Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Here's the answers to some of the questions:

- What is your name?
Gary Shaw

- How old are you?
Almost 41 (feel like a teenager saying that, lol)

- Are you male or female?
Male

- Diabetes status?
I'm a type 1 diabetic on insulin and have been since I was 13

- Which country are you from?
England

- Which city/area do you live in?
I live in South London

- Are you religious?
Weird that this question features so early....but no, I'm not religious at all

- Do you have any pets?
Two house cats

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I cycle

- Do you get angry easily?
I don't think so; less as I've gotten older

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
3 tattoo's (right shoulder, left wrist, left ankle), no piercings

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Far too many that I like, the favourites change all the time

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Pop / Dance

- What is your favourite flag?
I quite like the simplicity of the Japanese flag but I'm also a fan of Italy and their flag evokes lots of positive memories

- Ever gone camping?
Once, not really for me.

- Ever been in love?
Yup.

- Ever used fake tan?
Yup

- Which countries have you visited?
UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Ireland, France, Andorra, Vatican City, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Luxembourg, Maldives, Mexico, USA, Canada and India

- Favourite city?
Los Angeles

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Big Bang Theory, Question Time, The New Normal, 2 Broke Girls, Star Trek

- List your five favourite films.
Anything Star Trek, Loose Cannons, Toy Story 3

- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yup

- List the subjects you study/have studied.
English Literature

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here goes:
I'm Alastair Knox, a mere male youth at 70 years old; :lol:
I'm Northern Irish by birth but now live in Paisley, nr. Glasgow
I'm possibly boring, boring and boring - I have no pets at present but did have a hamster called Scamp many years ago :oops:
I'm have to say 'Microsoft' or anyone else except Apple;
I am an armchair sports fan - F1, rugby, football, cycling
I have a liking for nearly all types of music pop to classical with the exception of today's trendy 'screeching' that passes for singing;
Since I retired I have holidayed across Europe and North America, with my stand-out favourite city being San Francisco.
Am I wealthy? What a ridiculous question for a UK pensioner. :!:
More to be revealed in in my next chapter.

Kirsten14x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Kirsten Jacqueline Madeleine
- How old are you? 17
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Reading
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loud, bubbly, daydreamer
- Do you have any pets? 1 cat (Lily Mae)
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple if it wasn't so expensive
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Ice skating
- Do you get angry easily? ...yeah
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Doubles on both ears
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. McFly, The Vamps, The Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay, Two Door Cinema Club
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop/rock/indie
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Once
- Ever been in love? No
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Spain,
Tunisia, USA, France, Belgium, Germany
- Favourite city? London/Frankfürt a. Main
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Doc Martin, Miranda, Who Do You Think You Are, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Call The Midwife
- List your five favourite films. How to train your dragon, Tangled, Brave, The Help, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, shop assistant
- List the subjects you study/have studied. History, English language, Philosophy and Ethics & French
- What do you like most about yourself? Bubbles
- What do you like least about yourself? Short temper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 814
Dislikes
Wouldn't fit in here

Hi! My name is Cristian. I'm 28, male. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I've been a DT1 since I was 6. Got to the hospital with 829 mg/dl. I use Insulin shots (currently Novo Nordisk's Levemir). I have a good resistance for low or high levels (talkin´under 21 mg/dl and above 500 mg/dl -- of course this are not usual levels, happened a few times). Last Hb1ac gave 6.1.

I am very-very shy, a dreamer, Ok, I'm Pisces. I don't have any pets currently, but I'd prefer cats to any other.
I use Apple now (had PCs and Windows for 12 years, it was enough). I used to be a good goalkeeper, but I don't do any sports now, just Gym three times a week and some jogging maybe.

Might get irritated sometimes, yes, I don't have tattoos or piercings.

I LOVE MUSIC, in fact for me, playing the guitar is the only activity that would change any mood into a good mood easily. The Beatles is the best group in the world for me. Besides that I like pretty much everything about the 60's, 90's and the 80's one-hit-wonders.

I am a Graphic Designer. I speak spanish, english, I little bit of french and a little bit of portuguese.
I don't use fake tan; went camping once; love french fries and asado, used to love Coca-Cola Light but I've been able to quit without using AA's 12 steps; been to Brazil and Uruguay, love the beach; I use a trench when it rains; I'm not wealthy (though our president said so recently…) but i'm very happy; have a special person in my life whom I love, been living together for 7 years now; so do I love my brother and my sister.

