Intense concentration

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Yesterday, at work, I had to finish a report rather quickly, under pressure and it involved around 3 hours of intense concentration without pause. I didn't give a second thought to my blood sugar , but on completion my BS was 2.9 mmol. The last check I performed, prior to this was around 5.5 mmol.

I've read in various books that intense brain usage can lower blood sugar but this is the first time i've experienced it. Couldn't find any further references to it on the web. With winter coming my outdoor activity/exercise will certainly reduce , so 'brain power' may be a useful blood sugar lowering tactic. Anyone else experience this?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes! If in heavily involved in something my BG can plummet

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I really can't say I've noticed intense concentration lowering bg, in fact it has the opposite effect on me. I've been attending a course for work every Monday over the last 5 weeks and at the start my bg were heading skywards on the day, it's only in the last two weeks that I've managed to get my insulin right to compensate :(

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't make an difference to my levels, we're all different though (or maybe I just don't work hard enough).

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also noticed that my blood sugar goes down if I'm concentrating hard. Part of the problem is of course that I notice tha fall later than I would normally because my brain is otherwise occupied. I would agree though that everyone is different.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cp1943 said:
I've also noticed that my blood sugar goes down if I'm concentrating hard. Part of the problem is of course that I notice tha fall later than I would normally because my brain is otherwise occupied. I would agree though that everyone is different.

Yes concentrating is when I don't notice the hypo until later. I only realise because I get frustrated and remind myself to check.

When I've got a big meeting coming up I have a small snack to keep me going through it!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The brain uses a lot of glucose so anything that requires a lot of concentration can burn sugars very quickly - my brain seems to work flat out in supermarkets as this is normally when I hypo, always good to take breaks and test levels regularly.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps someone could verify but my understanding is that your brain can't store glucose but needs a constant supply of certain levels, which why when hypo, can lead to problems. So in theory ouf your brain is working harder for an extended period of time "could" cause a fast drop in levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
Perhaps someone could verify but my understanding is that your brain can't store glucose but needs a constant supply of certain levels, which why when hypo, can lead to problems. So in theory ouf your brain is working harder for an extended period of time "could" cause a fast drop in levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I don't know if it's true or not but it certainly sounds feasible

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well, I have found that if I spend a day of hard physical exercise, then my bg falls to low 4's but is kept here by liver dumping glycogen into my system, but if I have a hard days mental workouts then it drops to high 3s but I don't get the same corrective action so i need to keep carbs with me at my desk.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends.
If I'm concentrating and calm about it then my levels fall, if I'm concentrating but it's stressful then they rise.
eg I don't like long car journeys , in cars I concentrate on the road intensly, both when driving and as a passenger. If traffic or weather conditions become difficult my levels rise very quickly.
If I'm playing the piano, I also concentrate intensely , normally my levels fall. If I'm learning a piece, it can go either way :lol: