Diverticulosis

Trevorden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
mazbee said:
Earlier today I had a colonoscopy, to see if my lower stomach pains, cramps, bloating and wind were more than Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The procedure confirmed I have Diverticulosis not IBS.
=====================================================================
Yes, I too had a colonoscopy recently. For those who have never "enjoyed" the experience, a small tube about 2 metres long is put up your behind and travels up the colon then horizontally across the body and then down on the other side where the large colon joins the small intestine. The tube contains a miniature camera, a hose to wash any matter out of the way of the camera, and several surgical tools that come out of the end when needed.
I was utterly amazed by this technology and I watched it all on the TV screen that the consultant uses to guide him through the procedure. He found and removed 8 polyps which thankfully turned out to be non-malignant.
I was sent to hospital for the colonoscopy by my GP who was concerned at my ongoing experience of alternating diarrhoea and constipation. During the preparation period (they offer a mild sedative injection and a painkilling injection) the nurse asked me why I was there and I explained my symptoms.
Her reply was interesting. She said "They are actually well known side effects of METFORMIN. Are you on that ?"
I replied that I was - four tabs a day. Others might care to watch out for those symptoms and see their GP if they occur.
A high-fibre diet can often ease symptoms of diverticular disease and paracetamol can be used to relieve pain – other painkillers such as aspirin or ibuprofen can cause stomach upsets in people with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis can be treated at home with antibiotics. More serious cases may need hospital treatment. Diverticular disease is essentially bulges in the wall of the large colon. Surgery to remove affected section of the intestine is sometimes recommended if there's a risk of serious complications, but this is rare. It is a western disease and a high fibre diet will usually help.

C

catherinecherub

meoman said:
but cant insoluble fibre irritate the DD?..

You can find articles on the web for and against taking flaxseed when you have gastro problems.

Read this article where it highlights the risks.

http://www.webmd.boots.com/vitamins-and ... s/flaxseed

When people recommend things they do not know your personal health history and it is best to ask your G.P. as there can be side effects with any medication or supplements that you are taking as well.

I was reading an article about a pregnant woman who was taking small doses of flaxseed and she became ill with a bowel obstruction. It does not suit all and sundry.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
What Are The Symptoms Of Diverticular Disease?
Most individuals with diverticular disease have no symptoms. Symptoms associated with diverticular disease include:

Urgent diarrhoea (due to intense colonic contractions or spasm)
Uncomfortable abdominal bloating (due to poorly co-ordinated contractions)
Cramping abdominal pain, especially on the left side
Constipation
Increased flatulence
Blood in the bowel motions
Take a look here
http://www.oxfordclinic.co.nz/compo...34-medical-conditions/65-diverticular-disease

mazbee

Thank you all who have posted and offered information, I will mow go and read up on the links you have posted.

Many thanks.

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mazbee... Thanks for raising the subject in the first place! There is a lot of information to digest. I didn't mention in my first post that I also take a macrogol preparation once a day, DULCOBALANCE, which I get on prescription. I find it excellent at keeping my system regular and moving - very rarely do I get any blockages now, since starting this. However, I still keep a supply of Augmentin AntiBiotics in the cupboard. Thankfully, only had two really painful, sick-making episodes in the last 3 months, both relieved by the Augmentin. Never seen the need to try flax in any shape or form.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cocacola...
Very many thanks for your link to the GutSense article, which I followed and read with great care.
My first reaction is that it is indeed an interesting concept to consider that we should in fact be taking in less fibre, but then I also think we should be fully aware that the article was written in America and primarily aimed at the American way of life more than our European Lifestyle. Also, the writer would appear to have a 'business' of his own to sell - he wants people to buy into his health programmes, so anything radically different is bound to appeal on some level.
I think I do however understand his theory that too much fibre can only cause more bulk which creates more difficulties for the digestive system and so lead on to constipation and the worsening of the 'Diverticulum Effect'. I don't wholeheartedly agree with his eventual supposition that laxatives and antibiotics taken to help relieve Diverticulitis actually worsen the case. I suspect that there is a middle ground somewhere. Besides a good healthy diet, which should ideally include minimally processed cereals, seeded wholemeal bread, fish, meat, vegetables and fruit, all in moderation, I am a firm believer in the benefit of the Macrogol family of drug free 'bowel looseners'(such as DulcoBalance), because essentially all they do is absorb moisture from the small intestine and carry it right through the gut, so softening the bowel contents, making them easier to pass without undue straining. That, together with a normal healthy diet, puts less tension into the gut and makes the formation of another diverticulum and the infection of current diverticula even less likely. I would agree with his suggestion that we should try to regularise our bowel emptying habits to a daily ritual, partly dictated by the natural feeling of post-eating bowel-inclination to evacuate itself, and never try to hang on for a more convenient time.
Keep the 'research' going... One day we might all get an answer we can be happy with.
Robin.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Robin, I found the article totally confusing and goes against what works for me.
If I lessened the amount of fibre I eat and not take bulking agents I would find it really difficult to stay regular.
After my last flare up it has left me with lack of sensation, where previously I had too much of urge for the loo.

meoman

other than colonoscopy confirmation theres been no hospital or doctor advise here either.. suggest you do some googling and get on some related web groups.. dont let them hold you back

bass drummer

meoman said:
other than colonoscopy confirmation theres been no hospital or doctor advise here either.. suggest you do some googling and get on some related web groups.. dont let them hold you back

I did thanks for the advice

robin100145

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bass drummer said:
bass drummer said:
I was diagnosed with this about 4 months ago and given no treatment what so ever! I was just told to "live with it" ! :crazy:
I was told to live with the divert.

That is a simply disgusting diagnosis... I would be complaining to my GP Surgery, or the local Healthcare Board or whatever, if that happened to me. On the one hand we are being told that this is an ever increasing 'Western Diet Problem' and here on the other hand, you are being dismissed as though it didn't matter... I hope you went out and got a second opinion.... I've just had to go into hospital for an operation to remove obstructions in my lower colon area; the hospital staff were most concerned about my Diabetes and also my Diverticulitis problem to the extent that they 'bumped' me to the start of the surgical list, so I could be better monitored.... Really good, conscientious care in the QA Hospital at Portsmouth.

susan manley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sarcasm, inconsiderate people,
i was firstly diagnosed with Diverticulitus some years ago after getting septosemia, then had pancretitus [not and alcoholic!!], had gall bladder removed and then developed type 2 diabetis.
Diet has worked for me but it did take a long time to get it right. I do low [NOT Nil] carbs and a general balanced diet. I have to be careful with high fibre foods as this always triggers the diver. and high fats will fare up the pancreas. However I do feel in control now and got my sugars average down to 6.2 with diet only.
Like Anna29 I do best with several light meals rather than 3 bigger ones

I drink boiled water [one coffee a day max] and avoid alcohol

Working for me