-- I'm glad I found this place to share experiences with others, to be able to help and get help! Let's get started!!

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Chapter 2:
No, I don't get angry easily but when I do ...
Tattoo or piercings: No
Favourite bands/musicians: Moody Blues (very under-rated band in the UK); Queen; Dire Straits, U2, Bon Jovi, Cold-play, Snow Patrol, Jean-Michel Jarre, and for individuals, I've got to include Sinatra, Josh Groban, Noah Stewart, Rod Stewart, Adele,
Favourite Flag? Northern Ireland ! (where I was born)
Fake Tan? No
Countries visited: Most major European, USA, Canada
TV programmes: Pointless, HIGNFY, won't mention the soaps, River City (Scotland), News, Merlin (when it was on);
Films: The Magnificent 7 (one of the best films ever made); The Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty;
Work? Don't be silly - I'm retired! but in a previous life - Chartered Civil Engineer and University Lecturer
Like most - Fair-minded
Like least - my nose
Here endeth the story for now :yawn:

walshaw

Hi my name is karen, i`m a christian 8) , i am married with a fab husband simon, 3 kids lottie who`s 19, sam who`s 18 and tom who`s 15, 3 horses, 6 cats and 2 dogs :crazy: .
i am 47yrs old on the outside and 16 on the inside :lol:
i have and still am really struggling to come to terms with my diabetes-have no idea why!! i am a bit rebellious at times and i certainly have been rebellious with my diabetes. but i am SLOWLY realizing that i need to take it on board that i have been diagnosed with diabetes and to take it seriously-hence why i have joined this forum, with the hope that you guys will help and support me in my journey :)
i live in the lake district -born and bred!!
the best three words to describe me .....i think!! are
crazy, passionate, loving oh and confused.com!!
I love my horses and compete and hack out on them with my daughter lottie. im very lazy with other activities im afraid.that`s probably it about me. :D

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,
I'm Ian and not just new to this forum but new to joining any kind of forum, so please be patient. I am male which you probably gathered and 66 years old (that was difficult). I am from Chelmsford (England) and diagnosed 6 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. I had quite serious DKA (my blood glucose was 27mmol/L on admission) and spent 5 days in hospital. I was one of those people (e.g. Theresa May) originally diagnosed with Type 2 and put on Metformin. My GP said go away and come back in 3 months for a second blood test and we'll see how the pills are working. But, not surprisingly I just got worse until my wife forced me to visit my GP again who for the first time tested my blood glucose on a meter and immediately called for an ambulance which took me to hospital. I just wished they had used a meter earlier. Although I am grateful to my GP for referring me, I am perhaps more grateful to my wife.
By the way I am retired so have more time on my hands to manage my diabetes. I was diagnosed in March 2013 and introduced to carb counting. I take Novorapid for bolus injections 3 times daily and Levemir before bed. My DNs' say I am doing well and my first ever HbA1c was 7.6 but I'm hoping to better that next time. I do have one problem which is high BG readings before bedtime. My DN says I have to move around more to get the insulin to work more effectively but does this mean I can never relax!!
That's about it for now. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks everyone, nice meeting you all.

sinvogue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? sinvogue
- How old are you? 70
- Are you male or female?Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? St Albans
- Are you religious? no
- Pick three words to describe your personality Cranky old man
- Do you have any pets? koi carp
- Microsoft or Apple? mic
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Golf
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? no
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. none
-
What would you say your favourite music genre is Classics?
- What is your favourite flag?St George
- Ever gone camping?yes
- Ever been in love?still am
- Ever used fake tan?no
- Which countries have you visited?Cuba.mexico.australia. singapore. and most of Europe
- Favourite city? Havana
- Are you wealthy?no
- Do you work? If so, as what? retired
- List the subjects you study/have studied.How not to study
- What do you like most about yourself?every thing
- What do you like least about yourself?
being broke

Have fun!

