Hubby just returned from appt .... he's not happy!

CAD

Hi I wondered if you could give me some advice please. My husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on 1st November 2011. He was admitted to hospital where his blood readings were so high they were 'off the dial'. He was injecting insulin 4 times a day. Since then he has worked really hard, managing his diet and taking up regular exercise (he's just about to take part in his 2nd 10k road race). He is now fitter and healthier than he has been in years, he has had his diabetes diagnosis changed to type 2 and is no longer taking any insulin at all, he is managing with diet alone. He has just been for a medication review and the nurse (not a diabetes nurse), has taken all medication off his repeat prescription, but has also cut his allocation of testing strips to 1 box a month. This will mean that he can test his sugar levels 1.5 times a day! He has managed so well because he has always checked his sugar levels regularly (3 times a day most days) and this means that he will no longer be able to do this. He feels that he is being penalised for looking after his health and making the effort to help himself. If he had not done this then he would still be 'costing' the NHS insulin, hypo gel etc. Do you think that it's unreasonable to expect enough testing strips to be able to test at least twice a day, although he would be happier with 3 times? It would be great to get some opinions? Many thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
firstly well done him, you should be proud!

secondly yes of course, its a bloody liberty and totally insane

best of luck!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and now i think about it, well done them for the misdiagnosis with everything that goes along with that

this needs to be moved into the GRRRRRRRR thread

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
For me I find testing essential as it keeps me honest on the diet front and seeing tight controll encourages me to stay the course. I am still a relitive newbie although I do consider my self quite well educated about it now thanks to the forum and dr bernstein books. I do get them prescribed but I do also self fund a spair and over the last 2 months have paid for around 150 strips myself . I figure if my dr thinks im useing them willy nilly then he will restrict them . Only by education via the forum and usage of the meter have I managed to go from dangerously high to bgs most veterans would envy. I would also bypass her and go through the gp and point out the fact that he was so bad at one point that they thought him type 1 and through hard work and eating to the meter he has worked miricals .

CAD

whompa73 said:
For me I find testing essential as it keeps me honest on the diet front and seeing tight controll encourages me to stay the course. I am still a relitive newbie although I do consider my self quite well educated about it now thanks to the forum and dr bernstein books. I do get them prescribed but I do also self fund a spair and over the last 2 months have paid for around 150 strips myself . I figure if my dr thinks im useing them willy nilly then he will restrict them . Only by education via the forum and usage of the meter have I managed to go from dangerously high to bgs most veterans would envy. I would also bypass her and go through the gp and point out the fact that he was so bad at one point that they thought him type 1 and through hard work and eating to the meter he has worked miricals .
Thank you, he's going to make an appointment with his GP and send an email to the practice manager on Monday :)

goslow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cad,

Our CCG issued guidance to surgeries on when Type 2s CAN have strips and they are:- "Those on sulphonylureas who drive; At times of intercurrent illness or during steroid usage on the advice of a healthcare professional; In cases of recurrent hypoglycaemia or suspected unrecognised symptoms of hypoglycaemia; If individual patients wish to use it to assist with lifestyle changes and last if oral hypoglycaemic agents are to be titrated up using fasting glucose".

I got the info straight from a practice and no doubt your doc will have been told much the same.

Seems you have a good case for quoting the lifestyle change as a reason for being prescribed strips.

If you have to buy strips Abbott sell strips direct to the public for their Freestyle Lite although I dont know the price. Diabetes UK also sell them at £16.99 for 50 but you probably have to add postage.

The very Best of luck - you deserve it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have this type of "discussion" with my GP at every review and occasionally I get strips It is very frustrating when we know that it is the testing that helps to keep our BGs low NHS do not do preventative medicine they prefer to pay out when we are in need of expensive meds Keep trying with the GP ,because your husband has been on insulin you may have a chance. I have to buy strips and always used e-bay with no problems but the I bought a codefree meter ( GOOGLE IT) because the strips are very cheap and it seems to work ok
CAROL

CAD

Thanks everyone, he has an acknowledgement of his email and will get a full response within 10 working days, so I'll keep you posted :)