Getting annoyed with my pump

sweetjames

Hi All,

I've been on a medtronic pump for almost 2 years now. It's becoming a bit of an annoyance. I feel it's a physical and mental 'intimacy' barrier at night. Does anyone else feel like this sometimes? I like the pump, but don't like it. :eh:

I'm thinking of having a 'pump' holiday and going back to injecting for a few weeks to experience life without a pump to see the difference again.

Any thoughts?

mummy78

Re: R: Getting annoyed with my pump

sweetjames said:
Hi All,

I've been on a medtronic pump for almost 2 years now. It's becoming a bit of an annoyance. I feel it's a physical and mental 'intimacy' barrier at night. Does anyone else feel like this sometimes? I like the pump, but don't like it. :eh:

I'm thinking of having a 'pump' holiday and going back to injecting for a few weeks to experience life without a pump to see the difference again.

Any thoughts?

I've been on a medtronic pump for almost 5 years and I like it :)
I can understand your feeling anyway and I agree that maybe a sort of "holiday" can help you to understand better your situation (but ask your consultant first :) )

Honestly I feel good with my insulin pump also because I have a commited relationship (married :) ) and I love cycling or hiking but not swimming, for example, so I can manage the pump well and with no stress.

Otherwise would be more difficult. I also understand you when you say that's it's a sort of "barrier" at night . Personally I see it just like a small physical barrier for intimacy (not mental) and I simply disconnect it in certain situations :) But I can understand your point :)

~ Arianna ~

diabetty6911

Hi
I am in exactly the same boat! Having so many problems with air bubbles etc that I feel I just want to give up. A pump holiday sounds good. It might help me decide what's best for me. Hate complaining about it though as I know I'm very lucky to have one. Maybe if I can get my settings right I might think differently. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sw11bloke

I reached that point with a tubed pump years ago. I eventually hated it.
Im on the Omnipod now. A MASSIVE difference. so much easier. The pod is so small. I have it on my tricep and I dont even realise im wearing it. Its easier to fill, prime and fit. You just fill the pod, remove the plastic backing, stick it on like a plaster then press a button. It has a self inserting canula and pretty much feels like a finger prick. It does anything the Medtronic does and its cheaper to buy. The PDM is about £300. The pods are £18 each. I use 2 pods a week. I really cannot understand what the fuss is about with funding on the NHS. The pdm is also your glucometer and communicates wireless with the pdm so theres less equipment to carry around. With Medtronic, its a pump, cannulas, syringes, glucometer ...... and you have issues with all that tubing. Its not so discreet if you are a man. Youre limited to where u can wear it.... the insertion needles are so long and its painful to insert.....

Ask Omnipod for a trial.... youll be completely won over.

mummy78

sw11bloke said:
I reached that point with a tubed pump years ago. I eventually hated it.
Im on the Omnipod now. A MASSIVE difference. so much easier. The pod is so small. I have it on my tricep and I dont even realise im wearing it. Its easier to fill, prime and fit. You just fill the pod, remove the plastic backing, stick it on like a plaster then press a button. It has a self inserting canula and pretty much feels like a finger prick. It does anything the Medtronic does and its cheaper to buy. The PDM is about £300. The pods are £18 each. I use 2 pods a week. I really cannot understand what the fuss is about with funding on the NHS. The pdm is also your glucometer and communicates wireless with the pdm so theres less equipment to carry around. With Medtronic, its a pump, cannulas, syringes, glucometer ...... and you have issues with all that tubing. Its not so discreet if you are a man. Youre limited to where u can wear it.... the insertion needles are so long and its painful to insert.....

Ask Omnipod for a trial.... youll be completely won over.

That's very interesting for me too :). But why do you pay it? I mean can't you get it for free from your hospital and NHS? :?

~ Arianna ~

sw11bloke

im not paying. the nhs is. Im just saying this because I do believe its cheaper than a tubed pump. The PCT / CCGs are refusing to fund the Omnipod. You really have to fight your case to get one and when you show them these figures as opposed to Medtronic..... it helps sway them.

mummy78

sw11bloke said:
im not paying. the nhs is. Im just saying this because I do believe its cheaper than a tubed pump. The PCT / CCGs are refusing to fund the Omnipod. You really have to fight your case to get one and when you show them these figures as opposed to Medtronic..... it helps sway them.

I see :) next time I want to ask my consultant about it. I'm very inquiring and I wonder if I can get it easily here in Italy (I don't think so, but I'll try anyway ). Thank you :)

~ Arianna ~

jagger38

Hi there, I feel like this, although I am on an animas vibe pump. Today went I woke up, my blood sugar was on 16, and I had ketones. This isn't the first time this has happened. My tubing wasn't twisted, I could not see any air bubbles, it was very frustrating. I must had an air bubble at some point, which resulted in non delivery of insulin.

I hate my tubing, I end up checking it constantly throughout the day, and am always doing ketones tests. Problem is I have only had the vibe a short time, my other animas pump, the buttons were getting stuck on it, and they changed it. I would be interested in an omnipod, but will now have to wait another four years. I am thinking of having a pump holiday too, I can carb count, it can't be that hard to go back to injections for a while. Another sore point I have, is finding a suitable site change area. I currently use only my stomach and sides. I did try my bottom, but that failed, so don't trust using that again. I also don't want to use my thighs, as I know absorption is slower there. When I had my first pump, I loved it, now it just feels like an extra worry I have to carry around. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but being on a pump isn't all plain sailing, and my anxiety levels have got a lot worse recently. Glad to know there are others who feel the same way. :(

sw11bloke

the omnipod is amazing. you just attach the pod and forget its there. wearing it on the back of my arm is also great. I love it.
After going on the omnipod for 3 weeks now, I cannot imagine life without it. Its so easy and simple.
I do recomend it highly.

Juls_reid

I've been on my animas vibe pump for 18 months. It's my first pump. I used to really struggle with bedtime as I often got tangled up but I heard about a great website called funkypumpers.com which sell pump accessories. I got a Lycra band which goes round your waist and holds your pump. It's the best :) it holds my pump really securely. I even wear it under my clothes. As for crazy blood sugars, I find doing regular basal checks help. I hate my pump sometimes but I would never go back to injections.