Raging

linsay

I went to the local sport centre today to sign up to a class. It's 45mins discussion and 45mins activity. Great I thought. So I go in and get the induction weight height bp etc. Then she says so we need to be carefil if you have a hypo u must make sure you have your insulin with you in the gym????!!! I promptly corrected her! I dont understand why ppl think like this are they seriously gonna try work out how much insulin to dial up anyway??? Oh it just bugs my brains. Sorry for rant

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Elc1112

The gym I go to is the same. I signed up to this particular gym three years ago. Told them I was diabetic as part if the induction. I was told that I should always have my insulin on me in case my sugars were low. Staff at the gym, including the lady who dd my induction, were qualified. Like you, I corrected her and informed her that I always have dextrose or Lucozade on me I. Case my sugars were low. Also, that I had never needed assistance and, fingers crossed, I would always be able to handle a hypo myself without assistance from the team. She then asked if Lucozade was a good substitute for insulin. I left filled with confidence. On the plus side, it's a great gym! Have become more than a little addicted to some of the classes :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

linsay

Great that you like it and are enjoying the classes. I know its a bit scary. I absolutely understand that people get confused between hypee and hypo but I would not expect this from qualified gym instructors. I would have thoufht it was quite important for them to know about it. Perhaps im wrong!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app