More amputation?

N

NicolaB70

Blothom, sorry to hear of your recent troubles, sending my best wishes for your recovery.

Nicola

P.S. Have asked my "urban dictionary" translator (my 18yr old son) what "dench" means, it's teen talk for "strong", "built like a house", etc! I'm forever asking them to translate words for me!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
How good is you control?
If you keep you bg at or near normal [5] consistently, you should get improvement. In the meantime pester the H**l out of them until they look at it and don't accept the inevitability of amputation. According to a DSN sister I know, 80% of amputations shouldn't happen.
the key is in GOOD control.
if you've never considered a low carb diet, I think it might be worth it for you, because it would help keep bg down and lower bg means less sugar to feed infections.

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Hi Hanadr,
My bgs are a bit variable at the moment, (still in hospital, toe is struggling) but when I had the first toe amputated, my HbAic was 135 :shock: then 2 months later, after starting insulin, I had brought it down to 72, and now, as of last week, it is 48! :clap: and my bg averages normally at 6 -7, which is where I aim to keep it, as I drive, and need my licence to get to work, living in rural NE Scotland.
The docs have varied my meds considerably to allow for painful neuropathy and the heart condition, but today, for the first time, it looked as though the toe was responding! It is a little shorter than it was, as I have lost the very tip of it (the rounded part above the nail) so it is a flat top but I can live with that!
Everyone has been so supportive on this forum, I cannot tell you all how uplifting it has been, and I will continue to keep you all posted. It is only by sharing our experiences that we can all learn.
Thanks again, and much love,
Pat (Blothom) xxx :thumbup:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
You should keep up the good work and give your toe a talking to!

Cara

Sugar pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
banana's, fake people,
Hope things continue to improve and well done on getting your blood sugar level under control. :D

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All,
Another little scare last night, just before bed, started peeing blood big time, with no warning or pain. Continued through the night, so worried sick - is there anything else that can go wrong?! Anyway, after an ultrasound this am, and a CT scan this pm. they concluded that it was probably a stone (of which I have had no previous history) and my now famous lack of pain indicators were probably responsible for its unannounced appearance. I will be able to go home tomorrow, as planned, and just come in as an outpatient for a scope of the bladder, to rule out any other possible reasons, but all is clear now, and I am a much happier bunny today. Has anyone else had any similar problems with deadened pain signals, and does it get better with good control?
Signing off to get some much needed sleep, lots of packing to do tomorrow!
All the best, Pat. (Blothom)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pat. You've had a lot to come through at once and have done so well to keep a positive attitude. I hope you have the worst of it behind you now. Sincere best wishes for a full and speedy recovery

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Updates on the survival process!
I am back home now, eventually came out on 15/10/13, and feel much better. Saw my podiatrist today, and the toe seems to be responding well. It is ulcerated but has clean edges which are (apparently) a good sign, and is a much healthier colour than previously. I will probably have to wear orthotic shoes, but if that is the most I have to deal with, I shall feel happy. I have outpatient appointments for Urology, and Rheumatology, who have both found me "interesting" but not "exciting" (they sure know how to make a girl feel good!) These are medical terms, it would seem, and are understood by docs and students, but patients find it demoralising, :***: Oh well, onwards and upwards, hopefully this is the last of the saga!
Thanks again, everyone who read and/or commented - you all helped to keep me going through a difficult time. :crazy:
Love Pat