metformin. can't do it anymore

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad they are changing you to the sr version. Don't put up with side effects. Dr's are too quickly prescribing the cheapest drug instead of the most appropriate.

I have quite severe irritable bowel syndrome, and have had lots of experiences like the one you mentioned. So don't be too embarrassed.
When I started on the metformin I anticipated lots of side effects, so I always make sure I take peppermint capsules with my meals. They can be costly, but they are excellent. I also take chewable acidophilus on a daily basis. Both supplements stopped me from having wind and the runs constantly during my worst IBS days.
I still get metformin side effects, but it's more nausea than anything else (and whilst dieting, I can live with the appetite reduction that feeling sick brings lol).

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok update time. I gave myself a full day off any metformin as my stomach felt yuck. So I started the sr version yesterday and my stomach is soooooooo much better but that being said I dont think it gives as good comtroll as normal met but atleast I dont feel as if I'm dreading the next dose . My bgs are higher but I did abuse myself food wise yesterday. And went over 10 a couple of times and on waking today im a 8 usually at 6 then rise to arround 7.5 after beeing up for 40 mins or so. I have also noticed the slight appetite decrease with standard met is no longer there. So will have to de having a conversation with dn

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
whompa73 said:
Ok update time. I gave myself a full day off any metformin as my stomach felt yuck. So I started the sr version yesterday and my stomach is soooooooo much better but that being said I dont think it gives as good comtroll as normal met but atleast I dont feel as if I'm dreading the next dose . My bgs are higher but I did abuse myself food wise yesterday. And went over 10 a couple of times and on waking today im a 8 usually at 6 then rise to arround 7.5 after beeing up for 40 mins or so. I have also noticed the slight appetite decrease with standard met is no longer there. So will have to de having a conversation with dn

Probably not a bad result if you skipped a day and ate the wrong food.
The morning level is no worse than mine used to be, it has got better now though.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Netty70 said:
Hi luceeloo
Do you find the peppermint and acidophilus work well as I have real bad bathroom issues also how much if you don't mind me asking :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

For me, they work great. The peppermint can vary a lot in price. The last lot I had were from Holland and Barrett and were around £12 for 120. But, I've bought them from Tesco before at about half that price... a brand called "Lamberts", but they don't always have them.
It's probably too much info, but I find that it calms the discomfort and, erm, urgency down.
Peppermint tea works in a similar way too (and twinings have just bought out a lovely Buttermint tea, which tastes like Murray Mints and seems to do my digestion some good).

Acidophilus is about £10 from Holland and Barrett. I have chewable ones and take one every morning. I started taking that long before the diabetes diagnosis, and to be honest, would hate to be without it now.

Netty70

Thanks Hun
Will have a look for the peppermint capsules can't stand tea ewwww
I have tried the acidophilus before my aunt recommended them but don't think they did anything for me
Might have to try again
Thank you

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Been to see the nurse this morning . Over raprimil (kind confused as since starting them my bp has gone up???). She askec how I was getting along with the new sr met. I said that I was taking them all at once reather than 1 3x per day because the pharmaciset was concerned that he thouhgt they shouldnt be taken like that and that when I read up om them I it siad they should preferably be taken 1ce pee day or spme circumstances 2c3 per day not 3x per day though . She looked at me quizically and got her book out and said oh hm yep take 1ce per day . I also told her o was having stomache with them and that if I thought the standard metformin where good for farting/gas that tney had nothing on these . Honestly I could fill a zepplin. So she put me down to 2 sr per day and said come back in 2 weeks . So lets see what happens now. I then asked at what hba1c I could come off them as she foratly said 53 . Sp I said I think my hba1c will be 38 to 42 so I will be able to come off them soon anyway . Oh no she sez , I dont think you will be able to controll by diet alone (grrrrrrrrrrr). I do have to admit though that I seem to be falling off the diet wagon for the past few days. I also seem to be pk before I eat but for arround 2 hours after I have eaten I am hungryer than at any other time I mean seriously hungry redicously hungry . Does this happen to anyone else

jobean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Mate, been there bought the T shirt, even on the SR version. After years of acid stomachs, and all the other symptoms, couldn't take it any longer and broke down in the docs.

