Pump session - new meter and stuff

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've just come back from an annual session on pumps (going through all the features, trouble shooting etc with Medtronic rep and DSN team - 4 other pumpers there) and we've been told that we'll all should get the Contour USB next Link meter when it's due out in this country at the end of the summer. I've read that the contour USB meters very good and apparently stores double the readings that the contour link meter I have now does. This was raised as an issue as, if there's a problem with DVLA, the download from the contour meter now doesn't provide enough readings to satisfy them? I'm please as they're much smaller as we carry a lot as it is!!

Also, they discussed not issuing back-up novo rapid pens due to the waste when they're not used and go out of date. They are looking at the possibility of issuing small syringes that people can use with their vials. Nothing definate decided though. A good afternoon and lovely to be discussing issues with other pump users face to face. :thumbup:

We also had another safety notice from Medtronic handed out and this one was about a possible issue with the sensors on the touch cap and the insulin reservoir getting wet on filling reservoir. They advise that after filling reservoir with vial upside down, it is then turned back over and the blue cap is then detached from the vial (not whilst it's still upside down as I was doing!). If the sensor in the cap gets wet there could be an issue with under/over delivery of insulin. I'm sure this notice is winging its way to all users with a Medtronic pump as we speak.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Very interesting. I have the USB Next Contour meter, if they're bringing out a link one that can connect to the pump, all the better!

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri, where is this sensor that your talking about please? I remember seeing the official warning a while back but couldn't understand what it was referring to. Do you mean the white end on the top end of the reservoir? It's difficult to see how that getting that wet could affect the amount of insulin delivered at all? I don't get it at all. That said, it does waste a bit of insulin when you do it like this.

The usb link meter is a bit smaller with a much more readable display (with colours) so it'll be good when that comes out.

A smaller syringe sounds like a good idea because my current ones hold 100 units which is way more than is necessary. If I delivered 100 units accidentally I'd probably die! The real problem though, compared to a pump I find, is managing to give a completely accurate dose because it's can be quite easy to be a unit out.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Must admit I was a bit baffled with what they said. But it says 'after filling reservoir make sure the vial of insulin is held upright when removing the reservoir from the blue transfer guard. This prevents insulin from accidentally getting on the top of the reservoir which could transfer liquid into the tubing connector'

So it's the inside of the tubing connector that's the problem if it gets wet as the insulin could block some vents or other.

I'll try and put the notice up via a photo.

skipbifferty

Don't worry putting up the photo, they often don't provide all the necessary information anyway. I think I'll follow the technique anyway.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok. As far as syringes go, I've never used one. Find the pens easy as you click to dial units and it's clear how much you're giving. Sounds like the syringes are not as obvious? :thumbup:

tyrone186

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys this is my first reply on a forum so hope I get this correct :)
I have been waiting for a while to see if bayer was going to release the contour next link. I posted on the bayer diabetes page on facebook and asked if was going to release it in the uk, they responded with a link to fill in details and they will send out the contour next link within the 28 days or they said contact customer services. I have the link I could post but not sure of the forum rules, as I don't want to get in trouble I would be grateful if someone could let me know if I can post the link for everybody with a contour link who wish to upgrade to the new contour next link. Tyrone :wave:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for info Tyrone. I clicked onto the Bayer web-site and found the link for there. Hopefully my usb next link meter will soon be on its way to me. :thumbup:

tyrone186

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope we don't have to wait the 28 days, the little things that get a diabetic excited and all that :clap:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When my rapid insulin back-up pens are getting towards expiry date I use them fill my reservoir . That saves the waste. I still waste the backup basal insulin and I regret that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My gp prescribes 1 spare cartridge of long acting insulin for a pen plus a pack of syringes. I prefer just to syringe if I have to.. But so far 3 years on pump and only one need for a fast acting jab from syringe. Gp's can prescribe one cartridge if necessary.. Mind you bet the chemist has to waste the other cartridges from the pack. I just use the pump larger vial quick acting by syringe if I needed to.
Dont carry any back up nowadays with me unless I'm going on holiday, as can get home within an hour if needed.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I filled in the form on Thursday and received the meter on Saturday. Very pleased with it and I hope you all have the same turnaround time. :)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

manicdefender

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would someone please mind sending me the website for the new meter? I had a contour link and it broke so switched to a a next usb, having another link meter would be awesome :D

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got my little contour next link meter yesterday - really like it. Went in for my flu jab to the surgery today and my GP asked me if I needed anything. Asked for the new strips to go with the meter and he entered them on to the computer and raised an eyebrow as the price came up. He said did I know how much they were? I told him that I'd checked and they weren't much different to the normal contour meter strips (I had seen someone on a forum saying that) and I challenged him (with a smile on my face) and asked him how much the other strips were. He replied 'no idea'! We have a good relationship and he's a nice guy with a great sense of humour so there was not a problem in getting them but I can imagine some other GPs not being so accommodating as they are more expensive.
To set-up my pump with it next :thumbup: