CGM'S Cost

rmd

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I am hopefully getting a pump before xmas, have a date for the 7 days on the CGM for 6th Nov, I have been told that if I want a CGM to go with my pump I would have to cover that cost.

Does anyone know how much these are, how long they last for and if it is worth doing?

many thanks

have a good one

x

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
depends what make and pump it is. Youll be saving a lot by having it intergrated

sticks71

Hi. I'd be interested to hear what the costs are too. I'm having a lot of hypo awareness issues and am considering using a CGMS but would most likely have to fund it myself. It won't work in conjunction with my pump as I use the Omnipod patch pump.

I'm using the dexcom system alongside my animas pump. Probably costs around £100 per month. The transmitter and a pack of 4 sensors cost £500. Officially the transmitter last 6 months but there are reports that it lasts longer. The sensor lasts on week but again, you can use it longer, up to two weeks. A sensor is £50 individually.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the dexcom/animas combo is the cheapest from what ive seen, like john said transmitter and 4 sensors =£500. Ive heard transmitters last easily a year some 18months. The sensors can last anywhere from 7 days to (some people say) a month. Obviously you need to test occasionally to check accuracy.

I work that out at £32.86 a week if you get sensors lasting 2 weeks and one transmitter a year.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I use the Medtronic Veo pump and I pay for my own sensors every now and then it's about £268 for a box of 5 sensors so I only really do it once a month because I can't afford that every month. It then works out that I'm only paying it every 5-6 months. You are eligable for free sensors if your female and trying to get pregnant, also for a few months following delivary. Other than that there are no plans at the moment to offer them for free. (Not that I know of anyway, this may change - fingers crossed)

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi does anyone know if i could get a better price in america...

I got prices for dexcom, in the uk, but these were higher than what has been discussed here, as you need the reciever as well. I wonder whether there a massive discount with a paired pump/cgm system? I cant change my pump as it is new, and the local health service only deal with one supplier (accu chek).

From details provided by uk distributor...
DexCom G4 Starter Kit £975.00 (ex. VAT)
(Includes receiver (results displayed in mmol/l), transmitter,
G4 7-day Sensors (pack of 4) £250.00 (ex. VAT)
Delivery charge £7.50 (per order)

From information on the web, sensors are approved for 7 days as above - but can last longer, sometimes(!?) 50-60 each
Reciever warranty is 12 mo
Transmitter is 325 and has a 6 month warranty

Does anybody know any clever secrets here as I would really appreciate some good news on this. BG management is extremely difficult when you dont know trends, (and i have had a lot of practise) especially for exercise and other deviations from doing nothing....
Thanks

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think one of the problems with buying these in america is you need a scrip from an american dr.

Yes a paired system is MUCH cheaper. Sorry cant help more.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi you can get the sets for the dexcom for 186 for four from animas even if your not already an exsisting customer. Make sure you fill out a vat exemption form as you will be exempt from paying vat. The only problem with getting them from the USA is that the reciever will probably only be in the american standard display not the same as the UK system. If it's a lot cheaper to get the system in America and you will be there anyway it may be worth trying to get one there. But make sure you have a Dr picked out and sorted before you go as it should only really be a quick meeting, looking over your history then giving you a script for the cgm. It does mean that you'll have to get the sets here though unless you're regularly taking trips there. If you add up all the travelling and drs costs it may be cheaper in the UK. It is also possible to borrow one from the company to trial to see how you like it you leave a deposit with them(£1000-£1200) and then they charge you for however many sets you use, I think this can only be for a month or so, although you may be able to do lots of experiments in that time that may help.