I am now on 2 SR a day which I seem to be able to tolerate

There are alternatives, talk to your doc and insist on a meds review

Look after yourself x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm on two 500mg SR a day, in the evening.

I used to feel hungry, but I always did, which is why I weighed what I did, probably nothing to do with the medicine.

I bit the bullet, and just ate less.
I couldn't stomach the high fats, stomach upsets, bloated feeling, acid reflux, and living on beta blockers.

So "healthy" food, low calorie diet, and being hungry to start.

It is true, your stomach shrinks, I can't say I don't feel hungry sometimes.
But the weight loss. and the better stomach more than pay for it.

monster54

Hey all,

I hope you don't mind me invading. I don't have diabetes personally but my elderly father has. I could really do with some help and advice in respect to medications and approaches.

It has come to light several issues as a result of my Dad having a fall. He can't seem to control his bowels movements and also doesn't seem to be aware. After the fall I went to collect my Dad to take him to hospital. He was not in a good way.

He has become more and more of a recluse in the last year and I believe it is because of these toilet issues. He is controlling severly how much he is eating. Again I think this is fear.....

I know he should of sought help but I just think he is a proud, stubborn old man that was just coping with what he was given.

I am now speaking with the Dr direct. Social services have been involved now as his incontinence was clear on the hospital visit.

I am absoloutely devastated that my Dad appears to have been suffering in slience, but I am a novice. I know very little about diabetes and I hope you can share your advice with me and empower me to help him.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hello and welcome to the forum, your dad is very lucky to have such a terrific son, ive not heard of a conection to db and incontinence, my wifes gran (not db) has similar issues so will be watching and hoping you get some good advice i can piggyback, regarding the db id suggest having a read of the forum then asking any specific questions you have

best of luck

Andy

monster54

Thanks Andy....

I'm actually his daughter.... :lol: not the most femine of usernames I know!

I think it was the 'runs' that the OP was describing which was intriguing me. My Dad is taking Metformin 500mg, 2 tablets 3 times a day. Do I need to push with the GP for this to be changed?

What should I ask for? The GP is meeting with me on Friday to discuss this issue and the more research I'm doing I see this is quite a common problem with this medication?

I want to give my Dad his life back....I have a sickly feeling this medication might be the culprit!!

M x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the slow release (sr) version of metformin definatly seems to suit people who cant get along with the normal, but there are other drugs if met dosent suit him

sorry, best DAUGHTER! :)

monster54

Thanks Andy,

Home visit for blood tests failed to materialise today. So back on to the dr tomorrow.

I am so cross as the dr said he won't consider changing the medication until this blood test rules out anything else.

Frustrating!!

M x

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask the GP for Glucophage which is the slow release version of Metformin. It has stopped the incontinence problem for so many of us. If the GP refuses I personally would refuse to take Metformin which would force his arm to find an alternative. Hope it gets sorted for you.

monster54

Thanks madbazoo,

This is for my father so I don't know how much leverage I will have on my own.

But it's good to know what options I have and can press him on these alternatives. My dad is elderly and my concern of stopping the metformin is that it will cause more damage than holding on.

Back on the phone tomorrow! I am NOT letting this lie now!!

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just changed over to Glucophage SR 500 mg (1 per day) from the dreaded 2 Metformin daily, after complaining to the DN about the nasty side effects I had to put up with for months.

I think there is a marked improvement already in well being.

monster54

Thanks guys,

You all seem to be on a lot lower does than my dad should I question this?

He's on metformin 500mg 6 tablets a day? Will this hinder me getting the medication changed?

M x

Morganator

It might be an idea to discuss a Power of Attorney with your Dad. I hold one for my Mum and it means Drs etc have to listen to you and share information. It is a simple procedure.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

monster54

Thanks morganator,

I will have a look in to this. So far I've not had too much obstruction. Hopefully people can see I'm just trying to help him to have a quality of life.

He seems a lot brighter today and I can tell his memory is very much slipping so with the new tablet management I have put in place he is taking the correct dosages prescribed.

I fear with being in retirement and a lack of hobbies days are rolling in to each other and he is not keeping track of what he's taken.

My mission tomorrow is to get this DR to hear me and get this meds changed. I think when I tell him how my Dad is not eating for fear of his bowels movements he HAS to hear me.....

M x