Leslie1757

Hi l'm Les new this forum some personal stuff l'm a 56 yr old Afro Caribbean man and a type 2 diabetic i like politics, music,particularly
80's jazzfunk ,R&B house and garage. I've been a diabetic for close on 10yrs and i'm still struggling with my weight and blood gloucose levels, i'm also on insulin and i have toxic relationship with food.I'd love to hear from anybody in a similar state.

jackyridley

Hi folks - I am a retired research librarian currently living in Canada although I was born in the UK - Portsmouth to be precise. I am an 'online junkie' and spend most of my day on the Internet [Facebook anyone?]. An animal lover and a 'near-vegan' I have three dogs and three cats and would have more if my husband would let me! I like all kinds of music from Soul to Opera but I'm afraid 'country' and 'RAP' leaves me with a headache. Eminem is OK sometimes even though he does sound like a carbohydrate overloaded chocolate candy. I was diagnosed with Type II about 5-6 years ago and must admit that I've been a little blase with it. I've cheated a lot and since my disease was always well controlled with Metformin I felt free to indulge in chocolate bars, cake and ice-cream once in a while [in 'reasonable' moderation - I thought ...]. Admittedly I have been mostly in denial I would say and doctors are not much help here - they mostly renew your prescription, tickle your feet once in while and send you on your way. I had one meeting with a nutritionist who talked about meal substitutions i.e. one carb for one protein or some such gobbledygook that I couldn't really understand but was too arrogant to say so. However, despite myself and my willful ignorance I've managed to keep my blood glucose levels in reasonable shape until recently when I went for an annual eye test and got a big shock! They found what they called 'Diabetic changes' in one eye together with a cataract. I was shocked rigid. Here I was, sailing along, mostly ignoring my condition when it suddenly got real. In something of a panic I have now reverted to a 'good' diet - I think. My problem is as a near-vegan [I still eat free-range eggs and honey] it's hard to come up with meal ideas that will also feed my family. I don't want to have to cook several meals at once - one for me and another for the family - I want to make good satisfying food that will be tasty and nutritious for all of us. I can live without cake and ice-cream but potatoes are my big weakness. Does anyone have a vegan meal plan that is not just lettuce and beans? My husband and son [also vegan] are big guys - 'meat substitute' and potatoes types ;o) I'm wondering if I just make my regular meals but cut them in half for me - is that a plan? Any advice welcome - cheers

mummy78

Hi everyone! I'm Arianna. 35, from Italy. At the moment, I'm a full-time mother of two little "angels".

I'm at your beck and call if you need advices about diabetes 1 and pregnancy =)

Something more about me

- Which city/area do you live in? Rome

- Are you religious? no

- Pick three words to describe your personality: rational, joyful, inquiring

- Do you have any pets? cat

- Microsoft or Apple? both of them

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Hiking (and travelling and reading :D )

- Do you get angry easily? I have a very strong sense of justice so... :twisted:

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? yes, a quite big samurai on my right leg

- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Katzenjammer, Chopin, Queen, Kane
-
What would you say your favourite music genre is? So many...

- What is your favourite flag? I'm not so patriotic so flags don't make much sense to me :D

- Ever gone camping? yes

- Ever been in love? of course

- Ever used fake tan? No. I like my pallor :lol:

- Which countries have you visited? most of Europe, Argentina, Japan, Mexico

- Favourite city? Rome is stunning but London and Buenos Aires are better cities to live in

- List your five favourite TV programmes: BBC period dramas, Sherlock and many tv series

- List your five favourite films: I like Michel Gondry's movies, Woody Allen and a few Italian movies as Mediterraneo and La vita è bella.

- Are you wealthy? middle-upper class

- Do you work? If so, as what? At the moment, I'm a full-time (happy) mother :)

- List the subjects you study/have studied. Marketing, latin. greek, italian literature

- What do you like most about yourself? No idea :)

- What do you like least about yourself? Not so many things after all :D

ray white

Giverny said:
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? ray
- How old are you?64
- Are you male or female?m
- Which country are you from?uk
- Which city/area do you live in? yorkshire
- Are you religious? :think:
- Pick three words to describe your personality. outgoing ,friendly, sports fan
- Do you have any pets?no
- Microsoft or Apple? microcrap
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?none
- Do you get angry easily?no
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?no
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.queen,eagles,stones :p
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? rock
- What is your favourite flag? skull and crossbones :twisted: :twisted:
- Ever gone camping? yes :thumbdown:
- Ever been in love?yes
- Ever used fake tan?no
- Which countries have you visited? a lot
- Favourite city? London
- List your five favourite TV programmes. sky sports
- List your five favourite films. 2001 ce3k, matrix
- Are you wealthy? mmm :crazy:
- Do you work? If so, as what?no :thumbup:
- List the subjects you study/have studied. a lot :oops: :roll:
- What do you like most about yourself?my warped sense of humour :oops: :crazy: :***:
my belly lol :lol: :lol:

Have fun!

