metformin. can't do it anymore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shzz46 said:
I was wondering would it be ok to miss taking it for a couple of days before

If a pill affects me adversely I stop taking it. I tell the nurse I have stopped taking it and why I have stopped taking it. She can then make alternative arrangements or not if she has no other pills.

I have never felt that I wasn't allowed to stop or that my medication was imposed on me without my agreement.

In the case of Metformin it gave me taste displacement so the dose was reduced. It never seems to do anything for my sugar levels anyway.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Let's face it, these side effects could happen to anyone one of us. So good for you for speaking up Whompa.

Don't forget to tell us how you get on with the new meds

Cara

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
On a quick search I found met sr for a little over 15pence and at low quantity so inbulk would be far less I would imagine arround 7/8 pence

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:D yout tell the doctors , don't let them tell you , its your body and ask them for a alternative for metformin , ive heard a lot about metformin , my hubby is on them and insulin injetions , but nothing to be embarrassed about , :D get back to us whompa

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
whompa73 said:
On a quick search I found met sr for a little over 15pence and at low quantity so inbulk would be far less I would imagine arround 7/8 pence
per electronic drug tariff:
£5.32/56 Glucophage SR 500mg
£0.86/28 Ordinary Metformin 500mg
I suppose converting the bike to gas might have been OK but not if the lumpy bits clog the fuel system :lol:

Good luck with the Met SR :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Andy that the SR version should be prescribed by default (mine was). The plain version causes so many people problems and the SR version is still a cheap drug. Hopefully the SR version will help you. BTW there is nothing equivalent to Metformin and it is the first drug of choice if you are overweight and insulin resistant. The other drugs have different mechanisms and are often better suited to those who are nearer to normal weight (see NICE Diabetes Pathways document)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Whompa73 .

A vist to your GP's is certainly needed ASAP .
Please do give us some feedback though .

As many have suffered with the effects of metformin in similar ways/fashion .
The feedback can and will be useful for others .

Anna .

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The DN changed my meds to Glucophage SR

Don't have to take Merformin any more.
See how it works out.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a milder version than you when on Metformin. Eventually I went on to Metformin SR (slow release) but can only take 1 per day instead of the recommended 4. I am Type 2, but on large doses of Insulin (NovoRapid before each meal and Lantus Solostar at night) as well as the 1 x Metformin SR. If you aren't already on SR, ask to try that, starting with 1 per day, increasing if necessary and see if you can tolerate it. Good luck.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Picking up sr in a couple of hours . But got appointment on 14 for somthing else so will ask questions at least I will have had a little time to see if they are ok. Bit miffed though as I only stopped last night and have been mainly in the 6s all week with the occasional 7s (mainly dawn fan) and also the odd 5s after swimming. Today started great with a 6 but heve just crept up all morning to about 8 yet only had arround 2grams of carbs.

kellibabi

I had the same problem myself - so upsetting & annoying.
Been on slow release for about 2 years & doing MUCH better.

Fingers crossed it works for you too - if not, there WILL be an alternative - don't despair & keep your chin up! :thumbup:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
2g or carbs all day? lol what have you eaten?

joanne1968

Hi I'm on the slow release version - I take 1000mg in the evening, had an upset stomach for a couple of weeks but after that have been perfectly fine, maybe you should try it????

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hmm did go out for meal last night. Had burger well if you can call it that it had burger, pulled pork, brisket, monteray jack cheese and other stuff and a portion of skinny fries. It was at an american bbq pit style resteraunt . Called cockadoodlemoo it was fantastic I only ate 1/2 the burger bap and left some of the burger (pattie) its self but ate everything else including the sauces on it oh and some crispy chicken wings. So yesterday was not a low carb day lol

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
whompa73 said:
Hmm did go out for meal last night. Had burger well if you can call it that it had burger, pulled pork, brisket, monteray jack cheese and other stuff and a portion of skinny fries. It was at an american bbq pit style resteraunt . Called cockadoodlemoo it was fantastic I only ate 1/2 the burger bap and left some of the burger (pattie) its self but ate everything else including the sauces on it oh and some crispy chicken wings. So yesterday was not a low carb day lol

Sounds good, but way too rich for me, I would have suffered if I had eaten that.
(Probably puked tbh)
Don't get me wrong, hot spice, fat free curries, chilies, I can live on, but too much grease, and I'll be bad.