A cautionary tale.....

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
My sister in law got me some diabetic chocolate for crimbo....4 wee bars and a big bar....now i'd read that this stuff was little or no different to the real stuff, noticed carb content was still round the 50% mark, but says i "sure its christmas"...big mistake.

Nibbled away at the wee bars all morning and just before guests arrived for dinner had to visit toilet for first time :shock: ....this stuff was worse that industrial strength laxatives i was given prior to a barium enema about 6 months ago :( ....guts were rumbling like a volcano all through dinner and took about 5 visits to the loo for it to pass.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Eureka!, You've discovered polyols.
this family of sweet tasting chemicals is effective as a laxative. It won't harm you though unless you SERIOUSLY overdo it.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
If it contains sorbitol you'll run. even the slightest bit makes me go :evil: :cry:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear cameraman
Each polyol affects people differently. I'm not very sensitive to them at all. Sorbitol is mant to be the most effective.
They can be quite useful to low carbers, who have a tendency to the opposite problem.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
all i get with polyols is horrid wind but never runs :oops:

Sweet3x

It usually tells you on the packet to watch how much you eat, due to side effects.
I've always been told a small amount of regular chocolate, taken with some starchy carb, is much better for you. Diabetic chocolate doesn't contain that much less carbohydrate, can cause tummy problems, and encourages you to think you can eat lots of it, when you shouldn't. If you have a little bit of regular chocolate, you know you shouldn't so won't get used to the idea you can, it's tastier, nicer texture, and doesn't lead to embarrasing toilet visits.

ally5555

Ian - when I first qualified sorbitol was used as a laxative on the wards - say no more.

Also you could tell who was diabetic on the wards - they were always in the toilet!

Thirsty

Some people seem to be able to tolerate quite high levels of polyols but most people I've spoken to find they can cause quite severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

There's a list of the common ones at this Wiki link so you'll know what to look out for. As it says in the article, it is possible to develop tolerance over time but I'd say it isn't worth the pain.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Was unreal alright :( what i hadn't snaffled went straight into the bin.

Having lapsed terribly over xmas i've found that things i'd have expected to put me sky high haven't...full sugar drinks, crisps, chocolate... i have noticed an increase in average readings between this week and last....5.66 - 6.52....which cant be good, but my main culprits remain anything in batter, semi skimmed milk and any kind of bread, back to work, and my strict diet come monday :)

Trinkwasser

Some people seem to convert sugar alcohols into glucose, most people convert them into diarhhoea but it varies with the particular -ol and the person.

If you want chocolate try some 85%, the carb count is remarkably low and you don;t need to wear brown trousers to eat a square or two

Trinkwasser

The Governor said:
No but you do need to disable your tastebuds :D

Curiously, like a lot of other things, I've come to prefer the taste without the cloying sweetness. Without the sugar in particular and the carbs in general a lot of things seem to have more flavour.

Thirsty

trinkwasser, I wonder how common that is? I really wouldn't eat anything sugary now, even if I could, (and this from a man who used to survive on a diet of Mars Bars.) Yet, others seem to never lose their sweet tooths, anyone know why?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I'm the same ,Thirsty,I just don't like sweet things any more.Suits me fine.Tried some chocolate over the holidays but just didn't do anything for me.(Kept away from crisps though) :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sweet tooth has remained but is far more easily satisfied. I have an occasional apple or pear and by Ged they taste devine. I'm also partial to a bit of Fergus' sponge cake.

wiflib

The Governor

Trinkwasser said:
The Governor said:
No but you do need to disable your tastebuds :D

Curiously, like a lot of other things, I've come to prefer the taste without the cloying sweetness. Without the sugar in particular and the carbs in general a lot of things seem to have more flavour.

I like darker chocolate, but that Green & Blacks85% stuff was like eating a shoe :D

What is this Fergus Sponge Cake of what you speak wiflib :) ?

The Governor

sugarless sue said:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856&p=39463&hilit=sponge+cake#p39463

/mysogynist on/ I'm going to get my woman to make that for me /mysogynist off/

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
G&B 85% is the only chocolate for me now.
I love its bitter sweetness and have 2 squares every day.
My loving family bought me about a 6 month supply from Christmas :D

Happy new year to you all and I hope that those who fell off the wagon (like I did) manage to catch up with it and jump back on

cheers