Dislikes
Hypocrisy
- What is your name? Ana
- How old are you? 27
- Which country are you from? United Kingdom
- Which city/area do you live in? London
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Eccentric, Cynical, Happy :D
- Do you have any pets? Guinea Pig, Rabbits, Dog , Hamster
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Running
- Do you get angry easily? No, Only When Hypo :lol:
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Ears, Naval
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Too many to name!
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock, Metal, etc
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack of course! :D
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Favourite city? London
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Big Bang Theory , Csi's , True Crime stuff
- List your five favourite films. Too many! I'm a movie addict
- Are you wealthy? :( Not yet
- Do you work? If so, as what? Office
- What do you like most about yourself? My personality and Genuineness
- What do you like least about yourself? Diabetes! :roll:

Wyoming_Rain

Oh, now, I don't have the money to warrantee other peoples' monitors, so I'll keep my picture out of this :)

- What is your name?

I'm Sharon

- How old are you?

49, for another month or so.

Female

Canada

Lethbridge, Alberta

- Are you religious?

I used to be, I'm more of a spiritual person now, than religious.

- Pick three words to describe your personality.

Artistic, Expressive, Caring

- Do you have any pets?

Alexander Franklin James, one of the premiere American train robbers, the brother of Jesse James

- Microsoft or Apple?

Microsoft, but I do like what Apple can do, as well!

I love to swim, used to be quite the walker, as well. Former did a good bit of mixed martial arts.

If there's just cause, I can. Always my effort to see the true meaning of things, first.

Let's not mention that, other than that I have pierced ears :)

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, Nickelback

There's no easy answer to that :)

The flag of the State of Wyoming!

- Ever gone camping?

I used to camp through the summer, or most of it, most years. Someday, I hope to be able to do that again!

- Ever been in love?

Yes, indeed, I have been.

- Ever used fake tan?

Nope, but, I did gain an extreme love of tanning beds, for a number of years.

A great many, the greatest trip I had, visiting another country, was on a visit to Jordan.

- Favourite city?

Of all time? I'd have to say it would be Athens, Greece.

The Simpsons, Are You Being Served?, Moonshiners, Law & Order (any series of it), NCIS

The Sound of Music, Grease, M*A*S*H*, The Color Purple, With Six You Get Eggroll.

- Are you wealthy?

No. Definitely not.

I'm disabled, I used to be a silk finisher/presser in a dry cleaners.

English, English Lit, Music, French, Social Studies/History, General Science, Math, Psychology, Astronomy, Choir.

- What do you like most about yourself?

I am a caring person.

My brain damage, resulting from a vehicle/pedestrian accident, and the continual decline of my brain function aand physical ability after that day.

yuroff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Giverny said:

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?
- What do you like most about yourself?

Have fun!

sineadk

Include a photo here if you wish to. I tried, don't know if it worked LOL
- What is your name? Sinead
- How old are you? 40
- Which country are you from? Ireland but live in Germany
- Which city/area do you live in? Sasel in Hamburg
- Are you religious? Nope
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Impulsive, kind, obsessive
- Do you have any pets? Nope
- Microsoft or Apple? Both, we have both because I have worked for Apple and my hubby still does
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I used to play hockey
- Do you get angry easily? Not at all
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? I have pierced ears and have a tatoo of a red rose on my back up the top
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Justin Bieber LOL. Seriously though I like all sorts of music expecially rock
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? The irish flag of course ;-)
- Ever gone camping? Yeah I was frozen
- Ever been in love? Yes still am
- Ever used fake tan? Yes and it looked good
- Which countries have you visited? US, Germany, Ireland, Britain, Canada, Switzerland, France, Austria, Portugal, Gran Canarys
- Favourite city? Hamburg
- List your five favourite TV programmes. CSI VEgas, Bones, Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU, Mrs Brownes boys
- List your five favourite films. Independance day, Twilight collection, Harry Potter Collection, The Hunger Games, The Matrix
- Are you wealthy? Poor like a church mouse ;-)
- Do you work? If so, as what? Not at the moment, hoping to get back next year
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Secretarial studies, Hotel management studies
- What do you like most about yourself? My eyes
- What do you like least about yourself? Being overweight

Attachments

• Waynespicofme.jpg
    Waynespicofme.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 813