Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
On Saturday I joined Diabetes UK in waving a bucket around at a Tescos for 3 hours - my motive being that they are funding research into a vaccine to prevent children from developing type 1 and as I also have type 1.

I was pretty amazed by the reaction I had - alot of people just walked past either fumbling for a mobile phone, looking in the opposite direction, alot said 'no change', few people said 'no thanks i've already got it', but remarkably the people that stopped to talk to me had type 1 themselves, in fact over 3 hours 4 people with the condition stopped for a chat and to talk about their experiences, what struck me about these individuals was their attitude, they were really positive people, lived normal lives and wouldn't let the condition beat them could laugh off the highs and lows of living with diabetes and all gave money. By talking to these people it was clear that people with type 1 are strong, are fighters and in my book that makes them incredible people.

We talk on here so much about what get's us down and what battles we have but really we all are very strong people including the mums and dads who have to manage their kids diabetes. Admittedly it's a very personal battle for everyone but we all find our own way of walking the tightrope and staying balanced and we all have the ability to manage it, rather than let it manage us.

Good luck :thumbup:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We saw the bucket in our local tescos on Saturday too. Stopped to put money in and my mother insisted on announcing I had T1. Cheers ma, I could have said that by myself ;)

But it's true, a lot of diabetics are positive about not letting their condition beat them. We do like to come on here for a moan too though ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well done Hale - to be honest it was lovely to speak to other type 1's - I got a sense from a few that they felt lonely about the condition, and that they were carrying a burden but determined to carry on as normal still wanted to talk about living with type 1 and interested to know how I manage it.

It was so nice to meet them - so I will definately wave a bucket again, hopefully lots will give money too !

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Juicyj said:
Well done Hale - to be honest it was lovely to speak to other type 1's - I got a sense from a few that they felt lonely about the condition, and that they were carrying a burden but determined to carry on as normal still wanted to talk about living with type 1 and interested to know how I manage it.

It was so nice to meet them - so I will definately wave a bucket again, hopefully lots will give money too !

What a lovely thread juicyj, You sound as though you had a great time waving your bucket about and for such a worthy cause. I have type 1, so does my granddaughter, she was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years :( she's 5 now.

Hats off to ALL type 1's ( especially the children) it can be a very hard struggle at times, but we won't be beaten. We control the diabetes, it doesn't control us :D

Thanks for making my day

RRB :)

linsay

I also saw people in my local tesco collecting. I stopped to put all my change in. My dad was with me and was about to announce my condition as he does, im used to it. The men collecting couldmt have been anymore rude. They did not stop their conversation between themselves. No smile and worst of all no thank you. Im so glad not everyone is the same.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

vespa

I generally put my spare change in the charity tin, since Diagnosis I have put money in DiabeteUK tin in Tescos even when I have no change I take quid out and put that in, having the condition does make it hit home about all the myths and misunderstanding of diabetes and the work toward a cure for it, which is a worthwhile cause as it does affect a significant number of people in the UK which must cost the NHS an absolute fortune to look after, a cure would be the best of both worlds.

jbeer1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I stopped by and placed money into a bucket. Then realised that it was held by my DSN lol. Was great speaking to the other t1`s they seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Personally I think if you're fit and got type 1 then grab a bucket and help raise money, it's only a few times a year but if JDRF or Diabetes UK could find a cure or even a vaccine to prevent it then that would be marvelous !

I'll definately be wearing a big smile and a silly wig again, was enjoyable to meet people from many walks of life and hopefully I bought some cheer to other type 1's.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great thread Juicyj, pleased you met so many type 1's with such a positive attitude to life and their condition :)