Brown Rice...

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have switched to brown rice, because it is said to be better for diabetes, but I cannot get on with it.
First of all, I have to cook it for a long time, like 50 minutes, and it is still feels like not cooked enough, and I do not like the texture and taste. :thumbdown:

How do you cook it?

I use about 40 gr for a portion (uncooked weight) but it seems uneconomical boiling the rice for such a long time.
Can it be cooked some other way?
Where do you get parboiled brown rice? Tesco has the "Easy Cook Brown rice", is that the same?

I do like rice, but this brown rice is just awful.Is there an alternative rice which is low GI?

Can cooked brown rice be frozen?

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
pr126 said:
I have switched to brown rice, because it is said to be better for diabetes, but I cannot get on with it.
First of all, I have to cook it for a long time, like 50 minutes, and it is still feels like not cooked enough, and I do not like the texture and taste. :thumbdown:

How do you cook it?

I use about 40 gr for a portion (uncooked weight) but it seems uneconomical boiling the rice for such a long time.
Where do you get parboiled brown rice? Tesco has the "Easy Cook Brown rice", is that the same?

I do like rice, but this brown rice is just awful.Is there an alternative rice which is low GI?

Hi pr126,

I switched to brown basmati rice. Sainsburys do a nice one, and Tilda's nice too (available in many supermarkets).
I cook it for 40 mins, and that's usually ok for me.

To cook: Measure out your required amount of rice, and add twice the volume of boiling water, (e.g. 1 cup of rice, to two cups of water) and a little salt to taste. Bring to a boil, give the rice a stir, then cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat right down to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 40 mins. Don't be tempted to lift the lid or stir it during this time - - turns out perfect every time.

I cook a big potful at once, and freeze it in portions. Freeze within an hour or two of cooking, once the rice is cool.

I bag the portions in suitable resealable freezer bags so that I can just heat a portion in the bag in the microwave for a minute or two - job done! Make sure that the rice is piping hot (steam coming off it) as there can be a problem with reheated rice (google it) - but saying that, I've been doing it for years and never had a problem yet.

Hope this helps

Reactions: lorraine95

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use brown basmati rice and cook it as fast boil for 20 mins and it is fine Asda does a nice brown basmati
CAROL

sparkyrich

I've grown to like brown rice, in fact I prefer it to white these days. True it's chewier but I find it's more satisfying when I have it with curries etc if I'm not having naans or chappatis

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies.

I think the best approach is to cook a batch, cool it and freeze it in portions as suggested.

Plus, I think that the freezing will further "tenderize" the rice.
Unfortunately, Tesco's in my town only has the one type brown rice. Maybe I need a closer look.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
pr126 said:

How do you cook it?

I havent tried brown rice for years as I didnt much like it, and like you I couldn't be bothered faffing about soaking and cooking it for so long....

Thankfully ordinary Basmati rice which I love and cooks in 15 to 20 minutes is the answer for me, I can eat a couple of spoonfuls and easily stay within my safe zone.

A dietician once told me that Basmati rice has a particular molecular structure that the human body finds near impossible to break down to glucose and that seems to be my finding as well.

I remember someone (phoenix perhaps) saying that it contains a particular chemical that is responsible for its relative kindness to bg levels.

I cant say what a plateful would do to my levels as I no longer eat those sorts of portions doled out in Indian and Chinese restaurants but a couple of spoonfuls I find plenty and am used to that size serving now after 4 plus years :)

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will ditch the brown rice all together and get the Basmati rice.
Since I eat only little portions of rice (40 gr) once or twice a month, it should not be too bad.

Thanks for all the input. :thumbup:

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Brown basmati for me in 2kg bags from my local asian supermarket.

Laila brand takes about 10 minutes to cook and costs a couple of quid.

Just boiled these days. I used to live with a Uganadan lass who introduced me to it cooked a different way.

Tablespoon of oil in a pan, gently fry an onion till soft then add garlic, ginger and peppers.

Just as the onion turns a slightly golden colour add a cup of rice. Fry on a gently heat for minute then add 3 cups of water. Boil for five minutes then pop a lid on, take of the heat and leave for ten minutes.

The problem is we would be eating curried goat, plantain spiced potatoes and home made flat breads and lots of it.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Come to think of it the groundnut stew wasn't exactly slimming either.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tilda do a Brown Basmati rice in their small pre prepared sachets including a wholegrain version (not stocked by some supermarkets). Also do a Wholegrain Pilau as well. All cook in 2 minutes in the microwave. A little more expensive but much less effort. Have tried them all and love them.

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Asda are doing the packets of tilda rice for a pound at the moment