Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabetes?

Slidge

I got friends who bang on about Holistic medicines and how eating organic foods can cure it.
Does my head in.
Both myself and my Husband have Diabetes. He is T1, I am T2. He has been diabetic since 1989 and me, just 1 year. I kept jokingly telling him I needed a short dose of it to lose a bit of weight. :yawn:

SewK8

This is a good thread and nice to see how others deal with silly comments.
What I find really, really annoying is when a hypo is classed as a fit! Tv progs do it a lot and having a fit is nota hypo!

Argh!

I feel so much better now for saying that! Lol

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
The worst remarks come from doctors and nurses:

"The cake you ate caused you to have a hypo" (G,P who went on to explain that my body then produced more insulin to counteract the fast acting carbohydrate which caused rebound low blood sugar--I have been type 1 for 52 years so if my body is now producing insulin does that mean I am cured?)

Diabetes nurse who told me to go on GI diet--looked it up and discovered that it is the diet I have used for over half a century!!

Diabetes nurse re same hypo: her advice was that the fat in the cake I ate with evening meal stopped gulcose being absorbed (as I understand it only as much as protein in meal slows metabolism of carbohydrate--). Does this mean I can, after 52 years, stop multiple insulin injections and instead eat fatty food (Macdonalds here I come) instead to stop glucose being absorbed--WHOOPEE--thank God for all the research they do now!!!!

1 QUESTION---who is confused? Me or GP & diabetes nurse?!!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Another classic was (diabetes nurse), after a succession of high blood sugars in morning after a hospital refused to let me have levemir injection at bedtime: have less bedtime levemir as it looks as though you it would lower your morning tests--she was sitting with test chart in front of her which showed insulin doses also. Dared not talk about Dawn Phenomenon with her as I felt things would have got even more confusing!!!!!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My current peeve is a long series of facebook messages from a well meaning friend who informs me that metformin is a terribly dangerous drug that is doing all kinds of terrible things to my body, that I should stop taking all non natural remedies and start taking berberine instead as that will cure me. All backed up by a load of psuedoscience and selective evidence. Unsurpisingly this from possibly the most unhealthy person I know.

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
most annoying , people that don't have diabeties and don't understand what your going through

mummy78

Re: R: Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabet

Talking about natural cures + diabetes 1 drives me completely crazy.
I agree in using (or at least in trying to use) a natural remedy for, example, a tolerable allergic rash, but suggesting such cures for diabetes is nearly criminal, in my opinion.

~ Arianna ~

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with natural cures is you have no idea whats really in them, the quality is very rarely subject to the controls that are mandatory for pharmaceuticals, and in fact many pharms are in fact derived from natural products anyway. Finally just because its natural does not mean its going to do you any good.

mummy78

Thommothebear said:
The problem with natural cures is you have no idea whats really in them, the quality is very rarely subject to the controls that are mandatory for pharmaceuticals, and in fact many pharms are in fact derived from natural products anyway. Finally just because its natural does not mean its going to do you any good.

Totally agree. Moreover, at the moment, except for a miracle (I don't believe in miracles :) ) no "herb" can replace insulin when you really need it. People who say the opposite are deeply ignorant or in bad faith. Or both :)

~ Arianna ~

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

mummy78 said:
I agree in using (or at least in trying to use) a natural remedy for, example, a tolerable allergic rash, but suggesting such cures for diabetes is nearly criminal, in my opinion.

~ Arianna ~

That's a good point you have made Arianna, unless there is a cure (and I'm sure and pray there will be one day) 'natural/herbal will not make my long time deceased pancreas work!!

All the best RRB

mummy78

Robinredbreast said:
mummy78 said:

~ Arianna ~

That's a good point you have made Arianna, unless there is a cure (and I'm sure and pray there will be one day)!!

All the best RRB

I'm pretty sure about it too :)

~ Arianna ~

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crude oil is a 100% totally natural and organic vegetable product and therefore presumably OK for lots of natural remedies. keeps you regular too I suspect.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yorksman said:
Crude oil is a 100% totally natural and organic vegetable product and therefore presumably OK for lots of natural remedies. keeps you regular too I suspect.

I once found myself reminding someone (who was getting unbelievably intense about the need to eat/use/promote only organic products) that asbestos was about as "natural" a product as you could get.

coco4

I soo agree with you DanielBail. Oh to go out for a meal on the spur of the moment without thinking where can I test? How many carbs are in the food? How much insulin do I need and will I be ok to inject at the table? I don't want to have to manage 24/7 forevermore. Regards x

Liz King

I agree that the most annoying misconception, is that you are only diabetic because you are overweight and a sloth!!! I was diagonised as a type 1 in my teens - and I was slim and fit!! This misconception is constantly reinforced via the media - last week "trust me I'm a doctor" discussed BMI and stated that heavy/overweigth etc get diabetes!!! I don't believe its too much to ask for such a program to make a distinction!!

Secondly, are those you claim I cant eat any sugar and that insulin prevents/recovers hypos - so dangerous especially among those working in the exercise industry!

Thirdly, its the general, every day grind of testing, meal times, calculating impact of activity etc etc , constant planning, and all those unexplained highs and lows and there is never a day or even an hour off. I suppose this is what makes us strong, though we dont get any recognition for it!

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I find 'politically correct' diabetics annoying. People always looking for an angle to take offence at something. Those and the 'demanding' people. I have diabetes so I'm going to be indignant and insist on being treated differently rather than get on with things and look after theirselves. Thankfully I know only a couple of these people. :)

Terrible spelling and grammar annoy me. But I can live with that :)

I like people who treat me no different to anyone else. I enjoy banter and stuff and am big enough to be able to take a joke and give one back.

Peace and good health to you all.

Keep well.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People who say "You don't look like a diabetic"
Not sure what to make of that really.

And people who say "Oh my great aunt, second cousin twice removed ,Ex brother in law (or something similar) is diabetic" The only answer to that one is "oh really"

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
It doesn't bother me what people say about diabetics any more than it bothers me what they say about people having blue eyes.