Easybake low GI bread

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The CountryGrain Rye is more fibre and darker.. the Rye is lighter but slightly worse GI. I prefer to mix by hand and kneading only takes 3 minutes.. comes out better and more controllable than machine in my view.. wife likes the mixer as she paid out for it!..
You will find it by the flour .. they do 4 types including Ciabatta and Sunflower I think... The CountryGrain Rye best for bs.
I just baked this in my 'new' 2nd hand bread machine, it's not too bad, if a bit spongy, but unfortunately it's spiked me up to 10! :meh:

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I managed to get around to testing this very easy to bake bread mix from Lidl, Countrystyle Wheat/Rye Wholemeal Bread. It is one of 4 breadmixes at Lidl but I chose it because it has the highest wholegrain rye content.

This particular loaf has 68% wholemeal wheat flour, either type 1050 or type 1600 (German legal category), 24% wholemeal rye flour plus 8% dried rye sourdough, rye flour, barley malt, dried yeast, salt etc. Unlike UK law where wholemeal is not defined in the Bread and Flour Regulations 1998, german 1050 and 1600 wheat flour types are both products of and contain, the whole grain. They are darker strong bread flours and type 1600 gives a noticably darker bread crumb than type 1050 and is similar to this photo:

Schwarzbrot.jpg

The mix from Lidl is combined with water and can be baked in an oven or a breadmaker. I think this one uses type 1600 wholemeal as it is a very dark bread, the other having a slightly lower rye content and giving a brown crumb. That, I imagine is type 1050.

This bread works for me, after 4 slices my BG was lower after two hours than before, it fell from 5.7 to 5.2.

If hand baking it, let it prove for a longer time than the instructions, unless you have an especially warm place for it. As the main rising agent is from the dried sourdough already mixed in, it is slow to rise. In addition, neither wholemeal wheat nor rye give a very large rise. I gave it a 2 hour proving time, transferred to the baking tin and let it rise for another 2 hours. It is tasty and chewy. It needs to be baked in a tin as the dough will flow somewhat if put onto a tray.

Where can I buy this bread mix? I live in BC, Canada? there is nothing like this where I am. looks great! :) I love dark breads, and I always loved Danish rye bread, which I can no longer find.