is it worth it

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
on about 4-5 jabs a day, quite active, ride motor bikes etc garden stuff, tree felling etc, so really is the pump worth going for, I have the chance to go for one,

thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
How is your control now ? Are you on MDI ? If so, what are your levels ? I'm basal/bolus and quite happy. My control is pretty good. I'm not sure I'd want the pump, although many aspire to them. Injections don't really bother me. Ultimately though, it 's just personal choice. Good luck !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
hi mo, thanks for reply, whats mdi ? I was taking about 7 jabs a day, but have put myself on a very limited carb and fat diet and have got them down to about 4 ish with basal / bolas (short acting and long acting) thanks again, may not need pump now but just wondering incase its 'so liberating'

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
ewan said:
hi mo, thanks for reply, whats mdi ? I was taking about 7 jabs a day, but have put myself on a very limited carb and fat diet and have got them down to about 4 ish with basal / bolas (short acting and long acting) thanks again, may not need pump now but just wondering incase its 'so liberating'
Sorry Ewan, MDI is what we're both on. Multiple Daily Injections. Good luck mate !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ewan,
It all depends on what you are looking to get out of a pump. It usually improves peoples control and it can help with people who have a good HbA1c but who go low a lot of the time to get it. It can also help with people on irregular patterns shift work etc and also people who like to be really active but keep going low on injections. I'm quite active myself and don't find the pump an issue of where to put it or it falling off or getting bashed about and I would never give mine back. From reading why people want to stop using it on here it's mainly to do with the mental issue of having something permanently attached to you doesn't bother me in the slightest but it does bother some. When you get a pump to achieve the best results from it it's best to do a lot of intensive work to get all your ratios and basal settings down some people can find this really time consuming and hard work as each person is individual it's not like your doctor can say do this then take this much at these hours you have to work out your own individual settings that work for you.
If you have any questions here's as good as any to answer them.
Laura

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ewan

I have been T1 since 1970, been on pump now for last 18 months and would never go back to the old MDI way. It took some time to get sorted like Laura mentioned it needs some work to get it working well, also takes a while to get use to being connected, but now it feels normal and even miss it when its disconnected (for shower, bath etc).

Also have Dex G4 which I fund myself for last year, this is great too if you can afford it, giving BG every 5 mins and warning of rises and falls. Now I do not get surprises with hypo's and can fix them before they happen. Also stops the mood swings as it helps to stop the BG swings.

Chas