symptoms

cris07

was just wondering anybody who had symptoms prior to being diagnosed like urination hunger dry mouth tingling blurred vision, if when they got medication the symptoms went away....and when they were having the symptoms were they happening every day?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I had the complete set i.e. thirst, going to the loo frequently, blurred vision but no tingling or hunger. These were 'permanent'. Only a low-carb diet and portion control will really help reduce the very high blood sugar these symptoms imply. Tablets will help but usually rely on diet (and exercise) for the main effect.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Yep and more besides and yes most of the symptoms went away or were alleviated after bringing bgs down . Its the bringing down of bgs that stop the symptoms and not the medication its self that only realy works to bring the bgs down and vicariously helps the symptoms. I still tend to wee quite a lot but no where near os often as pre diagnosis. And yes it was every day infact it was arround every 20 mins whether I was trying to sleep or not . It wasnt a pleasent time

cris07

any idea how high the sugar readings normally are for these symptoms to be present? are they usually p[retty high? cheers.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I responded to you last week and described my symptoms. My blood sugar was in the 30s at diagnosis. I know someone who was diagnosed Type 2 with a blood sugar of 49.

At my last check up with the Consultant I asked what levels blood sugar levels a non-diabetic person would reach if they ate a pudding like Banoffee Pie. The answer was if some non-diabetic people eat a very sweet pudding they can have a blood sugar of 11 at 2 hours. He couldn't give me an answer for blood sugar level at one hour.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Generally anything in the high 20s upwards is bad news. Even high teens if continuous can cause these symptoms e.g. the kidneys dump sugar above a sugar level of around 11 mmol.

Ambersilva, ref the consultants comments, NHS professionals often quote 11 mmol as a limit it's OK to reach after 2 hours. Many would disagree with this including NICE (see their Diabetes Guidelines on the web). Generally 8.5 is taken as an acceptable upper limit after 2 hours. Much above that and you are probably diabetic!

cris07

the most iv had after two hours is 6.8 but im having the exact diabetic symptoms which is just making me ask if youd get such symptoms if your readings wernt going above 10 ish sorry if im repeating myself just trying to get sum info really appreciate any help and thanx for your responses.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daibell said:
Ambersilva, ref the consultants comments, NHS professionals often quote 11 mmol as a limit it's OK to reach after 2 hours. Many would disagree with this including NICE (see their Diabetes Guidelines on the web). Generally 8.5 is taken as an acceptable upper limit after 2 hours. Much above that and you are probably diabetic!

Daibell,

I was specifically asking him about non-diabetics and his response did surprise me. I shall have to indulge my non-diabetic friends but only for research reasons.

Scardoc

Cris07 - your profile says you were diagnosed 1 year ago but also that you're "not diabetic", assuming that's correct and your having these symptoms then you should really be making an appointment with your GP.

cris07

no i havnt been diagnosed i dont no why that is there, iv bin to my gp and he did a 3 month test which was 5.1 i think, but the reason im asking these questions is i have done some monitering at home and have noticed some higher results and was wondering how high readings had to be 'normally' for these symptoms to be related to diabetes. I guess what im asking is if i get a home kit again and take some readings can i conclude from those readings whether this is causing my symptoms or not? or if im going the way of becoming diabetic. im sorry to ask these questions but as everyone knows it kills you when your getting things going wrong and you dont no what it is! i just want to find out one way or the other.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you test yourself (without a firm diagnosis from the GP) then you may be worrying yourself without good reason. Test your fasting BS in a morning before you eat or drink and that will give you a guide. The best test for a diabetic is the HbA1c which can only be done by your GP sending a blood sample to the lab for testing. This will give you an average reading over the last 3 months and so avoids the highs and lows of self testing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App