Cord blood banking

Just Laura

My six year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 in January of this year, just before we found out I was pregnant.
Whilst I'm not one who is necessarily holding out for a cure any time soon, I am interested in the research going on around the use of stem cells and how banking blood from a sibling cord could be of use.
Does anyone know any more about it than me? Also interested in other people's opinions and what they'd do in my position?
I think we may go ahead with the procedure anyway as I can't help thinking "what if" or "I really wish we'd done it when we had the chance" ten years down the line.

CambridgeLass

I would do it. Seriously. If I had my time over with hindsight I would have banked both my kids cord blood. Cord blood is the best for stem cells. Stem cell treatment is so promising (we're both scientists) Do it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Just Laura

Thank you, it does! A little girl named Amalie who is, of course, a beauty ;)

Procedure was easy enough (for those who knew what they were doing) but not sure how viable the samples were. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gorgeous name. Fingers crossed the research progresses and the samples are viable :)

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
A cord blood bank is a facility which stores umbilical cord blood(Stem cells) for future use.
. "Stem cells are immature cells that can both reproduce themselves and have the potential to turn into other types of cells. There are several types. The ones in umbilical cord blood and bone marrow are called hematopoietic progenitor cells (HPCs).

Generally an expectant mother interested in donation should contact the bank before the 34th week of pregnancy.
Both private and public cord blood banks have developed since the mid to late 1990s in response to the potential for cord blood transplants.

Private banks store cord blood with a link to the identity of the donor, so that the family may retrieve it later if it is needed. The parents have custody of the cord blood until the child is an adult. The cord blood might someday be needed by the donor baby, or it could be used by a relative who is a close enough match to receive a transplant from the donor (typically a sibling).

Cord blood cells are currently used to treat blood and immune system related genetic diseases, cancers and blood disorders.
Umbilical cord blood stem cells can be used in transplants to treat a variety of pediatric disorders including leukemia, sickle cell disease, and metabolic disorders.
The use of cord blood stem cells in treating conditions such as brain injury and Type 1 Diabetes [ is already being studied in humans, and earlier stage research is being conducted for treatments of stroke, and hearing loss.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My six year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 in January of this year, just before we found out I was pregnant.
Whilst I'm not one who is necessarily holding out for a cure any time soon, I am interested in the research going on around the use of stem cells and how banking blood from a sibling cord could be of use.
Does anyone know any more about it than me? Also interested in other people's opinions and what they'd do in my position?
I think we may go ahead with the procedure anyway as I can't help thinking "what if" or "I really wish we'd done it when we had the chance" ten years down the line.

Cord blood banking involves depriving the baby that’s just been born of its own blood by means of clamping the cord straight after it’s been born in order to harvest the blood trapped in the cord and placenta. It is possible to get some blood if early clamping has not happened but highly unlikely.

I’ve not looked into the long term problems of the routine practice of immediate or early cord clamping (anaemia is well documented though) but I feel that depriving a baby of its own blood volume and stem cells may cause problems that we simply don’t understand yet.

EDIT: I’ve just seen how old this post is but I’ll leave up the info I’ve posted for future reference.