes tend to age prematurely in comparison to non-diabetics due to glycation damaging collegen.

Anyway, to get to my point, I've been doing a bit of reading and have come across a supplement called aminoguanidine which can slow down glycation, which is also good news for other problems associated with diabetes, such as neuropathy, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it? It's pretty expensive, so I'll need to do a bit more research to try to establish just how useful it is, but I'd be really interested to know if anyone here has found this to be a helpful supplement?

Sorry for such a rambling post, Sx :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A quick google shows that a clinical trial using aminoguanidine (Pimagedine was stopped for 'safety concerns' in 1998.

ACTION I and II were double-masked, multiple-dose, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trials designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of advanced glycosylated endproduct inhibition (AGEi) using pimagedine in retarding the rate of progression of renal disease in participants with overt diabetic nephropathy

On March of 1998, having accumulated 50% of the total information anticipated for ACTION II, the ACTION I and II External Safety Monitoring Committee (ESMC) recommended the early termination of the ACTION II trial due to safety concerns and apparent lack of efficacy.
http://www2.bsc.gwu.edu/bsc/oneproj.php?pkey=3

I tried to find out what these side effects are . I couldn't find a paper with the results, I did find this in a book (google books) Vascular Complications of Diabetes: Current Issues in Pathogenesis and Treatment
edited by Richard Donnelly, Edward Horton
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eWBd ... ne&f=false
NB I had to copy the quote so any spelling mistakes are mine
The side-effect profile of aminoguanidine makes it unsuitable for widespread clinical use. Early studies showed changes in the blood film resembling pernicious anaemia, but of greater concern is the development of antinuclear antibodies and clinical features of vasculitus and glomerulonephritis.

I think I'd really be careful of this one.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, from what I've been reading toxicity only seems to be a problem if a high dosage is taken, > 600 mg per day for diabetics, although keeping it to below 300 mg is probably best. But after reading a bit more about this, it does seem that the possible side effects may out-weigh the benefits. I may still bring it up with my consultant and see what he has to say on the matter. Ah well, more wrinkles for me then :(

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I submit that ALL diabetic problems can be improved with good control, achieved by a low carb, increased fat diet.

So many diabetes research programmes test drugs against placebos, but NEVER against the obvious low carb, increased fat diet that so many of us find beneficial.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I do follow a very low carb diet (< 30-50g per day).

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm now 66 and most people think I look about 55.
I've been diagnosed T2 for 11 years. I do though, keep my bg low and my Hb A1c in the 5%s.
I also eat a fair bit of fat,[with low carb] which Ithink helps my skin stay in good condition.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

We have discussed this before, you might like to read the discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31515

I have friends who look older than their years and friends who look younger. Non of them have diabetes so it may be genes or lifestyle as well as prolonged high blood sugars, who really knows? Just be thankful that you have a chronic condition that is manageable as opposed to a terminal illness. Accept who you are because, like everyone else, you are unique.

kellibabi

I'm also 38 - often mistaken for mid-20's though.
Probably down to good genes BUT I quit smoking, drink plenty of water & moisturise (nothing fancy, Nivea, Olay will do -
'other brands are also available!) & don't cook myself in the Sun.

None of us are getting any younger though, so just because a person looks young on the outside, our organs & 'bits & pieces'
are still ageing. There's NO escape.

No point popping pills to try to change it - you never know how safe they actually are.

p.s I'm also a bit pee'd off about the whole zits AND wrinkles thing!!! Gaaargh.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I should embrace my lines, it's just hard to accept wrinkles and knowing that diabetes brings premature ageing, along with all the other possible health problems, it just feels a bit unfair.

I did see quite an inspirational programme a few weeks back called 'Fabulous Fashionistas' and it did make me think more positively about ageing. None of the ladies had gone down the cosmetic procedure route and still loved life and how they looked. It was interesting that one of the ladies was very physically active, she was still working as a choreographer and spent 40 minutes every morning exercising. She was 87, and looked like she was in her 50's!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sirzy said:
I know I should embrace my lines, it's just hard to accept wrinkles and knowing that diabetes brings premature ageing, along with all the other possible health problems, it just feels a bit unfair.

I did see quite an inspirational programme a few weeks back called 'Fabulous Fashionistas' and it did make me think more positively about ageing. None of the ladies had gone down the cosmetic procedure route and still loved life and how they looked. It was interesting that one of the ladies was very physically active, she was still working as a choreographer and spent 40 minutes every morning exercising. She was 87, and looked like she was in her 50's!

I watched this same programme and was blown away by it ...
Gilly was the 87yr old who looked in her 50's .
She was still VERY active and supple with her regular stretching and still teaching dance routines .
The other 4 ladies all had the same POSITIVE energy drive to live life to the absolute fullest
and dressed much younger than their age .

The programme was VERY inspiring to me and made me consider my own lifestyle/routine too .

I ALWAYS use rose water "only" to clean my face n tone up with my skin care routine.
SWEAR by this to keep my skin feeling and looking so great ...
All the serums and creams on the market nowadays I wont touch at all .

My own mother and my grandmother used natural products 'only' and both looked 20 years 'much' younger !

Anna .

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things I admired about the ladies in this programme was that they really didn't care what other people thought about them, it just wasn't something that even registered with them. I thought they were brilliant, and much better role models for women than many of these so called 'celebrities' and reality stars.

You're the second person who's sworn by rose water that I've come across lately, I'm tempted to give it a go, which brand do you use? I'd imagine it would be best to avoid brands that contain perfumes, alcohol, etc.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sirzy said:
One of the things I admired about the ladies in this programme was that they really didn't care what other people thought about them, it just wasn't something that even registered with them. I thought they were brilliant, and much better role models for women than many of these so called 'celebrities' and reality stars.

You're the second person who's sworn by rose water that I've come across lately, I'm tempted to give it a go, which brand do you use? I'd imagine it would be best to avoid brands that contain perfumes, alcohol, etc.

Boots botanics rose water or Garnier rose water .
The purer the better though :thumbup:

Yes the ladies had amazing confidence and were very wise women too .
I was so inspired by them I must admit :D

Anna .